Windows Photo Viewer Without Desktop Experience

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Windows Photo Viewer Without Desktop Experience

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      hoak
      Participant

Does anyone know if it’s possible to install the ‘Windows Photo Viewer‘ without installing ‘Desktop Experience‘?

😐

Arris

Here is how to do that:
          1. Copy the %ProgramFiles%Windows Photo Viewer folder from an x64 Windows 7 installation or an installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 which has the Desktop Experience feature installed.
          2. Do a regsvr32 on the PhotoViewer.dll file: regsvr32 /i “%ProgramFiles%Windows Photo ViewerPhotoViewer.dll”
          3. Export the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTApplicationsphotoviewer.dll branch from the source registry and import it into the target OS.
          4. Open the context menu of some image (jpg/bmp/png/…) an choose Choose default program in the Open With menu. Expand the Other Programs section and click Windows Photo Viewer. Make sure the “Always use…” checkbox is set and click OK.

Good luck! 🙂

hoak
          Participant

Arris, you and your forum, are such an amazing gift of good will! You and Nederlanders like you never cease to amaze and remind me what it is to be good (and what a terrible place I live).

Thank you (AGAIN!)…

😀

Arris

I’m glad it works! 🙂

Found it out by running Sysinternals Process Explorer at a system which has Windows Photo Viewer application running and viewing the files/folder needed. After that a search in the registry for PhotoViewer.dll and a bit of luck pointed me to the registry branch needed to be able to run WPV. 😉

I was actually going to try that same approach Arris. Except I would take the lazy man way out and do a manual search in the registry for “Photoviewer.dll” 😀 I’ve been so busy with bachelors that i haven’t had any time to comment on site. On a side note I installed server 2008 on a dinosaur AMD Athlon 1.3GHz (single core) with 512MB of DDR PC-100 ram and 30GB HDD. It actually boots up in under 1min 20 with eboostr running. Hey its nothing fancy, but it gets you online does what you need it to do. For free i can’t complain. I could have put XP in it so it could run a little smoother, but to tell you the truth there isn’t that much of a performance loss. With antivirus the system is only using 53% of RAM. Not too shabby.

Arris

@halladayrules wrote:

Except I would take the lazy man way out and do a manual search in the registry for “Photoviewer.dll” 😀

Haha, and why would you do that!? :mrgreen:
                @halladayrules wrote:

I’ve been so busy with bachelors that i haven’t had any time to comment on site.

No problem, school is main priority. 🙂 Currently I also have much homework for my study, but I try to spend at least one moment per week to do some work for the forum/manual. 😎
                @halladayrules wrote:

On a side note I installed server 2008 on a dinosaur AMD Athlon 1.3GHz (single core) with 512MB of DDR PC-100 ram and 30GB HDD.

Impressive, running Windows 6.0 on such an old PC! 😆 You could use it without anti-virus to have some more free CPU time: you might win something and anti-virus software is often not very useful for our kind of users anyways. :geek: I don’t have an anti-virus on this PC nor my laptop. If I don’t trust some kind of file I open it in a virtual machine or do a test-run at Anubis.

Good luck with the study! 🙂

I succeed to install but I can not print ?

nothing apend when Ctrl P

do you arrive ?

I pikup the “windows photo viewer” from a Win 2008 R2 with Desktop Experience

I put on Win 2008 R2 with RDS

Viewing 6 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.