Uninstalling things that went into "Computer"

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Uninstalling things that went into "Computer"

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Instead of continuing to clutter the other thread (Microsoft Server Converter – v.1), I’ve started a new thread here. =)

Maybe it’s just my installation, but in the “Tweak” tab, if I add stuff to “Computer”, I cannot remove it. So ExpertUser has pointed out how to do it.

Someone can correct me if I’m getting any of this wrong. =)

Users
      Most of the “Added” stuff is making a registry change.

In (Program Files (x86)installation directory)r2convtweaks, you will find tweaks.xml (which is a text file that serves as the menu and parameters for the tweak tab — also seems to store state).

For example (1 entry):

8C548B93-A361-4BDD-91BA-7C67CC079F0F
      6.1.amd64
      Add "Windows Update" to Computer
      Installed

false
      inst.cmd

Notice how it says inst.cmd in Application and 8C548B93-A361-4BDD-91BA-7C67CC079F0F?

If you take a look at inst.cmd, you’ll see that there are bunch of goto labels that correspond to the parameter input — basically it’s a batch file. If you go to the right section:

inst.cmd (section):

:8C548B93-A361-4BDD-91BA-7C67CC079F0F
      reg import regmypc_add_windows_update.reg
      goto :eof

All it does is import that registry file into your registry.

In this case it’s (mypc_add_windows_update.reg):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerMyComputerNameSpace{36eef7db-88ad-4e81-ad49-0e313f0c35f8}]

So for this particular one, it looks like you can just delete the registry entry and you’re done. For others it might be different, so look first before shooting. And I guess you can always ask questions here (or on the forum).

Developers

Not sure who works on the R2Conv tool (or if it’s just ExpertUser’s work).

Anyhow, I’m not sure if the R2Conv tool currently supports any uninstallation — or plans to do that.

In those menu.xml files:

6.1.amd64
      Add "Windows Update" to Computer
      Installed

false
      inst.cmd

1) Was RCommand supposed to be the “uninstall” command? What does the XML for that look like? I couldn’t find any examples of the RCommand tag being used.

2) Also, in the r2conv logs, when you unselect one of these tweaks and Apply changes, it logs that it is doing something invalid — which implies that some sort of uninstall/removal logic was written into r2conv. Does anyone know much about this?

3) There seems to be 2 approaches to this. Modify inst.cmd or create uninst.cmd depending on how we want to partition things. Personally I’d like to modify inst.cmd. It’s a bit more complicated, but the install/uninstall for each item happens in the same place — which makes it harder to make mistakes.

Actually there’s a 3rd option, but it would involve changing R2Conv a lot more (and I haven’t thought about the update/upgrade scenarios yet). And that is to have the menu.xml stay relatively the same, but modify inst.cmd (and rename it) so that it looks for directories with GUID names. (e.g. 8C548B93-A361-4BDD-91BA-7C67CC079F0F) Depending on what it finds inside, it will handle install/uninstall appropriately by convention — e.g. *.reg => imports those; install.cmd => calls that on install; uninstall.cmd => calls that on uninstall.

Some idea like that.

4) What’s R2Conv written in anyways? (I didn’t look too hard.)

Thoughts?

(And yes, I can help out a bit.)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.