Blue Ray Disc Playback without PowerDVD or WinDVD?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Applications Compatibility Blue Ray Disc Playback without PowerDVD or WinDVD?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Is there a way to play blue ray discs (off the disc, m2ts files play fine off the hdd) without PowerDVD or WinDVD?
      I’m using K-Lite Mega Codec Pack for virtually anything
      and don’t want to install PowerDVD or WinDVD, cause they are awfully bloated
      and don’t want to mess up the stability
      after all I’m using the laptop as a nearly 24/7 workstation and don’t want to install anything unnecessary

any help would be appreciated

Doesn’t Combined Community Codex Pack in combination with Media Player classic offers Blue-Ray playback?

Anonymous

Doesn’t Combined Community Codex Pack in combination with Media Player classic offers Blue-Ray playback?

I can totally see why this issue would be frustrating to you. If you’ve got a system that you utilize often, you’re better off keeping off any sort of hefty programs that will hinder the quality of your work process. If you have little ram to spare, you’re better off keeping certain programs off. I’m not entirely sure if the VLC player has blue ray playback, but judging by how awesome they are, they may have this feature in the next few months to a year. Keep an eye out as this program runs well and is fairly small.

Anonymous

I can totally see why this issue would be frustrating to you. If you’ve got a system that you utilize often, you’re better off keeping off any sort of hefty programs that will hinder the quality of your work process. If you have little ram to spare, you’re better off keeping certain programs off. I’m not entirely sure if the VLC player has blue ray playback, but judging by how awesome they are, they may have this feature in the next few months to a year. Keep an eye out as this program runs well and is fairly small.

Arris

From the VideoLAN Forums: Time for Blu-Ray support guys…

Sony (the creator of the BluRay Movie standard) is a very secretive company. They won’t give you the standards for the creation and playback of bluray movies unless you buy a “license”. Hence, the menu format for bluray movies, BD-J (the programming language for the intractive features) and the playback method for copy protected movies are all secrets of Sony, revealed only to afflicate companies.
            So, the only viable solution for the opensource community is to reverse engineer (guess) the standards trough “unofficial” methods, hoping they ‘ll come up with a working software for playback and creation of bluray movies.

I haven’t seen any player besides PowerDVD and WinDVD yet which supports the playback of blurays… 🙄

Anonymous

From the VideoLAN Forums: Time for Blu-Ray support guys…

Sony (the creator of the BluRay Movie standard) is a very secretive company. They won’t give you the standards for the creation and playback of bluray movies unless you buy a “license”. Hence, the menu format for bluray movies, BD-J (the programming language for the intractive features) and the playback method for copy protected movies are all secrets of Sony, revealed only to afflicate companies.
              So, the only viable solution for the opensource community is to reverse engineer (guess) the standards trough “unofficial” methods, hoping they ‘ll come up with a working software for playback and creation of bluray movies.

I haven’t seen any player besides PowerDVD and WinDVD yet which supports the playback of blurays… 🙄

Viewing 6 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.