Desktop Experience On Core Install Possible?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Desktop Experience On Core Install Possible?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      hoak
      Participant

Topic subject pretty much sums up where I’m headed here; does anyone know if it’s possible to install Desktop Experience on a Server 2008R2 ‘Core’ installation? While it’s pretty obvious this would obviate a lot of the design intention of a Core install, perhaps completely; I’m wondering how much baggage Desktop Experience carries with it in trying to attain a minimal Worstation installation that is still at least following in a token manner Microsofts component design …

Arris

Haven’t played much with the ‘core’ installation of Windows Server 2008 R[1|2], but you could try to run the following command:

ServerManagerCmd -install Desktop-Experience

However, I expect this not to work and copying/registering all files needed for the Desktop Experience feature manually doesn’t sound as an option either.

If you really want to use a bare-bone Windows version, you should take a look at Windows Embedded, also discussed at this forum in [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1295:3363o6h4]this[/localurl:3363o6h4] and [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1177#p6034:3363o6h4]this[/localurl:3363o6h4] topic. The installation/configuration page reminds me a bit of the make menuconfig kernel options menu for Linux. 😉

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.