Warning: VPN-client activates a disabled DNS-cache !

Forums General General Discussion Windows Security Warning: VPN-client activates a disabled DNS-cache !

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      hackerman1

Hi !

I´m using a HOSTS-file from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Following their recommendations i have disabled the DNS-cache in order to prevent DNS-cache poisoning.

A few days ago when i was checking some settings in “Services” i noticed that the DNS-cache was enabled !?
        I tried to disable it, which was denied because: “other services depends on it”.
        I found out that it was a process from CyberGhost VPN which i installed two months ago that needed the DNS-cache running.

But, during the installation there was no information regarding activation of the DNS-cache !?

That is unresponsible, not telling the user they are messing with the security-settings.
        So be aware, if you like me have disabled the DNS-cache in order to prevent DNS-cache poisoning, then watch out if you install CyberGhost VPN or similar VPN-clients !

I posted information about how to activate and disable the DNS-cache with a bat-file here:
        viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2635

Using those 2 bat-files it´s possible to have the DNS-cache active only when needed,
        when you are using the VPN-client.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.