NTFS Permissions

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 R2 Miscellaneous NTFS Permissions

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

OK, I have a problem.
      I did a couple clean installations (not upgrades) of Server 2012 R2
      on my laptop that previously had Server 2012 on it,
      and everytime I have encountered the same issue with NTFS Permissions.

There are 2 HDDs in my laptop, the first has C: (server installation) and D: partitions
      and the second HDD is a single E: partition.
      I have created a single user “admin” member of Administrators only,
      but either with the admin user or the built-in administrator I’m unable to modify existing files/folders
      in any folder in any partition C:, D: nor E:, i.e. I don’t have modify writes on the files/folders.

I have changed the owner of the root folders (D:, E:) to Administrators,
      I have checked the effective access of both admin and Administrators and they’re OK (full control),
      but the effective access of Creator Owner does not grant full control,
      and I’m unable to change that whatsoever (I enable full control and OK/apply, but nothing changes).

I guess I could assign as owner of the root drives the admin user,
      but I think that change is not persistent across reinstallations or shares to other systems.

BTW, I have changed in GP, per your suggestions, the UAC related settings:
      User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account: Enabled
      User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode: Elevate Without Prompting
      User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode: Enabled

In other words, it’s driving me nuts. Any advice?
      Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

To be more clear, the inability to modify existing files/folders (modify rights) on other (non system) drives
        is remedied if I change the permissions of the root folder of the “admin” user to full control
        but then after a reinstallation the permissions are revoked
        and the security permissions windows displays an unknown account
        with the UID of the former “admin” user (as it should obviously)

the same happens with share folders over the network, unknown account etc.

what is the proper configuration in order to grant full control to administrators group
        without adding every user of that group and assigning permissions to each of them?

what am i doing wrong here?

Anonymous

To be more clear, the inability to modify existing files/folders (modify rights) on other (non system) drives
          is remedied if I change the permissions of the root folder of the “admin” user to full control
          but then after a reinstallation the permissions are revoked
          and the security permissions windows displays an unknown account
          with the UID of the former “admin” user (as it should obviously)

Yes, that’s normal and as you said, as soon as you change the permissions (of the new admin account) to full control, you should be able to modify permissions again.
          You only have to do that once.
          But of course, as soon as you reinstall Windows (clean install) you’re no longer (the same) administrator so you lose these permissions again (but why do you keep reinstalling Windows in the first place??).

I haven’t tried this but you could change the permissions to “Everyone” (full control).
          One should think that everyone is always everyone 😀 and therefore there should be no restrictions (I guess…) no matter how many times you reinstall Windows…

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.