ATI Mobility x300 – Help!

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Hardware Compatibility (New) ATI Mobility x300 – Help!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have installed Server 2008 on my Dell Inspiron 6000. I love it except that I can’t get the video card working with the correct driver (ATI Mobility Radeon x300 M24 x86). I have tried running the ATI Catalyst installer for Vista (version 9.2) but cannot get it working.

I downloaded and unpacked the ATI Catalyst™ 9.2 Components Windows Vista (32 bit, 23.2MB, ver 9.2) driver from http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

I ran DH Mobility Modder from http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php to “prep” the MSI files from the C:ATISUPPORT folder and turn off UAC. Rebooted.

The setup program from C:ATISUPPORT9-2_vista32_dd_75976 ran successfully but the log shows the following error:

Catalyst® Install Manager
      Installation Report
      03/15/09 21:56:04

Hardware information
      Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
      Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
      Device ID 0x5460
      Vendor ID 0x1002
      Class Code 0x030000
      Revision ID 0x00
      Subsystem ID 0x2003
      Subsystem vendor ID 0x1028
      Other hardware

Existing packages
      ATI Catalyst Install Manager
      Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Packages for install

ATI Catalyst Install Manager
      Final Status: Success
      Version of Item: 3.0.710.0
      Size: 20 Mbytes

ATI Display Driver
      Final Status: Fail
      Version of Item: 8.582.0.0000
      Size: 90 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Error messages
      Driver Install: the specified driver package was not installed for matching devices

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I appreciate any help, even if it’s a pointer to which value laptop is best to use for a Windows 2008 “workstation”.

Thanks!

Jon

Anybody? 😥

Arris

Try to open the 9-3_vista32_win7_32_dd.exe using 7-zip, extract the folder “9-3_vista32_win7_32_dd.exe$_OUTDIRPackagesDriversDisplayLH_INF” and try to install the driver using method 2 described in the Drivers page of the Manual.

I don’t own an ATI card so couldn’t test it.

Good luck!

Hi Arris..

Thanks for the reply… I will give this a try and post the results!

Happy Friday!

Jon

Hi Arris,

Thank you — it worked!

The ATI drivers installed and the only difference from your instructions is that I had to specify the driver manually instead of letting Windows 2008 detect it automatically from the INF file.

Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> Standard VGA Adapter -> Right click “Update Driver Software” -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Show all devices -> Have Disk -> (Specify the extracted folder) -> (Select the name of the hardware)

Windows 2008 “Workstation” is working on my laptop now! Thanks again!

Best regards,

Jon

Arris

I’m glad you got it working and thanks for the good explanation so other people with a similar problem can fix it too! 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.