Workstation Converter 1.2 for R2?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware Compatibility Workstation Converter 1.2 for R2?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I had the standard windows 7 Aero theme enabled and working before coming across this tool. Without realizing that it may cause issues (since it already was working), I clicked through the options again, however, after restarting the computer, Aero as well as the option to pick any theme all together is gone.

In the personalization section, the themes box is blank, and for the previews of desktop, sound, etc, it just says “loading” but nothing ever comes up.

Thanks in advance if anyone has seen this / has a solution.

Holy crap, i just went through this problem last night. I tried reinstalling the themes, uninstalling desktop experience, no matter what i did, it ended up like that, with just “loading” on the options.
      In the end after i had spent over an hour on it, i decided to reinstall from scratch, since a reinstall took less time then i had spent on it.

I have stopped using the converter, and just went through the guide manually, and it seems to be the best way to stop it from happening again.

Anonymous

Holy crap, i just went through this problem last night. I tried reinstalling the themes, uninstalling desktop experience, no matter what i did, it ended up like that, with just “loading” on the options.
        In the end after i had spent over an hour on it, i decided to reinstall from scratch, since a reinstall took less time then i had spent on it.

I have stopped using the converter, and just went through the guide manually, and it seems to be the best way to stop it from happening again.

I have used teh converter on R2, however you need to do things in a certain order.

Install the graphics card driver first and foremost. This will prevent any problems with the theme service from happening. DO NOT ENABLE THE THEMES UNTILL THE REST OF THE OPTIONS ARE DONE.

Themes must be enabled last. Also DO NOT DO ANY WINDOWS UPDATES AFTER THE THEMES HAVE BEEN INSTALLED. There is one update I got that broke them after I installed it. 🙁

If possible use the UXTheme patcher (windows 7 x64) from deviantart instead, and any themes there. YOU MUST USE WINDOWS 7 X64 THEMES THOSE ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT DO NOT GIVE ANY ISSUES.

Anonymous

I have used teh converter on R2, however you need to do things in a certain order.

Install the graphics card driver first and foremost. This will prevent any problems with the theme service from happening. DO NOT ENABLE THE THEMES UNTILL THE REST OF THE OPTIONS ARE DONE.

Themes must be enabled last. Also DO NOT DO ANY WINDOWS UPDATES AFTER THE THEMES HAVE BEEN INSTALLED. There is one update I got that broke them after I installed it. 🙁

If possible use the UXTheme patcher (windows 7 x64) from deviantart instead, and any themes there. YOU MUST USE WINDOWS 7 X64 THEMES THOSE ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT DO NOT GIVE ANY ISSUES.

If you dont use the converter, and enable the desktop experience using the guide, you can use windows updates and do everything else normally.

I havent patched my theme file though.

Anonymous

If you dont use the converter, and enable the desktop experience using the guide, you can use windows updates and do everything else normally.

I havent patched my theme file though.

Greetings,

I highly recommend using the UxStyle Service tool that runs as a Windows Service, and allows you to use customized Visual Themes without having to patch any system files. The tool runs well in Server 2008 R2 and has a minimal resource usage (only 500k). This way you can use Windows 7 customized visual styles without having to worry about any patched system files being overwritten by updates, etc.

The tool is available as a free download from here:

http://uxstyle.com/

Simply download the zip, extract, and install the x64 version. Once installed the service starts immediately, no need to reboot, and you can install custom Visual Styles.

Enjoy!

Anonymous

Greetings,

I highly recommend using the UxStyle Service tool that runs as a Windows Service, and allows you to use customized Visual Themes without having to patch any system files. The tool runs well in Server 2008 R2 and has a minimal resource usage (only 500k). This way you can use Windows 7 customized visual styles without having to worry about any patched system files being overwritten by updates, etc.

The tool is available as a free download from here:

http://uxstyle.com/

Simply download the zip, extract, and install the x64 version. Once installed the service starts immediately, no need to reboot, and you can install custom Visual Styles.

Enjoy!

Aah, the loveliness of the Windows Server backup tool. I always create a baseline system state backup when I first install Windows Server. Before I even begin installing ANYTHING (drivers, roles, features, software) that way I can revert back if need be. Then once I install all theme packages, desktop experience, etc etc blah blah blah then I create another system image and write over the other one once I know it is stable.

Anonymous

Aah, the loveliness of the Windows Server backup tool. I always create a baseline system state backup when I first install Windows Server. Before I even begin installing ANYTHING (drivers, roles, features, software) that way I can revert back if need be. Then once I install all theme packages, desktop experience, etc etc blah blah blah then I create another system image and write over the other one once I know it is stable.

Viewing 10 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.