Remote control install under Windows 2008 server

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Hardware Compatibility (New) Remote control install under Windows 2008 server

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #43025

      Did someone manage to install a remote control under Windows 2008 server? I have a MCE remote control that works fine in vista put it refuse to install in Windows 2008 server.

      In Device manager it is shown as ehome infrared receiver. Is there any other sollution to get this working?

    • #45885
      Arris
      Moderator

      There are more people that have this issue. You can keep an eye on a topic about this problem at the Microsoft Technet Forums.

    • #45886

      Thanks for reply.. I am watching that post …

    • #45883

      Had the same problem, and after fiddling around with drivers from Vista x32 I finally got it to work. 🙂
      After you’ve made a clean install, a device “eHome Infrared Transceiver” is in the device manager. But what you do is, you install the “eHome Infrared RECEIVER” for that device. After that a new device is detected, which you install the “eHome Infrared Transceiver” for. Then it works.
      If you wan’t I can post the drivers I extraced from a Vista installation a little later.

    • #45884

      Allowing others to download those drivers would be great idea. Also, can you break down the install steps again, in a 1., 2. kind of description.

      Thank you for you input!

    • #45887

      Can someone provide clear steps on how to migrate Vista x32 drivers for a MCE vista remote control to Windows 2008 server x32?

    • #45888

      I have uploaded the drivers here:
      http://rapidshare.com/files/107252925/2008_Server.zip.html
      Steps to take:
      1. Download the drivers, and extract them somewhere …
      2. If not enabled, enable the service “Human Interface Device Access”.
      3. Plugin the IR-receiver.
      4. In the device manager, at device named “eHome Infrared Transceiver” has been discoveret. Install the driver “eHome Infrared RECEIVER” in the file irbus in the archive.
      5. A new unknown device will be detected. Install the driver “Microsoft eHome Infrared TRANSCEIVER” from HIDCLASSCIRCLASSIRDEVICE.
      6. Done.
      The drivers are from Vista x86 Sp1 UK.

    • #45889

      Thank you for instructions. In my case verything went well up to the step no 5. After I install the eHome Infrared receiver it refuse to install the driver from HIDCLASSCIRCLASSIRDEVICE – Did you change anything here in the inf file?

      @Crockie wrote:

      I have uploaded the drivers here:
      http://rapidshare.com/files/107252925/2008_Server.zip.html
      Steps to take:
      1. Download the drivers, and extract them somewhere …
      2. If not enabled, enable the service “Human Interface Device Access”.
      3. Plugin the IR-receiver.
      4. In the device manager, at device named “eHome Infrared Transceiver” has been discoveret. Install the driver “eHome Infrared RECEIVER” in the file irbus in the archive.
      5. A new unknown device will be detected. Install the driver “Microsoft eHome Infrared TRANSCEIVER” from HIDCLASSCIRCLASSIRDEVICE.
      6. Done.
      The drivers are from Vista x86 Sp1 UK.

    • #45890

      No, I haven’t changed anything in the .inf file.
      In step 5.
      After you installed the “eHome Infrared Receiver” did device manager detect an “unknown device”?
      The driver for the “unknown device” is in the rar-file. You have to manually select “I choose a driver location” and point to the extracted folder HIDCLASSCIRCLASSIRDEVICE. A list should appear with the manufacturers and you select “Microsoft” in the left window pane. Then in the right pane you select “eHome Infrared Transceiver”.
      Hope it helps. Please write back with response.

    • #45891

      @Crockie wrote:

      No, I haven’t changed anything in the .inf file.
      In step 5.
      After you installed the “eHome Infrared Receiver” did device manager detect an “unknown device”?
      The driver for the “unknown device” is in the rar-file. You have to manually select “I choose a driver location” and point to the extracted folder HIDCLASSCIRCLASSIRDEVICE. A list should appear with the manufacturers and you select “Microsoft” in the left window pane. Then in the right pane you select “eHome Infrared Transceiver”.
      Hope it helps. Please write back with response.

      Yes, I get the unknown device. the problem is that when I point to that inf file in HIDCLASSCIRCLASSIRDEVICE it show me that The location don’t contain any driver for my remote. I am using a Topseed remote (that is automatically detected and installed in Vista).

