Win7 Vs 2008r2

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Win7 Vs 2008r2

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

Is there any features that is on windows 7 Ultimaate and it is not on the server 2008r2? After all the tweak, It looks same as Windows7.

ask to your self why you think you need a server os instead of windows 7 :geek:

Anonymous

ask to your self why you think you need a server os instead of windows 7 :geek:

Well, I was thinking getting Windows 7, but since I can get 2008r2 for free, I don’t know if It is still worth it to 7.

Anonymous

Well, I was thinking getting Windows 7, but since I can get 2008r2 for free, I don’t know if It is still worth it to 7.

There’s a couple of features that are still unavailable (in that there aren’t any tweaks or hacks that can enable them yet). Mobility Center, WinSAT, Games Explorer and ReadyBoost/SuperFetch are a few that spring to mind.

Anonymous

There’s a couple of features that are still unavailable (in that there aren’t any tweaks or hacks that can enable them yet). Mobility Center, WinSAT, Games Explorer and ReadyBoost/SuperFetch are a few that spring to mind.

I am actually happier with R1 then I was with R2. I had it installed NON-VM and it seemed empty. No superfetch, WMP12 left lots to desire, and new taskbar was strange, and it generally felt watered down then the experience than R1 gave me. I really wish they did not remove so many good features like SF from R2! I tried the program mentioned here that was an alternative and it did not give me the same experience as good ol superfetch did. There’s another alternative app but the website never works and its very hard to find. it was bookmarked on that install but I reformatted to to back to R1 since R2 was also not working well with the design software I use that I cannot name.

From what I can gather R2 is a “hardend server OS” so they would encourage the R1 people to switch to 7. But I dare not be using 7 because a server OS is more secure and less DRM crap and less BS consumer grade embarrassing stuff is in it.

I may go with R2 if i need to, but for now I am fine with R1. I am not suggesting you regress, however, since I do not want to sound arrogant and forceful. Also adopting the latest OS is not always the greatest. I seem to adopt every other OS, or stick with R1 server builds like I did with server 2003 back then. But you have to think though? Is R2 really that much of a change? or is it just a interface makeover with a few extras thrown in to convince you it’s not vista?

This is what confuses me about Microsoft. They have not really changed much of the NT stack since windows 2000. And every OS release sems to be anotehr effort to convince us they are “changing” but they really are not. I will wait for midori to come out . I hope that it is different and fresh and new but not watered down like 7 was. let us hardcore people have our configurability please!

Anonymous

I am actually happier with R1 then I was with R2. I had it installed NON-VM and it seemed empty. No superfetch, WMP12 left lots to desire, and new taskbar was strange, and it generally felt watered down then the experience than R1 gave me. I really wish they did not remove so many good features like SF from R2! I tried the program mentioned here that was an alternative and it did not give me the same experience as good ol superfetch did. There’s another alternative app but the website never works and its very hard to find. it was bookmarked on that install but I reformatted to to back to R1 since R2 was also not working well with the design software I use that I cannot name.

From what I can gather R2 is a “hardend server OS” so they would encourage the R1 people to switch to 7. But I dare not be using 7 because a server OS is more secure and less DRM crap and less BS consumer grade embarrassing stuff is in it.

I may go with R2 if i need to, but for now I am fine with R1. I am not suggesting you regress, however, since I do not want to sound arrogant and forceful. Also adopting the latest OS is not always the greatest. I seem to adopt every other OS, or stick with R1 server builds like I did with server 2003 back then. But you have to think though? Is R2 really that much of a change? or is it just a interface makeover with a few extras thrown in to convince you it’s not vista?

This is what confuses me about Microsoft. They have not really changed much of the NT stack since windows 2000. And every OS release sems to be anotehr effort to convince us they are “changing” but they really are not. I will wait for midori to come out . I hope that it is different and fresh and new but not watered down like 7 was. let us hardcore people have our configurability please!

I gotta type this in a new post since the post box jumps around after the box is full and it needs to scroll (IE8)

I am also starting to think they massed up with vista, so they put out a new OS as mainly a PR stunt to get themselves back on thier feet for midori.

I seriously hope midori is amazing and fast.

Becuase it seems as if a new OS comes out and you get a new computer it feels the same as the old one. I hope midori will make any computer fast.

Anonymous

I gotta type this in a new post since the post box jumps around after the box is full and it needs to scroll (IE8)

I am also starting to think they massed up with vista, so they put out a new OS as mainly a PR stunt to get themselves back on thier feet for midori.

