Hyper-V Coming to Windows 8

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Hyper-V Coming to Windows 8

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Interesting that Microsoft has decided to integrate its Hyper-V solution on the next generation of its operating system, “Windows 8” marking the first time it will be able on both the client and server platforms. Hyper-V will only be as option on the 64-bit edition of Windows 8. As well you will need to meet the platform requirements of supporting second level address translation (SLAT). I think the main idea behind allowing this will give IT professionals the flexibility with testing applications in a virtual environment on Windows 8 to ensure it will function properly before deploying it company/organization-wide.

Do you think this makes any sense at all from a client perspective? Hyper-V is notoriously horrible at Windows Aero performance when enabled as a role in Server. It is understandable in a server enviornment when you are virtualizing everything and Hyper-V is just the grand central station, but using it on client desktop PCs just isn’t feasible. I was a bit surprised when I read this article. What’s everyone’s take?

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/09/hyper-v-coming-to-windows-8with-new-hardware-virtualization-requirement.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.