upgrading from windows server 2008 to windows server 2008 r2

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous upgrading from windows server 2008 to windows server 2008 r2

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi guys,

Love this website – came in extremely handy when configuring my windows installation. I currently followed the guide at win2008workstation.com to set up my server installation, and I’ve been very happy with it for a little over a year now. However, there are some things that I need from server 2008 R2, so I would like to upgrade. I don’t see anything in the guide about upgrading from 2008 to 2008 R2, so I was wondering if you guys had any tips.

Would it be fine to just upgrade 2008 to 2008 R2 using the upgrade option on the dvd? Or do I need to do a clean install?

If I choose the upgrade route, do I still need to reconfigure everything according to the guide?

Has anyone upgraded from a 2008 workstation to a 2008 r2 workstation? Any caveats I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

1. Find out if it’s worth it.

Firstly and most importantly make absolutely, positively, no doubt in your mind cross your heart hope to die, swear on your grandmother’s grandmother’s grandmother’s grandmother’s life *gasp*, that the new features you request is worth overhauling your current configuration on 2008. At least for me personally, most of the new features added on Server 2008 R2 were useless to me (“live migration”, Active Directory additions, remote server management, powershell) I will never use these features so I don’t feel its justification enough to merit a change on my current 2008 machine. Keep in mind the difference between usability and practicality. Find your own personal healthy balance between these two. For example I run an FTP server on my machine, but I cannot live without the Aero glass! LOL. You get so accustomed to it, it becomes a prerequisite. Ok now once you’ve established your purpose now we can move on to next step.

2. Compatibility concerns

Personally, the two main issues you will run across with upgrading server platform is driver and software compatibility. To give you an example, on the desktop side I upgraded my laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7 about a year ago and I was running this “Vista-ready” webcam software on my laptop which become inoperable when i upgraded to 7. I had to do a little digging to find out that Microsoft released a beta version of the software for 7. Another example that happened to me was when I had implemented R2 on my desktop and at the time my integrated sound card went out. I had a spare PCI card that my buddy had gave me and I put it in my machine. HA what a joke. I looked in hell and high water for a driver and could not find a compatible one. R2 refused to install it from default on restart as well. I could easily go out and buy a $20-30 card to support R2 but as I said earlier I downgraded to 2008 because the new features of R2 wasn’t sufficient enough for me to keep it. The chances that you are going to have these compatibility issues with driver or software is very remote. The fact that you are able to upgrade to R2 tells me that your hardware is not prehistorically outdated or anything. The biggest beef I think you’ll find is printer/scanner/copier and camera support.

3. Know your upgrade options

Just be sure you are aware of the allowed upgrade paths from Server 2008 to Server 2008 R2. Obviously you cannot upgrade architectures from 2008 to R2 (i.e you cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.). Also you cannot upgrade from different system locales (i.e languages) if you are running Server 2008 64-bit french you cannot upgrade to 64-bit R2 English. Also you cannot upgrade to editions which are lower than your currently installed one. For example you cannot upgrade from Server 2008 64-bit Enterprise to Server 2008 R2 Standard.

Hope I have resolved all your upgrade/configuration needs and good luck with Server 2008 R2 my friend.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.