Disguise Win2k8 as Vista?

Forums General General Discussion Disguise Win2k8 as Vista?

• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to “disguise” Windows 2008 as Vista, i.e. have it report itself to applications as Vista?

I’m thinking it should be possible by editing reg keys in ComputerHKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion, but since I don’t have Vista to compare values, I can’t try it out…

that sounds interesting, would be useful for installations, would need the vista values of x86 and x64.

that sounds interesting, would be useful for installations, would need the vista values of x86 and x64.

Anonymous

this might solve the migration wizard problem – it wont run and says that it will only run on windows 200 sp3 as a minimum

big problem as going from vista to server is easy with this but a real pain without

this might solve the migration wizard problem – it wont run and says that it will only run on windows 200 sp3 as a minimum

big problem as going from vista to server is easy with this but a real pain without

Anonymous

Could someone post the key values of the corresponding Vista registry node? I’m willing to experiment, but I need the values…

Best would be if someone could export that part of the registry and upload it somewhere.

Could someone post the key values of the corresponding Vista registry node? I’m willing to experiment, but I need the values…

Best would be if someone could export that part of the registry and upload it somewhere.

Anonymous

I have Vista SP1 running on another computer so I exported the registry branch from HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion and imported it into my Server 2008 machine. Unfortunately, it didn’t make any difference. The System icon in Control Panel still reports it as Server 2008 and several applications that I tried still know it as Server, not Vista.

There must be other locations in the Registry that would need to be changed but does anyone know which ones they are?

I have Vista SP1 running on another computer so I exported the registry branch from HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion and imported it into my Server 2008 machine. Unfortunately, it didn’t make any difference. The System icon in Control Panel still reports it as Server 2008 and several applications that I tried still know it as Server, not Vista.

There must be other locations in the Registry that would need to be changed but does anyone know which ones they are?

Anonymous

there are multiple paths that windows stores its version information in one is

HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion

which you have stated and another is

HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion

Anonymous

I was wondering the same thing!

Anonymous

Viewing 18 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.