I seriously hope midori is amazing and fast.

Becuase it seems as if a new OS comes out and you get a new computer it feels the same as the old one. I hope midori will make any computer fast.

RemixedCat, if you want “configurability” and something “different and fresh“, then you should definitely try Linux. 😉

I have no idea why are you expecting so much from Midori. This thing is going to be VERY slow because it will be 100% managed, including drivers, kernel and even scheduler! The ONLY unmanaged code in Midori is going to be the VM itself.

@Indrek wrote:

Besides, there are few 3rd-party applications that work on 7 but not on R2.
                But if you are a student, R2 is still the best for being free. I’ve also chosen R2 just because of DreamSpark. (even though I can actually afford Win7, I just don’t think it deserves $200)

Anonymous

RemixedCat, if you want “configurability” and something “different and fresh“, then you should definitely try Linux. 😉

I have no idea why are you expecting so much from Midori. This thing is going to be VERY slow because it will be 100% managed, including drivers, kernel and even scheduler! The ONLY unmanaged code in Midori is going to be the VM itself.

@Indrek wrote:

Besides, there are few 3rd-party applications that work on 7 but not on R2.
                  But if you are a student, R2 is still the best for being free. I’ve also chosen R2 just because of DreamSpark. (even though I can actually afford Win7, I just don’t think it deserves $200)

Since midori will have MANAGED CODE it will be faster since it will release memory faster and it will completly release memory, thus reducing the footprint on your system, thus making it faster!

Anonymous

Since midori will have MANAGED CODE it will be faster since it will release memory faster and it will completly release memory, thus reducing the footprint on your system, thus making it faster!

Managed code is always slower than unmanaged by definition. Just because it’s managed. And, speaking of memory management, there is no way automatic garbage collection can improve performance (actually, it’s notorious for the opposite).

P.S. This is my last off-topic post in this thread.

Anonymous

Managed code is always slower than unmanaged by definition. Just because it’s managed. And, speaking of memory management, there is no way automatic garbage collection can improve performance (actually, it’s notorious for the opposite).

P.S. This is my last off-topic post in this thread.

At most it would be 5% slower and the savings and speed would be recooperated from lack of memory leaks and holes.

Anonymous

At most it would be 5% slower and the savings and speed would be recooperated from lack of memory leaks and holes.

Remixedcat,

I don’t think you understand the ramifications of what your are saying. The next windows release will not be 100% managed code, because if it were, it would be far too slow.

I have to say, your sticking with R1 is not the smartest move.

Running win2k3 over XP made sense because it was newer, faster, leaner and more secure.

The same for win2k8 over vista, to a lesser extent.

With R2 and 7…..R2 is matched to 7. You are basically running Vista, which makes no sense for you line of work, which from what you have said is graphic and multimedia assign.

Why not just use 7? Why do you use a server OS? Is it just to be different? I really cant understand it from a technical point of view.

Anonymous

Remixedcat,

I don’t think you understand the ramifications of what your are saying. The next windows release will not be 100% managed code, because if it were, it would be far too slow.

I have to say, your sticking with R1 is not the smartest move.

Running win2k3 over XP made sense because it was newer, faster, leaner and more secure.

The same for win2k8 over vista, to a lesser extent.

With R2 and 7…..R2 is matched to 7. You are basically running Vista, which makes no sense for you line of work, which from what you have said is graphic and multimedia assign.

Why not just use 7? Why do you use a server OS? Is it just to be different? I really cant understand it from a technical point of view.

If you guys wish to continue discussing Midori / Singularity, make a topic in the [localurl=viewforum.php?f=3:ulpdndnf]Open Topic[/localurl:ulpdndnf] forum.

Here are a few links that may be of interest within your discussion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(operating_system)
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(operating_system)
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managed_code

It seems like you guys have already read these based on what you have said, but just in case anyone else was slightly confused on what you guys are talking about.

Anonymous

If you guys wish to continue discussing Midori / Singularity, make a topic in the [localurl=viewforum.php?f=3:ulpdndnf]Open Topic[/localurl:ulpdndnf] forum.

Here are a few links that may be of interest within your discussion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(operating_system)
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(operating_system)
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managed_code

It seems like you guys have already read these based on what you have said, but just in case anyone else was slightly confused on what you guys are talking about.

Viewing 22 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.