How to import OneNote notebooks

Forums General Guides How to import OneNote notebooks

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      hackerman1

Athough not related to Windows Server, you might find this program useful….

I am using a “Linuxstyle-setup”,
        with separate partitions for System (O/S), Programs and Media (audio, video, documents & filearchive).
        So i have all Onenote-notebooks on my docs-partition which is labeled U:

And Microsoft obviously does not understand that people might be using a nonstandard setup with multiple partitions.,
        they always assume everything is on C: ….
        So notebooks that are not in the default location on “C:userXXX….” will not be opened automatically in Onenote.
        And they will not be opened the second time you start Onenote after a fresh install,
        not even if you move them to the default location.
        Which means that if you forget to move them before you start Onenote….
        Of course you could move all notebooks to the default location before you start Onenote for the first time,
        but then you will have to move them back to your “own” folder afterwards…

I wrote a program (a batch-file) that fixed it.

How to import OneNote notebooks

@ECHO OFF
        START "" "E:PROGRAM FILESOffice 2010Office14ONENOTE.EXE"
        PAUSE
        U:DOCSOneNote Notebooks
        FOR/D/R %X IN (*.*) ("E:PROGRAM FILESOffice 2010Office14ONENOTE" /FILENAME "%X" )
        EXIT

It is very simple:
        First i start Onenote, in a new command-window since i run the program from a filemanager, (Total Commander),
        and want a new process running in the background)
        followed by a pause so Onenote has time to start before the import starts,
        when Onenote has started i just press any key to let the program continue,
        followed by a simple FOR-loop that opens 1 (ONE) notebook in each folder,
        there is no need to open all of them since the rest will be opened automatically
        and then exiting the program so the window closes

So if you want to use this program, add the correct path to your:
        Office-folder in line 2 and 5
        Notebook-folder in line 4

Of course you can add a custom delay instead of having the program pausing, waiting for Onenote to start,
        but i prefer to doublecheck “manually” before the program continues,
        because if Onenote has not started properly when it continues, then you will see some “unwanted” behaviour, forcing you to manually delete notebooks opened in the wrong place etc…..

And, since this is a BTM-file and not a BAT-file, you will need TCC/LE, the free version of Take Command, available here:
        http://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html

Personally i prefer TCC over CMD since it has more commands, is more user-friendly and lets you do more advanced programming.
        Do not ask me how to do this in CMD…

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.