Is it still worth while to install Windows Server 2008 R2?

Forums Operating Systems Other Windows Operating Systems Miscellaneous Is it still worth while to install Windows Server 2008 R2?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I’ll start off by saying that Win2008Workstation was the best move I ever made away from Vista. During the Vista days, I was really stuck between a rock and a hard place, because my laptop didn’t have any XP Drivers (so I couldn’t just roll back). Thankfully I found Win2008Workstation which pretty much saved my computing experience.

Now I see Windows 7 is finally here – RTM (not a RC or Beta). I am thinking, do I really need to continue using a Server OS for desktop, or does Windows 7 finally bridge the gap.

We all hated the performance issues we had with Vista, and there have been performance benchmarks to prove Win2008Workstation is quicker (10% or so) over Vista.

I’ve crawled the web, and can’t find anything really concrete that says Performance is better in Windows 7 server OS over the desktop Edition.

As for the bloat argument, from what I understand MS have removed all the bloat from 7, and because so much rests on the success of 7, surely they would have done their best to optimize it for performance?

Besides the benefits of using a server OS for stuff like IIS, MOSS, etc, and just a good testing playground for server apps (Yup I’m a developer), do you think perhaps that its time to start trusting and using desktop apps again?

What do you think, thanks Michael….

stay with server…. theres some features of desktop oses I cannot disclose here that keep me on nothing but server oses.

also security is way better.

Anonymous

stay with server…. theres some features of desktop oses I cannot disclose here that keep me on nothing but server oses.

also security is way better.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.