WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 R2 Miscellaneous WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Not even a year out on the market and M$ is coming up with an R2 edition of Server 2012……

Windows Server 2012 R2 editions :

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter is designed for highly virtualized datacenter and cloud environments.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard is designed for physical or minimally virtualized environments.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is ideal for small businesses that have as many as 25 users and 50 devices.

More here :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

N 🙂

Anonymous

@ExpertUser wrote:

Not even a year out on the market and M$ is coming up with an R2 edition of Server 2012……

Windows Server 2012 R2 editions :

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter is designed for highly virtualized datacenter and cloud environments.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard is designed for physical or minimally virtualized environments.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is ideal for small businesses that have as many as 25 users and 50 devices.

More here :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

N 🙂

I know. I have signed up for the preview allready. 😉

Anonymous

Windows 8 users will get the free upgrade to 8.1 and for Windows Server 2012 users there is not free meals to upgrade to the R2 version.

Anonymous

@maclancer wrote:

Windows 8 users will get the free upgrade to 8.1 and for Windows Server 2012 users there is not free meals to upgrade to the R2 version.

Perhaps, but there is Dreamspark.

Anonymous

+2 for Dreamspark and MSDN

Anonymous

I’ll be able to get 2012 R2 via my TechNet sub!

😀

Anonymous

will this be a service pack {.exe file}…or a whole new .iso altogether 🙄

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

will this be a service pack {.exe file}…or a whole new .iso altogether 🙄

On client Windows 8, it will come throught Windows Store. It is pretty likely this will be one of the ways of installing it in here as well. Independed iso-s will probably be available as well. Fresh installs after RTM are probably recomanded, because Windows 8.1 it said to have, as fresh instalations, only 4gb. This means that, even if WS2012 r2 will need more, it will be considerable less then WS2012 as we know it.

Anonymous

Like I have said in another tread on this forum, I have subscribed to the preview version of Windows Server 2012 r2, when it will be available, and to the beta of the new SCEP version, I assume they will come in the same time. That will probably the only antivirus with support for a server version of Windows NT 6.3 .

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

Like I have said in another tread on this forum, I have subscribed to the preview version of Windows Server 2012 r2, when it will be available, and to the beta of the new SCEP version, I assume they will come in the same time. That will probably the only antivirus with support for a server version of Windows NT 6.3 .

Did you ever beta test new SCEP version?

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

That will probably the only antivirus with support for a server version of Windows NT 6.3 .

microsoft security essentials will still work with windows server 2k12 r2 right ❓

Anonymous

There is not MSE beta, as far as I know, to work with WS2012r2. There is a SCEP beta, featuring (most likely) the beta of the new Microsoft antimalware engine, found in the Windows Defender of Windows 8.1 preview as well.

Anonymous

Well I did get some confirmation that there seems to be some sort of compositer or possibly driver interface issue on the 8.1 pro edition of NT 6.2 with NVIDIA video hardware, as yet nothing regarding AMD older ATI or Intel.

Too early to tell but the performance differences (though quite small) between the Consumer OS, and the Server OS has always intrigued me; as well as the revelations that later follow as to just why this is.

Hopefully this is just because it’s Beta, perhaps still incorporates some debug code, very high granularity logging and performance counters going full-on that makes the desktop version of NT 6.2 a little idiosyncratic.

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

There is not MSE beta, as far as I know, to work with WS2012r2.

not beta…my question is : will the the latest version of microsoft security essentials work with ws2k12 r2 like it does with the current ws2k12 ❓

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

@Lotusisrael wrote:

There is not MSE beta, as far as I know, to work with WS2012r2.

not beta…my question is : will the the latest version of microsoft security essentials work with ws2k12 r2 like it does with the current ws2k12 ❓

It works with 8.1 x64 that has the 6.3 kernel so if it works with Server 2012 then it should work with R2.

Anonymous

@RobrPatty wrote:

It works with 8.1 x64 that has the 6.3 kernel so if it works with Server 2012 then it should work with R2.[/color]

thank you once again 🙂

Anonymous

I have been testing my upgrade from Windows Server 2012 to 2012 R2 and I see a great amount of performance improvement. Even the booting process is more quickly. Applications start more faster. I think this is a must have upgrade if you can get the 2012 R2 version. I get mine free from dreamspark because I am a college student 😉

Anonymous

Works about the same from my perspective.

I got Immunet 3.0 (ClamAV 0.98) installed alongside MalwareBytes PRO without a problem for security (temporary at this time). Immunet complained of some compatibility being questionable, but it worked.

Spybot S&D 2 is a no go thanks to Microsoft and the slipshod Program Compatibility Assistant blocking it with a hard-lock. Safer-Networking has a patch, but Microsoft still has it totally blocked.

Comodo IS is non-installable also at this time. I may test it with the Application Verifier later however.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.