    • #45892

      go into control panel and try using add legacy hardware it will show any errors if there are files missing from server 2k8 that are required for your hardware

    • #45893

      @Mauller07 wrote:

      go into control panel and try using add legacy hardware it will show any errors if there are files missing from server 2k8 that are required for your hardware

      Already did this… The message that I get is ” The folder doesn’t contain any driver compatible with your hardware” … I am running out of ideas 🙁

    • #45894

      You’re sure you are forcing it by using “let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”, and then pointing to the folder, and the input.inf file…?

    • #45895

      Hi Guys,

      I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the ehome infrared remote control to work in server 2003 standard. I tried the drivers from Crokie which work until I restart the server and then it knocks out all my Human interface devices.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    • #45896

      @jmitkin wrote:

      Already did this… The message that I get is ” The folder doesn’t contain any driver compatible with your hardware” … I am running out of ideas 🙁

      Hi, try these drivers: http://rapidshare.com/files/130924118/IR08.zip.html

    • #45897

      Hello all, I am new here. I am attempting to get this driver installed as well. I keep getting the message “The folder you specified doesn’t contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems.” Should I be using 2008 x64 to get this device driver installed? If so, no big deal, I can reinstall the OS if needed.
      Steps taken include the using the new hardward wizard to point to both of the drivers downloads (yes I expanded the contents of the zip file) with no luck (no driver found). Then using the control panel, add new hardward, Install hardware that I manually select from a list, Infrared device, no luck.

      OK, I just figured it out… I used the 2nd download (post just above this post), control panel, add new hwdr, install manually, select from list, all devices, point to the input.inf file, it found the IR consumer device. and the MS eHome Transciver was installed. go figure.
      -Eric

    • #45898

      Hi There!

      I’m trying to use the great instructions on this post to get my MCE remote working on Server 2008 R2.

      I follow the instructions down and steps 1-4 work perfectly – but I can’t get step 5 to work.

      I see the new unknown device (under USB controllers) but when I try to update the driver I can’t find the right method.

      If I just point to the folder that I extracted ‘MCE Remote 2008 x64’ to it says “the best driver is already installed” and when I go to have disk I can only find the “ehome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)” driver – I can’t find the transiever driver 🙁

      I’m sure this is something I’m doing because I’m no expert on drivers but it would be awesome if someone could help me out 🙂

      Thanks in advance.

    • #45899

      Hmmm – looking on my Win 7 64-bit box it says that the driver for the Transceiver is “hidir.sys” which is in the driver directory but I can’t figure out how to ‘apply’ it…. any ideas?

      So – my problem is that using the steps outlined in this thread I can add the “Consumer IR Devices” and “ehome infrared receiver (USBCIR)” devices but with these added I can’t blast and I’ve noticed that the device “microsoft ehome infrared transceiver” doesn’t exist in my device manager – so I’m wondering if that’s the problem…

      Thanks in advance…

    • #45900

      OMG works with XP Pro too!!

      THX CROCKIE !!!

    • #45901

      So i’m trying to follow this step:

      4. In the device manager, at device named “eHome Infrared Transceiver” has been discoveret. Install the driver “eHome Infrared RECEIVER” in the file irbus in the archive.

      I see the ‘eHome INfrared Transceiver’ in the device manager having the ! for no driver for it.

      I right click, properties – update driver, navigate to irbus that was in the file …and an error pops up saying “the folder you specified doesn’t contain a compatable software driver for your device etc etc”

      So what am I doing wrong?

      This is with 2008 R2 fyi.

    • #45902

      @moover wrote:

      @jmitkin wrote:

      Already did this… The message that I get is ” The folder doesn’t contain any driver compatible with your hardware” … I am running out of ideas 🙁

      Hi, try these drivers: http://rapidshare.com/files/130924118/IR08.zip.html

      Wow I looked for probably 3-5 hours trying to get my remote to work and now it does. 🙂
      I’m using a custom Windows 7 on this computer which doesn’t include Media Center and is rather bare bones which is why I had the problem in the first place…

      I have a HP remote that came with my HP computer that originally had XP Media Center Edition on it…

      Download the drivers from moover and you should be good to go…

      What I did… Instructions:
      1. Click Start, Right click Computer and click manage, on the left click Device Manager (or get to the Device Manager your own way)
      2. My remote showed up as installed but not working, perhaps yours shows up as unknown device, it makes no difference…Right click what your remote shows up as and click Update Driver Software
      3. Click Browse my computer
      4. Next to where it says Search for driver software in this location click Browse
      5. Select the IR08 folder that you should have downloaded and extracted
      6. Click Next and if any security warnings pop up choose to install the driver anyways

      That is what worked for me running Windows 7 32bit with an HP remote.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.