Preparing for Server 2008 MCTS studies on one desktop.

Forums General General Discussion Preparing for Server 2008 MCTS studies on one desktop.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I would like to set up some virtual machines to prepare for my Server 2008 MCTS studies.

I currently have one desktop machine, an Intel Q6600 with 4GB of RAM. For the testing, I assume I may need to have 3 or 4 virtual machines running at any one time as well as the host OS. Is this viable without buying more hardware?

The reason for posting in this forum is that I wasn’t sure if using “Workstation 2008” x64 and installing the Hyper-V role would make a good base. I would then use this as my host OS and add the virtual machines as needed.
      Alternatively, would using Vista or XP64 as the host OS and then using Virtual Server 2005 or VMWare Workstation or VMWare server be better?

Basically I would like a solution that will run 3 or 4 virtual machines (say 2 servers, maybe 1 DC and 1 Exchange server as well as an XP workstation) reasonably well on my hardware. When not testing, I’d like my host os to be as close to a “normal” desktop as possible i.e. run “consumer” type applications, the occasional game etc.

Thank you.

Arris

I think Hyper-V will be a good base for you. Like VMWare it also has the option to create virtual networks etc. The amount of RAM you need depends on what Operating Systems you are going to use in Hyper-V. If you are going to use some Windows XP clients, it is possible to assign them 512MB ram or even less like 384MB or 256MB so you have more then enough memory.

Just be sure your motherboard supports Hardware Assisted Virtualization and the No eXecute (NX) bit, but I expect you to have a modern pc so it will work.

Hope this gives you enough information to make your decision!

Greetings, Arris

Thanks very much. I’ll make sure I post to the board if I have any problems 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.