Help needed BSoD when installing Hyper-V / ATI HD4670

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware Compatibility Help needed BSoD when installing Hyper-V / ATI HD4670

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

i disovered a problem with hyper-v and my gfx ati4670.

Following scenario:
      1. Server 2008r2 installed
      2. ATI Driver (Win7 x64 Version 9.9) installed
      3. Hyper-V Roles installed
      4. Reboot
      5. BSoD with Stop Error for atimdag.sys

Need help.

Its a problem with your particular driver version.

Try using an earlier or later version.

Anonymous

Its a problem with your particular driver version.

Try using an earlier or later version.

Thx for the quick response.

I’ve tried drivers from 9.9 down to 9.5 and installed the modded 9.11 for desktop gfx.

All the same problem.

Normaly i don’t need the ATI driver. I just want the high res. of 1920×1080. But with the standard-vga-driver max. res. is 1400×1050.

Did anybody know how to get the widescreen resolutions with standard vga dirver?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Thx for the quick response.

I’ve tried drivers from 9.9 down to 9.5 and installed the modded 9.11 for desktop gfx.

All the same problem.

Normaly i don’t need the ATI driver. I just want the high res. of 1920×1080. But with the standard-vga-driver max. res. is 1400×1050.

Did anybody know how to get the widescreen resolutions with standard vga dirver?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm

I have a 3650 IIRC, and run at 1680×1050 without a problem.

Are you on a laptop or a desktop?

Anonymous

Hmmm

I have a 3650 IIRC, and run at 1680×1050 without a problem.

Are you on a laptop or a desktop?

Thx for your response.

I’am on a laptop (Dell XPS16).

Last thing i’ve tried was

1. Starting hyper-v on demand (sc config hvboot start= demand)
            2. Reboot
            3. Install ATI driver
            4. Reboot (Gfx fine)
            5. Starting Hyper-V (net start hvboot)
            6. BSoD 🙁

Also i tried to force resolution by registry (Default.XResolution / YResolution) -> Take no affect.

Sorry what’s “IIRC”?

Anonymous

Thx for your response.

I’am on a laptop (Dell XPS16).

Last thing i’ve tried was

1. Starting hyper-v on demand (sc config hvboot start= demand)
              2. Reboot
              3. Install ATI driver
              4. Reboot (Gfx fine)
              5. Starting Hyper-V (net start hvboot)
              6. BSoD 🙁

Also i tried to force resolution by registry (Default.XResolution / YResolution) -> Take no affect.

Sorry what’s “IIRC”?

OK, Are you using the mobility modder driver, or do you not need it?

Anonymous

OK, Are you using the mobility modder driver, or do you not need it?

@resil wrote:

Sorry what’s “IIRC”?

It’s short for “if I recall/remember correctly”.

Anonymous

@resil wrote:

Sorry what’s “IIRC”?

It’s short for “if I recall/remember correctly”.

@Indrek:
                  Thx

@JingoFresh
                  :
                  I’ve modded the ATI 9.11 driver version with the mobility modder and get the same result (Hyper-V + ATI Driver = BSoD)
                  Which driver do you use?

Btw.
                  Did anybody know if there is an “modded” standard-vga-driver to support 1920×1080 on Server 2008R2?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

@Indrek:
                    Thx

@JingoFresh
                    :
                    I’ve modded the ATI 9.11 driver version with the mobility modder and get the same result (Hyper-V + ATI Driver = BSoD)
                    Which driver do you use?

Btw.
                    Did anybody know if there is an “modded” standard-vga-driver to support 1920×1080 on Server 2008R2?

Thanks in advance

Hmm

I’m using driver 8.650.0.0, and Hyper V and games work fine.

I would suggest trying this driver?

Anonymous

Hmm

I’m using driver 8.650.0.0, and Hyper V and games work fine.

I would suggest trying this driver?

Hi,

i’ve tried your driver version. No affect.

Looks like i have to use the uncomfortable resolution 🙁

Anonymous

Hi,

i’ve tried your driver version. No affect.

Looks like i have to use the uncomfortable resolution 🙁

My theory is that the old driver is still on there somehow.

Make sure you remove it completely from device manager, and selecting to delete driver files.

Anonymous

My theory is that the old driver is still on there somehow.

Make sure you remove it completely from device manager, and selecting to delete driver files.

Th edriver could not be there. I’ve installed the W2K8R2 into an VHD and made a backup after clean install. All tests are made on the clean install.

Regards,
                          Sascha

Anonymous

Th edriver could not be there. I’ve installed the W2K8R2 into an VHD and made a backup after clean install. All tests are made on the clean install.

Regards,
                            Sascha

So you have a low resolution by default? It seems odd that it is always the same file.

What triggers the crash exactly? Is it reproducible?

What is the name of the exception you get when it bluescreens?

Anonymous

So you have a low resolution by default? It seems odd that it is always the same file.

What triggers the crash exactly? Is it reproducible?

What is the name of the exception you get when it bluescreens?

timofcourse
                              Participant

I can confirm that this an issue here as well.

I have the same scenario w/ two different core i7 laptops.. one ATI the other Nvidia graphics. Whenver hyper-v role is enabled w/ graphics driver installed; blue screen.

Upon further research I found this post over at Virtual PC Guy’s blog… and it doesnt look good for those of us with newer laptops with Core i7: http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/11/16/understanding-high-end-video-performance-issues-with-hyper-v.aspx

If anyone has any suggestions to workarounds for this, it’d be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

I can confirm that this an issue here as well.

I have the same scenario w/ two different core i7 laptops.. one ATI the other Nvidia graphics. Whenver hyper-v role is enabled w/ graphics driver installed; blue screen.

Upon further research I found this post over at Virtual PC Guy’s blog… and it doesnt look good for those of us with newer laptops with Core i7: http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/11/16/understanding-high-end-video-performance-issues-with-hyper-v.aspx

If anyone has any suggestions to workarounds for this, it’d be greatly appreciated!

I’m using 1680×1050 using the latest Catalyst drivers, and haven’t run into any problems, although performance does seem worse than it did on 7.

Anonymous

I’m using 1680×1050 using the latest Catalyst drivers, and haven’t run into any problems, although performance does seem worse than it did on 7.

timofcourse
                                    Participant

@rickd wrote:

Are you running Core i5 or i7 and have Hyper-V enabled?

Anonymous

@rickd wrote:

@timofcourse wrote:

@rickd wrote:

i7 with an HD 5870. Hyper-V is not currently enabled, although, when it was enabled, it worked fine (hyper-v kind of hosed my networking, for reasons I haven’t yet determined).

Anonymous

@timofcourse wrote:

@rickd wrote:

i7 with an HD 5870. Hyper-V is not currently enabled, although, when it was enabled, it worked fine (hyper-v kind of hosed my networking, for reasons I haven’t yet determined).

timofcourse
                                          Participant

@rickd wrote:

@timofcourse wrote:

@rickd wrote:

Ah… so youre running on a desktop. These issues are supposedly primarily related to the mobile i5 and i7 CPU’s.

Anonymous

@rickd wrote:

@timofcourse wrote:

@rickd wrote:

Ah… so youre running on a desktop. These issues are supposedly primarily related to the mobile i5 and i7 CPU’s.

Viewing 34 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.