Hibernation, RDP Aero, DVD decoder, CTRL-ALT-DEL signon

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Hibernation, RDP Aero, DVD decoder, CTRL-ALT-DEL signon

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hibernation
      I have enabled hibernation and it works if I do “shutdown.exe /h”. However, I would like it to be an option in the Start Menu shutdown options. Is this possible?

Microsoft DVD Decoder
      I couldn’t find any instructions on how to get the Microsoft DVD Decoder installed. I suppose I could use ffdshow, but I’d like to use the Microsoft decoder if it’s in any way possible. I found someone’s instructions for Windows Server 2008 (not R2):

install MPEG2(dvd) decoder.
      but not included AC3 sound filter…

copy this from vista…

regsvr32 /s Mpeg2Data.ax
      regsvr32 /s mpg2splt.ax
      regsvr32 /s kstvtune.ax
      regsvr32 /s MSDvbNP.ax
      regsvr32 /s MSNP.ax
      regsvr32 /s VBICodec.ax
      regsvr32 /s vbisurf.ax

Well, I tried the same thing with R2, but instead I got those files from Windows 7 x64. Unfortunately, it didn’t work, I still can’t play DVDs. What am I missing?

Remote Desktop Aero
      I have Aero and Windows 7 theme fully installed, but when I Remote Desktop into a Vista VM, I don’t see it in aero and see no way to. Is hit possible to see Aero on a Vista machine? If so, what’s the trick to enabling it?

CTRL-ALT-DEL signon
      I tried to follow the instructions here:
      http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/disable-ctrlaltdel-prompt
      However, my Enabled/Disabled options are grayed out. I also tried going to Run… and entering “control userpasswords2”, and under Advanced tab there’s “Require users to press CTRL-ALT-DEL” which is checked, but also grayed out so that I can’t change it. Why is this? Is it because I’m logged into a domain and that’s a domain rule that overrides any local rules?

Thanks for any help, I’ve got 2008 R2 pretty much where I want it thanks to this site. It’ll be perfect if I can address these few little things.

about the Hibernation

i use the power button via power manager

Anonymous

about the Hibernation

i use the power button via power manager

Thanks, I did see that option in the Power Options control panel, but my PC is kind of a reach and I’m lazy. 😆 I made a shortcut icon on my desktop that launches “shutdown.exe /h”, but I’d still prefer Hibernate in its proper spot in the Start Menu along with the other shutdown/sleep options if possible.

I ended up going with K-Lite CODEC pack to make DVD playback work. It only works with 32-bit Media Player… the K-Lite CODEC Pack x64 didn’t work with 64-bit Media Player for some reason. I guess it’s okay, my media buttons default to 32-bit Media Player anyway and I don’t know how to change that.

Anonymous

Thanks, I did see that option in the Power Options control panel, but my PC is kind of a reach and I’m lazy. 😆 I made a shortcut icon on my desktop that launches “shutdown.exe /h”, but I’d still prefer Hibernate in its proper spot in the Start Menu along with the other shutdown/sleep options if possible.

I ended up going with K-Lite CODEC pack to make DVD playback work. It only works with 32-bit Media Player… the K-Lite CODEC Pack x64 didn’t work with 64-bit Media Player for some reason. I guess it’s okay, my media buttons default to 32-bit Media Player anyway and I don’t know how to change that.

Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.