AMD’s response to my games bad performance and AMD Catalyst

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 Hardware Compatibility AMD’s response to my games bad performance and AMD Catalyst

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

FYI: I have tried the tutorial found in this forum viewtopic.php?t=2009

(as best I could since it was meant for 2008) using Orca MSI editing software and the instructions on this site to no avail. If anyone has a miracle cure for me, please let me know!!! 🙂

My email:
      I have been attempting to play games on my Windows Server 2012 machine. My current hardware specs are: CPU: Phenom II x4 965 GPU: Radeon 7850 RAM: 1333 8GB DDR3 HDD: 6 Gbps 1 TB Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX I have no problems installing games or getting them to launch, but when they are running my frames per second are both low and erratic. I have a comparable system which runs fine on Windows 7 using a Radeon 6870 so I know that the performance is nowhere near optimal on this Server 2012 machine. For example the games that I am running should be consistently running above or around 50 frames per second, but are achieving anywhere from the low 20’s to mid 30’s during gameplay. I have even attempted turning the graphics settings for games to the lowest possible and the performance stays at the same dismal fps. Some games are using Steam, others not. Games include: -Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon -Skyrim -Tribes Ascend -Left for Dead 2 -Lord of the Rings Online -Borderlands 2. I have attempted to disable onboard graphics through the BIOS, made sure DirectX is up to date and functional through the DXDIAG utility and have flashed the motherboard’s BIOS to the latest version. I have tried various versions of AMD Catalyst (uninstalling each before installing new ones) including 12.10, 13.1, 13.4, and 13.6 Beta. Each one installs perfectly fine. However, no difference in performance for any. Also, I have noticed the Control Center has no options for GPU Scaling and under the Hardware section there is no information listed for ‘Graphics Bus Capability’ and ‘Maximum Bus Setting’. My instinct is telling me that the AMD drivers are not yet optimized or tailored for Server 2012 systems. Any hope for me to get these games running smoothly? Thanks!

AMD Response:

Dear Customer,

Response and Service Request History:

I understand that you have poor game performance in Windows Server 2012 system using HD 7850 graphic card. If this is incorrect, please let me know as the information provided may change.

The HD 7850 is designed for home based PC system so Server OS is not supported and optimized in games by AMD. This is why you cannot see improvement in any driver release since both the hardware itself and the drivers are aim at providing the best performance for home based OS like Windows Vista, 7 & 8. It is strongly recommended you use the card in supported OS for the best performance.
      I am sorry to tell you this but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to let us know.
      In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Anonymous

Hello Mojo,

Sorry to hear they wouldn’t offer you an explanation as to why your gaming experience is poor, however I have worked extensively with Windows Server products these past few years and may be able to provide some insight as to whats causing your error.

One thing you definitely want to disable as a test is the Hyper-V role, if its installed. There is a lot of performance overhead created on the host operating system when the Hyper-V Role is running on certain architectures. Specifically if your processor lacks SLAT (look up the term in Google), then game performance will suffer as a result. Even with SLAT, there is still a performance penalty with a hypervisor directly above the kernel level. This cannot be avoided. If you have Hyper-V installed, please turn it off and test!

Anonymous

Thank you for the quick and informed reply. I will test this soon and get back to you. I forget what other features I may have enabled , so are there others you may think should be disabled as well? I’m primarily going to use this pc as a gaming workstation .

Anonymous

@halladayrules wrote:

Hello Mojo,

Sorry to hear they wouldn’t offer you an explanation as to why your gaming experience is poor, however I have worked extensively with Windows Server products these past few years and may be able to provide some insight as to whats causing your error.

One thing you definitely want to disable as a test is the Hyper-V role, if its installed. There is a lot of performance overhead created on the host operating system when the Hyper-V Role is running on certain architectures. Specifically if your processor lacks SLAT (look up the term in Google), then game performance will suffer as a result. Even with SLAT, there is still a performance penalty with a hypervisor directly above the kernel level. This cannot be avoided. If you have Hyper-V installed, please turn it off and test!

So I gave that a try. Didn’t work! It may have improved performance by about 5%, but gaming is still wonky. Borderlands 2 will shoot down to 25 fps if I am having a fight with 2 people, average around 30fps, but if I look at the distance and not move it might be 60 fps (of course). Nowhere near what it should be performing at on a Win7/8 machine. Any other ideas?

Anonymous

@MojoRising wrote:

@halladayrules wrote:

Hello Mojo,

So I gave that a try. Didn’t work! It may have improved performance by about 5%, but gaming is still wonky. Borderlands 2 will shoot down to 25 fps if I am having a fight with 2 people, average around 30fps, but if I look at the distance and not move it might be 60 fps (of course). Nowhere near what it should be performing at on a Win7/8 machine. Any other ideas?

I cannot endorse Windows Server 2012 as an admirable workstation due to the deficiencies of the Metro UI on the server platform and the sluggishness of the operating system in general. I have tried to adopt Server 2012 several times on my machine, but I am just not satisfied with the performance of the system. Too many annoyances to overcome, for example that every time you install an application a new tile clutters the start screen or the fact that you have to leave UAC enabled to take full advantage of the Metro applications, speaking of which does not even belong on a server operating system. Previous version of Windows Server always offered a tangible alternative to the desktop client version of Windows UNTIL Windows 8 was released. Remember when Vista was released it was plagued with driver compatibility bugs and considered by the general public as a memory hog. Then server 2008 rolled around with a refined operating system that offered a “slimed down” version of Vista, capable of running in a desktop-like environment at half the resource cost. BOOM. The Windows Server workstation forum was born. This ideal platform model of server+workstation continutity was what made this forum I am typing on popular to this day. Fast forward to Oct. 2012 when Server 2012 is released… it offers little or no tangible benefits over Windows 8. Both have Metro. Both have same memory footprint. Both have Hyper-V. Both have file sharing services. Both support touch. Outside of the server-specific roles you benefit zilch from Server 2012 as a workstation.

Anonymous

I appreciate your help and input. I was getting the same impression as you on the issue. In fact I was mostly experimenting with server 2012 because it cost me nothing through dreamspark. Can’t believe I would actually dishing out cash for Windows 8. Oh well, just me penny pinching! I wonder how some other people are getting decent game performance? Due to different graphics cards? I’d now rather dish out cash for new operating system than wait for AMD to make legit drivers.

Viewing 5 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.