Server 2008 R2 v.s Vista Business 64bit

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Server 2008 R2 v.s Vista Business 64bit

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings,

After downloading and installing the evaluation of Windows Server 2008 R2 on a separate partition, I have been able to compare it with my current operating system, Windows Vista Business x64.

Most of the software installed in Vista installs in Server 2008 R2. It is only client based software that cannot be installed on a server os that is any sort of issue. Most drivers designed for Windows 7 also work well.

It would appear that Superfetch has been removed from Server 2008 R2. I have searched forums, Technet, MSDN, for any clues as to how or why, but to no avail. I have to admit that without it Vista Business x64 seems a little more responsive. Vista has a longer boot and login process, I mean Vista takes longer to do its thing until the hard disk has stopped spinning than Server 2008 R2, but when it has finished it generally loads applications a little faster – no doubt Superfetch doing its job.

I do like Server 2008 R2’s GUI enhancements, such as the vastly improved taskbar and how it shows a progress bar type graphic in the application tab and the ability to close an application directly in the tab preview popup window.

All in all I am enjoying testing Server 2008 R2. It is quite a different experience than Vista and Microsoft have obviously put a lot of effort to ensure it is a solid and secure operating system. If Superfetch could be enabled some how, then it would be perfect.

SuperFetch is already on the [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=25&t=972:1z5z9y8e]Wish List[/localurl:1z5z9y8e] which means that members of the win2008[r2]workstation community are trying to get it to work on R2.

Anonymous

SuperFetch is already on the [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=25&t=972:1z5z9y8e]Wish List[/localurl:1z5z9y8e] which means that members of the win2008[r2]workstation community are trying to get it to work on R2.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.