DVD Burner Problem [SOLVED]

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Hardware Compatibility (New) DVD Burner Problem [SOLVED]

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Ok here is my problem, I have a NEC 3550a DVD Burner IDE and in Ultra DMA Mode 2 it will burn Single Layer, Read Single Layer, and Burn Dual Layer just fine, but recently, I can’t get my Dual Layer Disks to be read in Ultra DMA Mode 2 and the Drive will disappear from My Computer and Device Manager because it can’t read it. However if I switch DVD Burner IDE controller to PIO Mode 4 then the dual layer DVD’s can be read successfully but PIO Mode is so much slower than DMA Mode. This is a very wierd issue….

This problem starting happening after I switched from Windows XP Pro to Windows Server 2008, so what in Server 2008 is causing this? It’s a OS problem I know its not my hardware.

The Drive is not Bad, and I know the Dual Layer DVD’s I burned aren’t bad because I tried them in a seperate computer that has Windows XP and they work in DMA.

if I can’t fix this problem I might have to buy a SATA DVD Burner and hope to have better luck with it in Server 2008

DVD drives are extremely touchy with power supplies. Your PSU might be struggling to provide clean power.

Not sure if you know much about this stuff, but i recommend trying to put your DVD on it’s own power rail. Or even try rigging up a temporary second ATX PSU if you can’t do that, just with the soft-on pin shorted so it’s always on and have all ur gear spewed out on the workbench 😛 Or… get a new PSU, one that’s a reputable brand such as Antec 😉

i say this because I encountered extremely similar issues with my Pioneer DVD burner and found out that my PSU was the culprit [after months of dealing with the annoyance]. Hope that helps – let me know.

P.S. Don’t be so quick to dismiss hardware susceptibility just because one OS does it but another doesn’t – Windows XP is very VERY different to Windows Vista/2008 at the kernel level [example – the Hardware Abstraction Layer was completely overhauled for the better, despite initial driver incompatibilites] and it’s more than natural for newer, more modern OS’s to present higher and/or more “streamlined” load on components – simply because it’s newer technology and naturally more efficient on a per-cycle level :geek:

@JonusC wrote:

DVD drives are extremely touchy with power supplies. Your PSU might be struggling to provide clean power.

Not sure if you know much about this stuff, but i recommend trying to put your DVD on it’s own power rail. Or even try rigging up a temporary second ATX PSU if you can’t do that, just with the soft-on pin shorted so it’s always on and have all ur gear spewed out on the workbench 😛 Or… get a new PSU, one that’s a reputable brand such as Antec 😉

i say this because I encountered extremely similar issues with my Pioneer DVD burner and found out that my PSU was the culprit [after months of dealing with the annoyance]. Hope that helps – let me know.

P.S. Don’t be so quick to dismiss hardware susceptibility just because one OS does it but another doesn’t – Windows XP is very VERY different to Windows Vista/2008 at the kernel level [example – the Hardware Abstraction Layer was completely overhauled for the better, despite initial driver incompatibilites] and it’s more than natural for newer, more modern OS’s to present higher and/or more “streamlined” load on components – simply because it’s newer technology and naturally more efficient on a per-cycle level :geek:

I think its just a compatibility problem with IDE DVD Burners is all since its a Newer OS, I plan to get a SATA DVD burner soon so I think that will solve the issue. they are mega cheap anyway. I know its not my PSU 😛 it wouldn’t make sense because everything works on it except for reading dual layer DVD’s 😛

Thanks for the help anyway 😉

Ah all good, yeah well mine was actually burning DVD’s that was the problem – single layer could only do 8x, dual layer would only do 4x – even though its a true 16x it would spit errors lol – upgraded from a CoolerMaster to an Antec PSU and its a beaut =)

Still that’s not the first time i’ve heard about IDE incompatibilties – I seriously can’t believe that SATA is actually nearly more compatible now! Crazy… ah well no worries, have a good one =)

well success, I finally got a SATA DVD Burner, my problem with reading dual layer disks has been solved, Server 2008 just didn’t like my old 16X NEC IDE DVD Burner, I bought a 22X Sony Optiarc SATA for $25 wth free shipping from newegg.

Nice! Glad you got it sorted ^_^

If it isn’t too much trouble, it’d be great if you could EDIT the original post, and in the subject box, add a [SOLVED] to the end of it (so it reads like “DVD Burner Problem. [SOLVED]” in the forums). Just makes the place a bit cleaner looking 😉 Good day!

@JonusC wrote:

Nice! Glad you got it sorted ^_^

If it isn’t too much trouble, it’d be great if you could EDIT the original post, and in the subject box, add a [SOLVED] to the end of it (so it reads like “DVD Burner Problem. [SOLVED]” in the forums). Just makes the place a bit cleaner looking 😉 Good day!

done 😉

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.