CDROM Slow!!!!

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous CDROM Slow!!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have followed all the instructions and now have a working 2008 x64 workstation. When I try to install anything from CDROM it EXTREMELY slow. Does anyone know why this is? I can copy files from the CDROM relatively fast yet installing from CDROM is crazy slow. ❗

Arris

Hello Gozzgug,

Never heard of this problem before! Maybe you can find something about the trouble with your cdrom drive in the System Logs? Open the Event Viewer by clicking Run in the Start menu, then enter eventvwr.msc and click OK. In the Event Viewer expand Windows Logs and click System. Now look at the log entries, especially with the Level Error or Warning. Hope you can find the problem that is slowing down the transfer rate so much (if it is the transfer rate that is slowing it down, because installing a game/application is much more than just copying files, so also look at the cpu usage while installing a game/application).

Good luck! 😉

I have not seen this either. When installing from it my DVD-RW actually sped up.

Try checking the DMA setting in hardware manager for the channel that the cd rom is running on as it could be set to PIO by mistake you need to set it to udma on the drop down list

it will be slower when installing as has to pull more files at once but copyign single files is fast as only single files are read

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.