Zune

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Tried to install the Zune 4.0 software on R2 today, but it gave the typical “OS unsupported” error. Some binging led to this article:
      http://blogs.technet.com/roblarson/archive/2008/11/21/installing-zune-3-1-on-windows-server-2008-x64.aspx

It’s about Zune 3.1 and Server 2008, but I found that the same method works with the newer versions as well. And yes, you do have to install it as the local administrator, simply being in the administrators group isn’t enough, the installer will simply rewind at some point and exit quietly.
      Edit: one of the comments mentions running the .msi from an elevated command prompt. I didn’t try that, but it should work as well, and might be a bit faster than switching to the administrator account.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

Here’s how to get the new Zune 4.2 on your Server 2008 R2:

1) download the installer from Microsoft:
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9d25c2a6-cae3-49b0-a474-124fe79628a8
      Or from zune.net when the maintenance is over. Updating from within Zune itself gives the “OS not supported” error.
      2) uninstall the current version (if this is the first time installing Zune, skip to the next step):
      http://blogs.msdn.com/dzazzo/archive/2008/11/25/upgrading-to-zune-3-1-from-zune-3-0-on-windows-server-2008.aspx
      You cannot uninstall it from Control Panel since the uninstaller also gives the “OS not supported” error 🙄
      3) run the downloaded executable and extract the files to somewhere on your computer (say, Desktop). Drop to an elevated command prompt, navigate to the folder where you extracted the files and run x64packageszune-x64.msi. This is faster than switching to the local admin account, which the guide I linked to in my previous post tells you to do.

That should be it.

Edit: oops, had the wrong link in step 2. It’s fixed now.

Anonymous

Here’s how to get the new Zune 4.2 on your Server 2008 R2:

1) download the installer from Microsoft:
        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9d25c2a6-cae3-49b0-a474-124fe79628a8
        Or from zune.net when the maintenance is over. Updating from within Zune itself gives the “OS not supported” error.
        2) uninstall the current version (if this is the first time installing Zune, skip to the next step):
        http://blogs.msdn.com/dzazzo/archive/2008/11/25/upgrading-to-zune-3-1-from-zune-3-0-on-windows-server-2008.aspx
        You cannot uninstall it from Control Panel since the uninstaller also gives the “OS not supported” error 🙄
        3) run the downloaded executable and extract the files to somewhere on your computer (say, Desktop). Drop to an elevated command prompt, navigate to the folder where you extracted the files and run x64packageszune-x64.msi. This is faster than switching to the local admin account, which the guide I linked to in my previous post tells you to do.

That should be it.

Edit: oops, had the wrong link in step 2. It’s fixed now.

Arris

Good job, that’s a nice how-to! 🙂 I’m sure this will be useful for several people! 😉

Anonymous

Good job, that’s a nice how-to! 🙂 I’m sure this will be useful for several people! 😉

[attachment=1:1eegqmqr]zune.jpg[/attachment:1eegqmqr]
            Today, this optional update appeared in my Windows Update manager (maybe because I installed Windows Phone 7 SDK)…
            So, I think that Zune Software is now officially supported in Windows Server 2008 R2!

edit: If I try to install it, I got this error message…
            [attachment=0:1eegqmqr]zune2.jpg[/attachment:1eegqmqr]
            So, sorry, it doesn’t work… 🙁

Anonymous

[attachment=1:1eegqmqr]zune.jpg[/attachment:1eegqmqr]
              Today, this optional update appeared in my Windows Update manager (maybe because I installed Windows Phone 7 SDK)…
              So, I think that Zune Software is now officially supported in Windows Server 2008 R2!

edit: If I try to install it, I got this error message…
              [attachment=0:1eegqmqr]zune2.jpg[/attachment:1eegqmqr]
              So, sorry, it doesn’t work… 🙁

Sure it does 😉

[attachment=0:3l051bqm]zune_r2.jpg[/attachment:3l051bqm]

Anonymous

Sure it does 😉

[attachment=0:3l051bqm]zune_r2.jpg[/attachment:3l051bqm]

Hi guys!
                I have installed Zune as you mention in the thread and the installation process works ok. However when I try to run Zune it show me this error message.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Thank you very much for your time!

Anonymous

Hi guys!
                  I have installed Zune as you mention in the thread and the installation process works ok. However when I try to run Zune it show me this error message.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Thank you very much for your time!

Sorry, can’t help you. I don’t use either Zune or R2 anymore.

Maybe someone else can help you out.

Anonymous

Sorry, can’t help you. I don’t use either Zune or R2 anymore.

Maybe someone else can help you out.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.