Finally got my server workstation working

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Finally got my server workstation working

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

So I finally got windows server 2008 r2 enterprise installed on my desktop. I got it all customized using windows 7 custom themes, and reinstalled all my apps. Overall I think it came out pretty good so far.

Looks sweet man! I see you got Rainmeter and Rocket Dock for your custom UI look. Be sure to check out how to enable Boot Optimization from my YouTube channel, that should help speed up your application responsiveness.

http://www.youtube.com/user/win2008workstation?feature=mhum#p/u/7/LQJQT_kmbXA

Also, be sure to disable “core parking” on your i7 machine to further improve your workstation experience. Disabling core parking can help with CPU intensive tasks like video rendering or watching a blu ray movie in 1080p.

How to disable core parking: http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644

Thanks!

Yea I am running rainmeter, objectdock, and blend 2.0 for a theme and I manually modified the ExploreFrame.dll’s with a resediter for Windows Server 2008 R2 to have the modified buttons and such as only a dll for windows 7 was provided and gave all sorts of issues.

Thanks about the Core i7 thing, and as far as the boot optimization goes do I need to do that? My primary boot drive is a Corsair SSD, not a regular hard disk.

– Dan

Boot optimisation only applies to physical disks where sectors closer to the spindle have lower access times. You should NEVER perform any sort of defragmentation / data reordering on an SSD! It’s all internally managed by the SSD firmware, do not attempt to outsmart it, you will only shorten your SSD’s lifetime.

@AEDan1977 wrote:

Thanks!

Yea I am running rainmeter, objectdock, and blend 2.0 for a theme and I manually modified the ExploreFrame.dll’s with a resediter for Windows Server 2008 R2 to have the modified buttons and such as only a dll for windows 7 was provided and gave all sorts of issues.

Thanks about the Core i7 thing, and as far as the boot optimization goes do I need to do that? My primary boot drive is a Corsair SSD, not a regular hard disk.

– Dan

Oh then no. R2 should already optimized for your SSD.

@AEDan1977 wrote:

Thanks!

– Dan

Oh then no. R2 should already optimized for your SSD. Mufunyo is correct. Boot optimization is designed for conventional HDDs with read/write heads.

@halladayrules wrote:

@AEDan1977 wrote:

Thanks!

– Dan

Oh then no. R2 should already optimized for your SSD. Mufunyo is correct. Boot optimization is designed for conventional HDDs with read/write heads.

k thats what I thought, because of the TRIM in the SSD and windows 7 supported it, so i figured R2 would as well.

I want that theme!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.