Repair install possible?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Repair install possible?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve given up on trying to resolve my rebooting issues.

I understand Windows 7 had the option of doing a repair install, leaving programs and profiles intact. Is this also a possibility for R2?

If you are referring to the “repair your computer” link unless you created a backup image in Windows Server backup that included a system state backup then you are out of luck. The same is true for Windows 7. Unless you creating an image using Complete PC Restore then they are out of luck as well. Hopefully you implemented a good disaster recovery plan, or at the very least made hard copies of your important data onto separate hard drives/flash drives, CD/DVDs, whatever.

Anonymous

If you are referring to the “repair your computer” link unless you created a backup image in Windows Server backup that included a system state backup then you are out of luck. The same is true for Windows 7. Unless you creating an image using Complete PC Restore then they are out of luck as well. Hopefully you implemented a good disaster recovery plan, or at the very least made hard copies of your important data onto separate hard drives/flash drives, CD/DVDs, whatever.

No no, I mean a repair install.

Windows 7 allows you to do a repair install, which reinstalls windows while keeping as much of the current install intact as possible. Given that r2 and 7 are siblings, I thought r2 may have a similar feature.

Anonymous

Windows 7 allows you to do a repair install, which reinstalls windows while keeping as much of the current install intact as possible. Given that r2 and 7 are siblings, I thought r2 may have a similar feature.

@JingoFresh wrote:

That’s just an upgrade then. Well its technically called a repair install but its nothing more but an upgrade to keep files + programs in tact. Yes you can do that with Windows Server but you would have to be logged onto windows in order to do it. You can’t just boot off the DVD and run an upgrade within Windows. Upgrade is disabled. I don’t think you have any other options but to reformat and start new.

Anonymous

@JingoFresh wrote:

That’s just an upgrade then. Well its technically called a repair install but its nothing more but an upgrade to keep files + programs in tact. Yes you can do that with Windows Server but you would have to be logged onto windows in order to do it. You can’t just boot off the DVD and run an upgrade within Windows. Upgrade is disabled. I don’t think you have any other options but to reformat and start new.

Viewing 6 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.