First impressions on WS 2019

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2019 Miscellaneous First impressions on WS 2019

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lotusisrael

I have adopted WS 2019 as my Windows os on my machine since first build and skipped only one build. The buggiest WS beta program since 2009, so far. There are not too many differences from WS 2016, Flash is enabled by default and some more lines need to be added to PowerShell to get Superfetch to work properly. Several functions need to be enabled even on Desktop Experience, like Fax Server, to get scanning and fax functions, Work Folders, .Net Framework 3.5 and DirectPlay (DirectX) to get lagacy APIs for older software to work and ensure crashes of apps are rare. Using IE for now, maybe Firefox later, Chrome no way. Visualisations on iTunes work slow.
        Lines to be pasted into PowerShell to get Superfetch (one at a time, not all at once, of course)
        Enable-MMAgent -MemoryCompression
        Enable-MMAgent -PageCombining
        Enable-MMAgent -ApplicationLaunchPrefetching
        Enable-MMAgent -OperationAPI

Note from hackerman1 (ADMIN): I edited the second sentence a litte bit because the first word (B-u-g-g-i-e-s-t) were
        for some very odd reason caught by the spam-filter when it was posted without – between the letters ???
        Although It looks like one of those word censorings that i have created, there is no censoring for that particular word ???
        I just double-checked… 😕

[b]Note 2 from hackerman1 (ADMIN): After investigating further I have now found the problem,
        it was the censor-filter that caused this, something i missed when i checked the first time…
        So i have now restored the post above.

hoak
        Participant

Thanks for the update Lotusisrael — I’ve been wondering if 2019 is any good as a Workstation. I’d really like to get around to benchmarking all the Servers that are still updated for some of the stuff I do; 3D render, audio production, and just compare general performance — I remember as far back as Windows Server 2003 even with same kernel version numbers there were some surprising measurable performance differences between Windows Server and the consumer desktop OS. Unfortunately Microsoft’s desktop OS has become such an onerous mess of telemetry, spyware, disparate interfaces — and is as much or more work to setup than a Server OS conversion that I really don’t see a future for it. Also glad to see the forums are back, it looked like they were down for a while!

Lotusisrael

WS 2019 seems less bloated and less stuffed with spyware then W10 RS 5, as WS 2016 was less bloated and less stuffed with spyware then W10 RS1. Desktop Experience, although enabled by default on Server a GUI, has some components moved out into other places. The requirement of enabling Fax Server to get printing to work properly (this was the case in WS 2016 as well) and not including this into Desktop Experience causes some issues.
              What audio editing software do you use? Pro Tools? Fruity Loops?

hoak
            Participant

Lotusisrael wrote:
              WS 2019 seems less bloated and less stuffed with spyware then W10 RS 5, as WS 2016 was less bloated and less stuffed with spyware then W10 RS1.

But is it less bloated and stuffed then Sever 2016? 😕

Lotusisrael wrote:
              Desktop Experience, although enabled by default on Server a GUI, has some components moved out into other places. The requirement of enabling Fax Server to get printing to work properly (this was the case in WS 2016 as well) and not including this into Desktop Experience causes some issues.

Yeah they’ve been moving stuff around and shuffling stuff to the Metro Modern UI since WS 2016, I don’t think it’s a problem, in fact setting up Sever 2016 as a Workstation, even doing every step manually to get it to feature parity with Windows 8.1 or 10 was less work them managing all the bloat and spy-ware on the desktop version of the OS and setting those up not to be such a pain and so awkward to use…

Lotusisrael wrote:
              What audio editing software do you use? Pro Tools? Fruity Loops?

Literally everything, it just depends on the project I’m working on and who I’m working with — I do mostly post-processing and editing so it’s more to tools like SoundForge, and WaveLab — but has included everything from Nuendo, and propritary mixing console software, game engines, and and all the DX and VST plug-in applications these can use.

I also use some architectural CAD software (mostly for learning) and game so it’s nice to have 3D render performance that’s at close to parity with the consumer OS, to be able to do more things on one system — curranty I multi-boot several OS’s (Windows 8.1, 10 & Sever 15, and BSD UNIX) across several machines to get things done, and it’s tiresome…

Lotusisrael

Language features fail to install. File associations can not be made manualy, only via Settings (Immersive Control Panel). Settings itself crashes. I can not say for sure that WS 2019 is less bloated then WS 2016. It seems, very much, an updated WS 2016. Like W10 RS5 is an update to W10 RS1.

hoak
                Participant

I’d bet file associations can be fixed to register manually again; apparently a lot of stuff can be done via PowerShell from what I’m reading…

Some of the things I wonder include (in rough order of importance):

· does audio work?
                  · will it properly identify and install Intel network adapters?
                  · does DirectX install and work?
                  · can you install WSL like you can on WS 2016 now with PowerShell?
                  · Edge Browser?

