McFlyMethod

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hope I am not going to be out of Rules for asking about this method:

Could I apply it to: Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation English ?

Will I lose to opportunity to apply patches to the OS ?

Has anyone tried ? Does it work ?

Hecatombles

@Hecatombles wrote:

It’s nice to see that you are cautious about following the rules, that’s great! I see no harm in asking whether this method works as long as you are not discussing it or advertising it. As it says on the McFly Method website, it says that it is for Study (Educational) Purposes only, but I’m not sure if Arris classifies this as piracy or not. As Arris seems quite busy, we may not be able to confirm that this would be classified as piracy or not (as per Arris) for several days.

I will look through my initial Moderators PM for what Arris previously told me (very brief guidelines) and I will take a look at the Staff Forum/around the forum and see if this would be classified as piracy. At this moment, the best advice I can give is to wait for Arris and do not discuss this method in case it is classified as piracy – better safe than sorry! If you want, I can lock this topic until Arris gets a chance to look at it so no one else discusses this method, should it be considered priacy.

Anonymous

@Hecatombles wrote:

It’s nice to see that you are cautious about following the rules, that’s great! I see no harm in asking whether this method works as long as you are not discussing it or advertising it. As it says on the McFly Method website, it says that it is for Study (Educational) Purposes only, but I’m not sure if Arris classifies this as piracy or not. As Arris seems quite busy, we may not be able to confirm that this would be classified as piracy or not (as per Arris) for several days.

I will look through my initial Moderators PM for what Arris previously told me (very brief guidelines) and I will take a look at the Staff Forum/around the forum and see if this would be classified as piracy. At this moment, the best advice I can give is to wait for Arris and do not discuss this method in case it is classified as piracy – better safe than sorry! If you want, I can lock this topic until Arris gets a chance to look at it so no one else discusses this method, should it be considered priacy.

Ok I’ll wait before continuing.
        My new (old) machine is quite ready (a dual opteron 285 with 8GB RAM) and whish to try this OS.

Hecatombles

Anonymous

Ok I’ll wait before continuing.
          My new (old) machine is quite ready (a dual opteron 285 with 8GB RAM) and whish to try this OS.

Hecatombles

Even if you use the Evaluation ISO, you can get a total of 240 days trial in which you can use Windows Server 2008 R2 for free if you use the method described on this page.

I re-read my Moderators PM and the guidelines that Arris told me were:

@Arris wrote:

I don’t really have guidelines; just make sure everyone at the forum stays positive, constructive and happy and stop the discussions about illegal stuff like activation cracks etc. at this forum.

So I am not sure if this method falls into the piracy category, it seems to be, but I’m not 100% sure. We will just have to wait and see. If you read the comments on the page I mentioned above, people have asked whether this method works/etc, but I’m not sure if Arris has read those comments and approved of them, so I’m not sure if it’s considered piracy and if updates/etc still work. You could use the Evaluation ISO for now if you wanted to, you will just have to re-install Windows once your activation/re-arms have run out and Windows goes into the “Non-genuine/Reduced Functionality” mode which still allows you to access your files and use the OS, just with reduced functionality. I have a Windows Web Server 2008 R2 in a VM that has run out of its initial 10-day trial and has entered reduced functionality mode and it seems that it is still usable as an OS – I’m just not sure what it affects.

Details of Vista’s reduced functionality mode can be found here, I would assume it’s similar:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925582

Update I got from Arris: As this is one of those “border-line” topics that may lead to discussion of activators/cracks, Arris suggested that I close this topic.

Anonymous

Even if you use the Evaluation ISO, you can get a total of 240 days trial in which you can use Windows Server 2008 R2 for free if you use the method described on this page.

I re-read my Moderators PM and the guidelines that Arris told me were:

@Arris wrote:

I don’t really have guidelines; just make sure everyone at the forum stays positive, constructive and happy and stop the discussions about illegal stuff like activation cracks etc. at this forum.

So I am not sure if this method falls into the piracy category, it seems to be, but I’m not 100% sure. We will just have to wait and see. If you read the comments on the page I mentioned above, people have asked whether this method works/etc, but I’m not sure if Arris has read those comments and approved of them, so I’m not sure if it’s considered piracy and if updates/etc still work. You could use the Evaluation ISO for now if you wanted to, you will just have to re-install Windows once your activation/re-arms have run out and Windows goes into the “Non-genuine/Reduced Functionality” mode which still allows you to access your files and use the OS, just with reduced functionality. I have a Windows Web Server 2008 R2 in a VM that has run out of its initial 10-day trial and has entered reduced functionality mode and it seems that it is still usable as an OS – I’m just not sure what it affects.

Details of Vista’s reduced functionality mode can be found here, I would assume it’s similar:
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925582

Update I got from Arris: As this is one of those “border-line” topics that may lead to discussion of activators/cracks, Arris suggested that I close this topic.

Viewing 6 reply threads
        • The topic ‘McFlyMethod’ is closed to new replies.