Bugs in Windows 7 – have you had them in 2008 R2?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Bugs in Windows 7 – have you had them in 2008 R2?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Every now and then when I reboot my Windows 7 machine, some of my system tray (Notification Area) icons just don’t show. The program is running, but there’s no icon. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

I know the program is working fine, because I can see it in the Customize Notification Area window under “Current Programs” (and not ‘Past Items’ or whatever) – but next to Tray Commander / Snarl / Sunbelt VIPRE / Safely Remove Hardware / WHATEVER (because it’s COMPLETELY random which icon is invisible), there is simply no visible icon there for the program – just the text.

It’s only very rare it happens, and as I said – is completely random. Sometimes I can go weeks without it happening once. Sometimes I reboot once and it recovers itself, othertimes it stays messed up for days then decides to work 100% again.

It’s very strange. This however, along with random explorer.exe crashes (I have a feeling those crashes are related to either Tortoise SVN or FileMenu Tools, both are Shell Extensions that use DLL Namespace hooks – such as that which Notepad++, WinRAR or 7zip context menu entires use for example, only much more complex), are the major reasons I’m giving 2008 R2 another go as a primary OS this weekend.

But I wanted to know if any R2 users here have seen anything like this before in their current install. Regardless, i’ll still move over even if you say you have I think 😆 cheers in advance!

I have not seen any of the system tray / notification issues you mentioned in my Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, which is in a VM.

Anonymous

I have not seen any of the system tray / notification issues you mentioned in my Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, which is in a VM.

Hmm… if it’s in a VM, how often do you use it? Because I have had Win7 installed for close to two months now and only started noticing it within these past few days, and I’ve got everything on here for my primary production needs – CS4 Suite, AV, Web Browsers and E-Mail clients, XAMPP and NetBeans, Visual Studio 2008, and so on… so it’s a pretty full system.

…I kinda have a feeling it’s something I use that is too old and causing an odd bug or conflict. Two programs I have become attached to over the years and not let go since Pre-SP2 WinXP days, Tray Commander and Hotkey Helper, are quite… well, they look retro basically, and I know one of them required Visual Basic 5 runtime to be installed (which is hard to find these days but I have it in my archive still…)

Well I think I’m going to do some research into finding some newer, alternate software for these particular applications regardless. But yeah, still curious to see if anyone has heard of this. Considering Google turns up nothing, I have a feeling it is indeed one of the few programs I use that are so rare, nobody even noticed that the companies don’t exist anymore 😆

Anonymous

Hmm… if it’s in a VM, how often do you use it? Because I have had Win7 installed for close to two months now and only started noticing it within these past few days, and I’ve got everything on here for my primary production needs – CS4 Suite, AV, Web Browsers and E-Mail clients, XAMPP and NetBeans, Visual Studio 2008, and so on… so it’s a pretty full system.

…I kinda have a feeling it’s something I use that is too old and causing an odd bug or conflict. Two programs I have become attached to over the years and not let go since Pre-SP2 WinXP days, Tray Commander and Hotkey Helper, are quite… well, they look retro basically, and I know one of them required Visual Basic 5 runtime to be installed (which is hard to find these days but I have it in my archive still…)

Well I think I’m going to do some research into finding some newer, alternate software for these particular applications regardless. But yeah, still curious to see if anyone has heard of this. Considering Google turns up nothing, I have a feeling it is indeed one of the few programs I use that are so rare, nobody even noticed that the companies don’t exist anymore 😆

I have been using R2 as a primary home system for 43 days. It’s working 24/7 (seeding torrents), reboots weekly, and I actively use it about 6-8 hours every day. Didn’t notice anything like you described (but I don’t use any of software you mentioned).

Anonymous

I have been using R2 as a primary home system for 43 days. It’s working 24/7 (seeding torrents), reboots weekly, and I actively use it about 6-8 hours every day. Didn’t notice anything like you described (but I don’t use any of software you mentioned).

Viewing 6 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.