[Registry Tweak] How to optimize CPU scheduling

Forums General Feedback [Registry Tweak] How to optimize CPU scheduling

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hey guys!

I recently installed server08 on my computer and it was somehow slow, the mouse cursor didn’t move smoothly and switching between windows was not fast either. Then I found out that it’s possible to tweak the scheduler and get a bit more performance:
      In HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPriorityControl you can optimize the scheduler. I used the following TechNet article to set it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/29623.mspx?mfr=true

Actually it applies to Win2k but on my 2k8 server it works as well!
      I set my key to 2 dec/hex, doesn’t matter (it’s default for Win2k Prof). You could also experiment with other values as described in the article. I’d be glad to hear some review of you….

allema

@allema wrote:

Hey guys!

I recently installed server08 on my computer and it was somehow slow, the mouse cursor didn’t move smoothly and switching between windows was not fast either. Then I found out that it’s possible to tweak the scheduler and get a bit more performance:
      In HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPriorityControl you can optimize the scheduler. I used the following TechNet article to set it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/29623.mspx?mfr=true

Actually it applies to Win2k but on my 2k8 server it works as well!
      I set my key to 2 dec/hex, doesn’t matter (it’s default for Win2k Prof). You could also experiment with other values as described in the article. I’d be glad to hear some review of you….

allema

This is an extremely advanced tweak that is highly not recommended and rarely provides any performance boost without reducing system stability.

I spent days research on this, and found that it’s kind of pointless overkill unless you have a very slow system with 1GB of RAM. But if you could be bothered, it’s not too bad. This registry key is directly related to a very familiar screen:

“Programs” will set the key to “Win32PrioritySeparation”=dword:00000026
      “Background Services” will set the key to “Win32PrioritySeparation”=dword:00000018

NEVER SET THIS KEY TO ANYTHING APART FROM THESE VALID OPTIONS:

2A Hex = Short, Fixed , High foreground boost.
      29 Hex = Short, Fixed , Medium foreground boost.
      28 Hex = Short, Fixed , No foreground boost.

26 Hex = Short, Variable , High foreground boost.
      25 Hex = Short, Variable , Medium foreground boost.
      24 Hex = Short, Variable , No foreground boost.

1A Hex = Long, Fixed, High foreground boost.
      19 Hex = Long, Fixed, Medium foreground boost.
      18 Hex = Long, Fixed, No foreground boost.

16 Hex = Long, Variable, High foreground boost.
      15 Hex = Long, Variable, Medium foreground boost.
      14 Hex = Long, Variable, No foreground boost.

IF YOU USE ANOTHER KEY YOUR PC MAY CRASH.

I have written a detailed article on this key also, for those who are interested, it’s [s:kqq9xvfl]on my Facebook Notes[/s:kqq9xvfl] on my PC somewhere, and somwhere else on the web. But only interesting to engineers and :ugeek: haha. Peace.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.