AVG Anti-Virus Free

Forums General Feedback AVG Anti-Virus Free

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, this is my first post as you can see 😉

Regarding Anon’s method of installing AVG Free on Server 2008, I thought the process might be a bit confusing for some people.
      I’ve extracted, edited, modified and re-packed the entire installation to make it more-or-less a click-and-go process.

I’ve added a simple .reg file to add the registry key, and a little batch file which runs the .reg silently, then runs the installation after unpacking.

If you have any doubts about the content of the file, you’re free scan it and use WinRAR to extract the files from the SFX (Self Extracting EXE).

EDIT: I’ve uploaded a Zip to a service using Amazon’s S3 hosting, so this should turn out to be quite a reliable and fast mirror. Included in this new package also is a quick and dirty .BAT file which will rename a couple of files and hide those annoying AVG notification messages.

Download: AVG Free (8.0.173) for Server 2008

Arris

Hey Tomass, first: welcome on the Win2008Workstation.com Forums.

Nice job creating an installer so people don’t have to fix it all their selves! 🙂 I added the url to this topic to Anonymous’ comment.

I won’t add the installer on the Win2008Workstation Server to save bandwidth and because it’s not really a part of Windows. In stead I created 2 mirrors:
        Rapidshare: AVG_ServerNT_8.0b173.exe (50,3MB)
        4Shared: AVG_ServerNT_8.0b173.exe (50,3MB)

Greetings, Arris

thanks! this will make it easier for future server 2008 installs 😀

I’ve just updated my original mirror to one hosted by a service using Amazon S3, should be quite fast & reliable.

Also added to the archive, a bat file which removes those annoying, nagging notification messages.

If you’ve already got AVG installed, you can make the bat file yourself without downloading.
        AVG8RemoveNotifications.bat

@echo OFF
        ren "%ProgramFiles%AVGAVG8avgmwdef_us.mht" avgmwdef_us.mht.bak
        ren "%ProgramFiles%AVGAVG8avgresf.dll" avgresf.dll.bak
        echo Notifications hidden.
        pause
        exit
        Arris

Good work! New mirror is quite fast indeed. I didn’t know the File Hosting Service FilePanda yet, but it’s a nice one without time limits and so forth! 🙂 Currently (20/12/08) your installer has been downloaded 133 times from RapidShare and 87 times from 4Shared. 😉

AVG 8.5 just came out, can someone make a custom installer package for it to work on server 2008 please?

edit: nm I got it working, the same method I used before worked on it.

Nite can you upload your Version?

thx foxtrot

@foxtrot wrote:

Nite can you upload your Version?

thx foxtrot

Krkan created a custom installer package [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1021:1zsaboct]here[/localurl:1zsaboct].

What about one for AVG 9.0? It’s released already. I tried using the manual method on the other thread, which worked for 8.5, but not 9.0. Thanks in advance!

@maoxin87 wrote:

What about one for AVG 9.0? It’s released already. I tried using the manual method on the other thread, which worked for 8.5, but not 9.0. Thanks in advance!

As you can see from the [r2security:2cdfu2mu]R2 Security Software[/r2security:2cdfu2mu] page, the tweak does not work for the 9.x version of AVG as they changed the installer.

Hi guys!
          I used AVG too and I liked it, it worked very well. No wonder that is quite high rated, is not the top 1 but it is in top ten. I decided to use cause I saw its review on top ten antivirus reviews.

Viewing 10 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.