Superfetch Replacement – eBoostr only $39.00 US!

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Superfetch Replacement – eBoostr only $39.00 US!

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

I found this neat application that provides superfetch type prefetching in Windows. The program is called eBoostr and the soon to be released version 4 will be compatible with Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. Version 4 is currently in beta development and is scheduled for release on the 2nd November 2009. The program costs only US$39.00 and a free beta version is available for testing purposes.

Give it a try. It is available from their website, found at http://www.eboostr.com/

please make a review or test results 🙂

Anonymous

please make a review or test results 🙂

After a trying version 3 of the program in Server 2008 R2, I can say that it has made quite a difference in the responsiveness of the operating system. Like Superfetch, system responsiveness improves over time as the program learns what programs you use most often and preloads them into memory.

The program has a number of ways it can work, either by using your:

1. System RAM – the fastest option and similar to Superfetch. This option requires you to keep at least 1GB (2GB for Vista/Server 2008 and Windows7/2008 R2) free for the operating system. You can define how much RAM you want to be used for caching, so for example, if you select 2GB and Windows uses 1GB, 3GB of RAM will be occupied in total. If you define 512MB and Windows uses 850MB, then 1.37GB of your RAM will be occupied, and so on.

2. HDD – this option is similar to a Swap File and uses predefined space on your hard disk as an extended cache. This method is only useful for low memory systems, or if you would prefer to keep your RAM free for other purposes.

3. USB Flash Drive – this option is similar to ReadyBoost and uses the memory on a USB pen drive as a cache. While the access time of such a device is faster than a hard disk, USB 2.0 may not be as fast as SATA-II and is definitely slower than RAM. This option should only be used if your system is low on RAM and hard disk space.

The program also allows combinations of the three options for maximum performance.

All in all I am very pleased with the program and would recommend it to anyone who misses Superfetch and/or ReadyBoost in Windows Server 2008 R2. On the other hand, I have not tested it in Server 2008 R1 and cannot say how it compares with Superfetch or ReadyBoost on systems that support these technologies. If you would like to try it, a demo is available at the eBoostr website and the full version costs only US$39.00, which also includes 1 year worth of free updates. Version 4 is due for release in the next few weeks and includes even greater compatibility for Microsoft’s latest operating systems.

Anonymous

After a trying version 3 of the program in Server 2008 R2, I can say that it has made quite a difference in the responsiveness of the operating system. Like Superfetch, system responsiveness improves over time as the program learns what programs you use most often and preloads them into memory.

The program has a number of ways it can work, either by using your:

1. System RAM – the fastest option and similar to Superfetch. This option requires you to keep at least 1GB (2GB for Vista/Server 2008 and Windows7/2008 R2) free for the operating system. You can define how much RAM you want to be used for caching, so for example, if you select 2GB and Windows uses 1GB, 3GB of RAM will be occupied in total. If you define 512MB and Windows uses 850MB, then 1.37GB of your RAM will be occupied, and so on.

2. HDD – this option is similar to a Swap File and uses predefined space on your hard disk as an extended cache. This method is only useful for low memory systems, or if you would prefer to keep your RAM free for other purposes.

3. USB Flash Drive – this option is similar to ReadyBoost and uses the memory on a USB pen drive as a cache. While the access time of such a device is faster than a hard disk, USB 2.0 may not be as fast as SATA-II and is definitely slower than RAM. This option should only be used if your system is low on RAM and hard disk space.

The program also allows combinations of the three options for maximum performance.

All in all I am very pleased with the program and would recommend it to anyone who misses Superfetch and/or ReadyBoost in Windows Server 2008 R2. On the other hand, I have not tested it in Server 2008 R1 and cannot say how it compares with Superfetch or ReadyBoost on systems that support these technologies. If you would like to try it, a demo is available at the eBoostr website and the full version costs only US$39.00, which also includes 1 year worth of free updates. Version 4 is due for release in the next few weeks and includes even greater compatibility for Microsoft’s latest operating systems.

I downloaded the Beta and I might install it and see if I notice any differences.

http://beta.eboostr.com/download/

Anonymous

I downloaded the Beta and I might install it and see if I notice any differences.

http://beta.eboostr.com/download/

I also installed this, and made it allocate 256mb of my system ram because thats what Vistas SuperFetch used to do.

I was wondering something though, do you need the control panel running in the taskbar for it to actually work or is the service enough?

Anonymous

I also installed this, and made it allocate 256mb of my system ram because thats what Vistas SuperFetch used to do.

I was wondering something though, do you need the control panel running in the taskbar for it to actually work or is the service enough?

@Krkan wrote:

Hi. No, the control panel does not need to be running in the taskar for it to work as the program runs as a service behind the scenes. I hope this helps.

Anonymous

@Krkan wrote:

Hi. No, the control panel does not need to be running in the taskar for it to work as the program runs as a service behind the scenes. I hope this helps.

uhh that’s a little steep cost wise for that though. oh well. It’s easier for me to stick with R1 for now 🙂

Anonymous

uhh that’s a little steep cost wise for that though. oh well. It’s easier for me to stick with R1 for now 🙂

@RemixedCat wrote:

Use the beta if you think it’s stable enough.

Anonymous

@RemixedCat wrote:

Use the beta if you think it’s stable enough.

allright 🙂

Anonymous

allright 🙂

Especially if you are using a VM you can test it out with nothing to worry about if something goes wrong.

Anonymous

Especially if you are using a VM you can test it out with nothing to worry about if something goes wrong.

This is working pretty good so installed it on my other pc with XP 64. Everyone who uses the R2 version should install it. Allocating 256mb or system ram seems to be enough to make a difference.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a beta version, seems stable to me.

Anonymous

This is working pretty good so installed it on my other pc with XP 64. Everyone who uses the R2 version should install it. Allocating 256mb or system ram seems to be enough to make a difference.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a beta version, seems stable to me.

thanks for review, looks like a stable program for me – I’m now on testing.

Anonymous

thanks for review, looks like a stable program for me – I’m now on testing.

Viewing 22 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.