Taskbar keeps freezing…:(

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Taskbar keeps freezing…:(

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

So, I’ve been using Server 2008 as my workstation OS for about a week now, and I really like it, except for one small problem. I’ll be working just fine, and, without warning, the task bar will stop responding. All my open windows still work just fine, and I can move between them using alt-tab, but I can’t access the start menu, select windows by clicking on them, or move/minimize/close open windows using the buttons at the top.

Here’s the really weird thing – when I press ctrl-alt-del, and it takes me to the “what do you want to do” window, if I press cancel, everything works just fine again. Same thing happens if I open up the task manager, which doesn’t see any problems.

I’ve googled this, but I can only find an old problem with Vista, and, when I try to run the patch, the installer tells me that the fix does not apply to my version of Windows.

Here’s my setup:
      Windows Server 2008 64-bit
      CPU: AMD Phenom X4 2.4 GHz
      4 GB RAM

I’m running with the Window’s Vista Aero theme enabled, but I have a co-worker doing the same thing, on a very similar machine, so I doubt that’s the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Arris

Thats a weird problem indeed! Is explorer.exe, at the moment you can’t click on the Start Menu, running at 100% at one core with very much memory? At my system explorer.exe runs with 0-1% CPU average and 40MB memory on Windows Server 2008 x64. You can monitor each process with Sysinternals Process Explorer.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.