Biometrics – Fingerprint reader

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware Compatibility Biometrics – Fingerprint reader

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

I just installed 2008 R2 on my HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop. It has a fingerprint reader built in for logging on and other password related items. I installed the Windows Biometrics Framework but can’t seem to figure out how to configure the reader to reconize my fingerprint.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or information that would help?

BTW, I followed the guide on the home page and so far so good. Love having a Server OS as my installed OS….

Have you installed the drivers? The Framework might not be enough. Check the Product Page for the laptop (google the model number) and check the Drivers/Downloads section – probably under ‘Support’. Try looking for Vista drivers for Biometric Reader.

Anonymous

Have you installed the drivers? The Framework might not be enough. Check the Product Page for the laptop (google the model number) and check the Drivers/Downloads section – probably under ‘Support’. Try looking for Vista drivers for Biometric Reader.

have the HP dv8 Pavilion Entertainment Laptop
        about the fingerprint reader I did the following:

installed the driver first from here:
        http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=4034201
        Validity sensor Finger Printer Driver
        Released: 2009-09-01
        Version: 2.1.0.2 A
        ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45020.exe

check hp support for your laptop and get the driver for 7 x64

and then installed the digital persona software for the reader from here
        http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=404164
        DigitalPersona Personal Fingerprint Reader Software
        Windows 7 x64 4.11.3805 11 Oct 2009
        http://go.notebookreview.com/?id=525X832&url=http%3A%2F%2Fd11tvxmfjhi64o.cloudfront.net%2FX64%2FSetup.exe

I also installed Windows Biometrics Framework hoping for some added functionality
        but nothing, what is this framework supposed to do?
        I would like to see support for other browsers and applications (ie keepass)
        the digital persona software seems to support only IE and logon
        hope that helps

Anonymous

have the HP dv8 Pavilion Entertainment Laptop
          about the fingerprint reader I did the following:

installed the driver first from here:
          http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=4034201
          Validity sensor Finger Printer Driver
          Released: 2009-09-01
          Version: 2.1.0.2 A
          ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45020.exe

check hp support for your laptop and get the driver for 7 x64

and then installed the digital persona software for the reader from here
          http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=404164
          DigitalPersona Personal Fingerprint Reader Software
          Windows 7 x64 4.11.3805 11 Oct 2009
          http://go.notebookreview.com/?id=525X832&url=http%3A%2F%2Fd11tvxmfjhi64o.cloudfront.net%2FX64%2FSetup.exe

I also installed Windows Biometrics Framework hoping for some added functionality
          but nothing, what is this framework supposed to do?
          I would like to see support for other browsers and applications (ie keepass)
          the digital persona software seems to support only IE and logon
          hope that helps

I have an Asus laptop with an Authentec scanner.

Asus provides no drivers for Win7 or 64bit vista, so this didnt help.

I got the official authentec drivers which seems to work fine, but I can never enroll my finger. It says it only needs 3 readings to enroll, but after 70 successful readings it just keeps going…

Anonymous

I have an Asus laptop with an Authentec scanner.

Asus provides no drivers for Win7 or 64bit vista, so this didnt help.

I got the official authentec drivers which seems to work fine, but I can never enroll my finger. It says it only needs 3 readings to enroll, but after 70 successful readings it just keeps going…

Windows Biometrics Framework adds an applet to Control Panel. On my IBM T60 everything looks ok, but when I try to enroll the finger I’ve got a message “Cannot start enrollment for current user. Biometry is disabled by operating system policies.”

I cannot find the place where I can enable it…

Probably this is because I train 2008 R2 Web Server.

Anonymous

Windows Biometrics Framework adds an applet to Control Panel. On my IBM T60 everything looks ok, but when I try to enroll the finger I’ve got a message “Cannot start enrollment for current user. Biometry is disabled by operating system policies.”

I cannot find the place where I can enable it…

Probably this is because I train 2008 R2 Web Server.

Arris

Here you have some options in the Local Group Policy Editor (Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc) you might want to change to get it working. After changing, restart your computer or force the new policies using the gpupdate /Force command.

Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsBiometrics

• “Allow domain users to log on using biometrics”
                • “Allow the use of biometrics”
                • “Allow users to log on using biometrics”

Hope this is causing the trouble so you can fix it now!

Anonymous

Here you have some options in the Local Group Policy Editor (Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc) you might want to change to get it working. After changing, restart your computer or force the new policies using the gpupdate /Force command.

Thank You Arris

I regret to say that gpedit was the first place I have check 🙁 I also inspect registry manually, got and read a few docs from MS regarding WBF and fingertip software design and now I know that I am really lost.

But – as for me with my ThinkPad – I have non-graceful but all-weather solution. I can use BIOS based biometry protection instead of Windows based.

Everything else is OK. After 2 days of really hard work all the features of my TP works well under 2008R2 Web Server.

Best regards.

Anonymous

Thank You Arris

I regret to say that gpedit was the first place I have check 🙁 I also inspect registry manually, got and read a few docs from MS regarding WBF and fingertip software design and now I know that I am really lost.

But – as for me with my ThinkPad – I have non-graceful but all-weather solution. I can use BIOS based biometry protection instead of Windows based.

Everything else is OK. After 2 days of really hard work all the features of my TP works well under 2008R2 Web Server.

Best regards.

@Arris wrote:

I was hoping this would solve my issue, but still no go 🙁

I am using TrueSuite from Authentec as Asus provides no software for 64bit Windows, and it just reads my fingerprint eternally, never registering.

Anonymous

@Arris wrote:

I was hoping this would solve my issue, but still no go 🙁

I am using TrueSuite from Authentec as Asus provides no software for 64bit Windows, and it just reads my fingerprint eternally, never registering.

I’ve found the solution to this problem. The reason this message appears is because you are trying to register a fingerprint for the Administrator account. Create a normal user account and it will work for that account, I can confirm that this works on my Thinkpad T61p using the drivers provided with windows update.

I found this solution by using google translate on the following page:
                      http://tc.wangchao.net.cn/bbs/detail_2008908.html

Anonymous

I’ve found the solution to this problem. The reason this message appears is because you are trying to register a fingerprint for the Administrator account. Create a normal user account and it will work for that account, I can confirm that this works on my Thinkpad T61p using the drivers provided with windows update.

I found this solution by using google translate on the following page:
                        http://tc.wangchao.net.cn/bbs/detail_2008908.html

A friend of mine uses Windows 7 on a ThinkPad T60 with the fingerprint reader. He swipes his finger twice if the first attempt fails. Try to see the Biometric Devices in Control Panel in configuring it. You can also recheck the manual of your biometric.

Anonymous

A friend of mine uses Windows 7 on a ThinkPad T60 with the fingerprint reader. He swipes his finger twice if the first attempt fails. Try to see the Biometric Devices in Control Panel in configuring it. You can also recheck the manual of your biometric.

Viewing 18 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.