Windows XP Professional x64

Forums Operating Systems Other Windows Operating Systems Miscellaneous Windows XP Professional x64

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Guess I’m the first one to post here hehe

So…. Windows XP Professional x64 what’s your honest opinion about it? What was your thoughts when using it, did it felt better then the 32-bit version? Did you have any problems using it, installing software, drivers? Did you notice a performance difference. And how is it compared to it’s successors?

I haven’t really tried it that much to be honest, but what brought it to my attention was that it was based on the rock-solid Windows Server 2003 kernel making it 5.2
        And since I love everything that have with server OSes to do i thought to myself, why not try it.

I must say that the little I tried it SysWOW64 I loved it 😀 , compared to the regular 32-bit version this felt somehow new to me even if most of it still was the same, at this point we all know XP inside and out.
        Can’t say that I had any problems installing things that I throwed at it and it definitely felt snappier.

But I’m finally using Windows 7 Professional x64 as my primary OS on my gaming rig (couldn’t decide at first, R2 had some issues with an emulator that used a special plugin that didn’t showed up which it does on 7, too bad, I really really wanted R2 so much on that rig :cry:), and I must say that if 7 wasn’t in existence this is what I would have used instead, no question about it and the fact that it’s based on Windows Server 2003 makes it even better.

I’m sorry but Vista and R1 is something I want to put behind me, to many issues sadly, R2 working perfectly on my laptop with SQL Server and Visual Studio and some other tools, so I don’t see any reason going back.

I think that Windows XP Professional x64 could have been something really good but now it’s getting more and more dead and sadly I don’t feel as strong for XP/W2k3 anymore as I did a couple of years ago.
        I really understand people who still uses XP both 32-bit and 64-bit, it’s a beast and I’m typing on a really old machine right now with XP on it and it’s still kicking 🙂

I’m looking forward to see you posting your thoughts and share your experiences with it.

Hi,

Well, let me be the second one ….

Just like yourself, I’ve used XP-X64 for a couple of months.
        Found some issues with it that bothered me and dumped it for W2K8S-R2 which IMHO is still the best thing since sliced bread.

The problem with the X64 version of XP is that it’s a bit of a mixed bag, it still came with too much stuff that wasn’t integrated the way it should have been.
        One example was Outlook Express which I’ve been using for many years but had the habit of opening embedded urls in the 64 bit version of IE which is kind of a nuisance.
        IE-X64 is still lacking third party support to this day but the problem got somewhat circumvented by the omission of the venerable OE from the new OSes altogether.
        Windows Live now serves nicely as a mail client with plenty of options just in case and without the overhead of a hog such as Outlook.

I used to deploy W2K3-S as a workstation as well and so I turned XP-X64 into a W2K3-S lookalike much like the W2K8S WS conversion routine that’s being touted nowadays.
        You know, classic desktop, explorer etc. All of which made it faster and much more the “Porsche” style I like so much.

I must say I never, ever had a BSOD since W2K3-S, be that the X86 version or the X64 one but all in all the X64 version sure does “feel” faster and steadier given the right hardware and plenty of ram.

All in all, straight out of the box, it isn’t all that impressive but once SP’ed and stripped to the bone, yeah, it can fly alright. 😎
        The same observations go for the X64 version of W2K3-S as a WS wich should come as no surprise.

Vista was everything I really do not want so, no comment other than SUX.

Truth is, if it weren’t for W2K3-S I wouldn’t have bothered with XP either. W2K3-S just showed what XP was trying so hard to hide….

Cheers, 😉

$

Anonymous

Hi,

Well, let me be the second one ….

Just like yourself, I’ve used XP-X64 for a couple of months.
          Found some issues with it that bothered me and dumped it for W2K8S-R2 which IMHO is still the best thing since sliced bread.

The problem with the X64 version of XP is that it’s a bit of a mixed bag, it still came with too much stuff that wasn’t integrated the way it should have been.
          One example was Outlook Express which I’ve been using for many years but had the habit of opening embedded urls in the 64 bit version of IE which is kind of a nuisance.
          IE-X64 is still lacking third party support to this day but the problem got somewhat circumvented by the omission of the venerable OE from the new OSes altogether.
          Windows Live now serves nicely as a mail client with plenty of options just in case and without the overhead of a hog such as Outlook.

I used to deploy W2K3-S as a workstation as well and so I turned XP-X64 into a W2K3-S lookalike much like the W2K8S WS conversion routine that’s being touted nowadays.
          You know, classic desktop, explorer etc. All of which made it faster and much more the “Porsche” style I like so much.

I must say I never, ever had a BSOD since W2K3-S, be that the X86 version or the X64 one but all in all the X64 version sure does “feel” faster and steadier given the right hardware and plenty of ram.

All in all, straight out of the box, it isn’t all that impressive but once SP’ed and stripped to the bone, yeah, it can fly alright. 😎
          The same observations go for the X64 version of W2K3-S as a WS wich should come as no surprise.

Vista was everything I really do not want so, no comment other than SUX.

Truth is, if it weren’t for W2K3-S I wouldn’t have bothered with XP either. W2K3-S just showed what XP was trying so hard to hide….

Cheers, 😉

$

I like XP x64, a lot. Of course I’ve n-lited all the junk out of mine.

It’s fast, it’s light weight, it’s stable, it’s got fairly good hardware support, and oddly enough, I have fewer game compatibility issues than with Windows 7, especially with older games (1998-2002 era).

Anonymous

I like XP x64, a lot. Of course I’ve n-lited all the junk out of mine.

It’s fast, it’s light weight, it’s stable, it’s got fairly good hardware support, and oddly enough, I have fewer game compatibility issues than with Windows 7, especially with older games (1998-2002 era).

I’m a Multiboot freak. I use Windows XP x64, WinServer2008R2 Enterprise and Ubuntu, and about XP x64 I have to say it just rocks to have XP Rock-hard stability and low RAM footprint with more than 3 GB RAM support without PAE. I would really say that XP x86 and x64 would beat Win7 if it wasn’t for DirectX 11, cause I can live without Aero.

All my hardware is supported, be it from the drivers CD or even from Microsoft update, is just wonderful.

Anonymous

I’m a Multiboot freak. I use Windows XP x64, WinServer2008R2 Enterprise and Ubuntu, and about XP x64 I have to say it just rocks to have XP Rock-hard stability and low RAM footprint with more than 3 GB RAM support without PAE. I would really say that XP x86 and x64 would beat Win7 if it wasn’t for DirectX 11, cause I can live without Aero.

All my hardware is supported, be it from the drivers CD or even from Microsoft update, is just wonderful.

Hi all, I use Windows XP 64bit 3 years ago and everything was going fine, no BSOD, many drivers and compatibility with many programs, is completely stable for me, because my computer is powered on 24/7/365 and only turn it off when I have to make a maintenance and / or cleaning, in addition to the reboots that is updated whenever the patches from windows update. All my hardware is fully compatible, no need to be fixing any problems.

Anonymous

Hi all, I use Windows XP 64bit 3 years ago and everything was going fine, no BSOD, many drivers and compatibility with many programs, is completely stable for me, because my computer is powered on 24/7/365 and only turn it off when I have to make a maintenance and / or cleaning, in addition to the reboots that is updated whenever the patches from windows update. All my hardware is fully compatible, no need to be fixing any problems.

Viewing 8 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.