In general is it as solid as other WS builds, editions and kernel versions, or is the new junk they’ve been adding like the ‘Immersive Control Panel’ making things flaky and sluggish like it does on the consumer/desktop version of the OS?

I also wonder with Microsoft’s aggressive ‘feature’ additions of telemetry, even to WS 2016, if they’ve added still more of this type of thing to WS 2019… Soon or later, I’ll have to have a look for myself — and while I’m sure feature wise it’s a very modern and capable OS, in general I’m liking the direction Microsoft is going less and less…

Lotusisrael

Audio works on the latest builds. Audio services needs to be re-enabled if upgrade from one build to another, not clean install. A certain build had an issue with audio service, but it was fixed.
                    I have found a way to force file associations. I use MuPDF for pdf, that needs manual file association. I have chosen „Open with”, then browsed to the MuPDF exe and selected „always open with”.
                    Regarding Edge; I do not know. I do not plan to get Edge or Windows Store.
                    I have an Atheros network adapter, works fine. Broadcom Wifi as well.
                    DirectX can be partially enabled via enabling DirectPlay. Probably the rest of legacy DirectX can be installed via DirectX WebInstaller, after enabling DirectPlay (not the offline installer, that shall overwrite newer DirectX). Important note about DirectX 12 in any type of Windows 10, including WS 2016 and WS 2019: Installing the graphics and/or audio drivers can lead to disabling DirextX 12 and being replaced with an older DirectX. This can cause issues with new software.
                    WSL is instalable, I have not tested it yet.
                    It is, for now, less stable then previous betas of Windows Server. We shall see the RTM, I hope it would be more stable and less buggy.

hoak
                      Participant

Thank you for keeping us updated, and all you do to keep the forum current! While there’s a lot to like in Microsoft’s new operating systems, there’s just as much if not more I don’t like making the future of which Microsoft OS sill satisfy me more of a quandary then ever before…

Lotusisrael

The primary OS I use for several years on my desktop it is not a Windows one. Windows Server is installed on a laptop, that is my secondary machine. WS 2019 it is still worth it, W 10 October 2018 update (Redstone 5) does not. I use W 10 Redstone 4 at work, Firefox and Edge. I do not like this combination. I prefer WS in general because it resembles the old Windows, from before Windows 8, that I was used to and had for years. In this way, I keep the progress on Windows, but staying in the good old days. LTSC editions of Windows 10 and especially Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019 are keeping alive, more or less, thoose good old days. For me, only Windows Server for personal use, as long as I shall still keep Windows, standard Windows is dumped for good for some time. I would like to be like it almost did not exist anymore.

Regarding DirectX, something I need to mention. Deactivation of DirectX 12 when installing video and/or audio drivers happens only older machines, thoose that are one year old, or two, probably it will not happen. It is not a bug, it is a feature from Microsoft, they consider older machines not being able to handle efficiently DirectX software. So, consumers/users have a choice, either to have a better performance, giving up the newer software written in DirectX 12 by installing the drivers, or they can have less performance, but remain capable of running the latest software. Indeed, if a hardware manufacturer releases updated drivers for W10 RS5, deactivation of DirectX 12 might be avoided, but I have not got the chance to test this. If someone has a machine that it is not very new, but that has W 10 recent drivers, he or she can give it a try. Just type dxdiag into Run or into Command Prompt and check the DirextX status.
                        Anyway, I suggest enabling all APIs available, even the lagacy ones, all the lagacy .Net Framework, not just the lagacy DirectX (via DirectPlay role). Some software may not work. Even Windows Identity Foundation and all ASP and ASP Net features. As I said, it is vital to enable them via Server Manager, before any attempt to get the rest of DirectX. Otherwise, issues may appear, software may not work, crash, and even Windows Update can, in some extreme cases, make the OS unbootable. Older DirectX installers, either official from Microsoft or not, they do not „know” out Windows 10 exists and its differences from the Windows versions they know and that is the source for the potential issues.
                        Oh, another issue. Media Foundation, part of Desktop Experience in previous builds, it is a separate role and it is not enabled by default. In order to get multimedia (music and video) to work properly, you need to enable it.
                        WSL (Windows Subsystems for Linux) is available as a role in Server Manager. As I said, I have not tested it yet. Documentation from Microsoft seems scarce for now on it.

hoak
                        Participant

Glad to see the forums back up! Have been running Server 2009 for a over a month now (forum dates are wrong from refresh), and really like it! Seems slightly more responsive then Server 2016, slightly less latency in running audio post processing applications, and every bit as well behaved.

Haven’t done any benchmarks, but probably will at some point to see if there’s any performance difference between it and W10, and Server 2016. One thing that also interests (and concerns) me is the amount of telemetry Sever 2019 transmits, so will at some point run Wire Shark and have a look, and see if Blackbird works on 2019 as well…

Viewing 7 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.