Removed Admin Account from Login Screen–CANT ACCESS NOW!

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Removed Admin Account from Login Screen–CANT ACCESS NOW!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Earlier today I installed Windows Server 2008 on my notebook and set it up as workstation per the instructions.

After setting up everything I created a normal user account and edited gpedit.msc to give myself most permissions. I also went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon and removed the Administrator account from showing up at the login screen (per these instructions: viewtopic.php?p=793#p793). Afterwards I logged into my normal user account and intended to use it happily ever after.

However, I didn’t realize that Server still enabled UAC by default on nonadministrator accounts, so now not only can I not edit the registry back to the way it was but I can no longer log into the administrator account to disable UAC or get myself out of this mess. I need to find a way to access the administrator account without using the login screen, or find a way to edit the registry so that the administrator account will show up at the login screen.

As of now I can get into the registry editor, but I can’t edit the values or delete anything, as I get a message titled “Error Editing Value” saying “Cannot edit [name]: Error writing the value’s new contents.”

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Nevermind!–Figured it out 😀

Went to cmd prompt, and used the runas command to launch regedit in the administrator environment and then deleted the DWORD value from there!

In case anyone else has this problem. Launch command prompt from the start menu. Go to your system32 folder (C:WindowsSystem32) and type “runas env user:administrator ‘regedit.exe'” , that way you have full permissions in the Registry Editor and can do what you need to!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.