ReadyBoost in Server 2008

For every Wish a topic to keep stat of the progress.

Re: ReadyBoost in Server 2008

Postby hackerman1 » 14 Jun 2010, 02:42

hi !

Readyboost is installed but doesn´t start.
when i try to start Readyboost in services, i get Error 1083: "The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service"

i´ve followed the instructions, including all reboots.

this part of the instructions is a little bit confusing:
"Navigate to the...
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost\
...key and edit the Multi-String entry "LocalSystemNetworkRestricted" - add "EMDMgmt" to the end of it, on a new line."

"add EMDMgmt" ?
add as what, a string without value ?

any ideas ?
Security: USER-account, EAM-full, Comodo´s HIPS, Windows FireWall, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file,
UAC (Max), Sandboxie, EMET, Pale Moon with Noscript, AD-Block & DoNotTrackPlus,
a working "main CPU" & "2 optical input units".
hackerman1
Win2008Workstation Admin
Win2008Workstation Admin

Postby JonusC » 14 Jun 2010, 04:21

hackerman1 wrote:this part of the instructions is a little bit confusing:
"Navigate to the...
...key and edit the Multi-String entry "LocalSystemNetworkRestricted" - add "EMDMgmt" to the end of it, on a new line."

"add EMDMgmt" ?

You need to edit the existing entry LocalSystemNetworkRestricted which is not a string entry but a multistring. When you open it it will look like a textbox which can take multiple lines like Notepad. All the existing entries are other serives so don't make a mistake and delete some of the texrt! Scroll to the end of the value and type EMDMgmt and OK it. Here's a screenshot -

EMDMgmt_REG_MULTI_SZ.png

Note that I did that grab on Windows 7 so the existing services are probably different to 2K8, but hopefully you can see what I mean by the example of adding the service.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image _________ Image <- Thanks Microsoft!
JonusC
Win2008Workstation Expert

Postby hackerman1 » 14 Jun 2010, 05:50

hi !

JonusC wrote:
hackerman1 wrote:this part of the instructions is a little bit confusing:
"Navigate to the...

"add EMDMgmt" ?

You need to edit the existing entry LocalSystemNetworkRestricted which is not a string entry but a multistring. When you open it it will look like a textbox which can take multiple lines like Notepad. All the existing entries are other serives so don't make a mistake and delete some of the texrt! Scroll to the end of the value and type EMDMgmt and OK it. Here's a screenshot -

EMDMgmt_REG_MULTI_SZ.png

Note that I did that grab on Windows 7 so the existing services are probably different to 2K8, but hopefully you can see what I mean by the example of adding the service.

THANKS !

your screenshots really helped.
my mistake was that i went "one level" too deep, i opened svchost & right-clicked on "LocalSystemNetworkRestricted", and added a string.

now i have learned how to edit multistrings...

Readyboost is working now.

is this the only thread about readyboost in WS2008 ?
any news about the installer ?
Security: USER-account, EAM-full, Comodo´s HIPS, Windows FireWall, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file,
UAC (Max), Sandboxie, EMET, Pale Moon with Noscript, AD-Block & DoNotTrackPlus,
a working "main CPU" & "2 optical input units".
hackerman1
Win2008Workstation Admin
Win2008Workstation Admin

Postby JonusC » 14 Jun 2010, 06:55

EDIT: Since I will start making an installer soon, please anyone mention if you've had any bugs or problems with ReadyBoost after installing via this guide! (It will also support 64-bit)

Yeah this is the only thread as far as I know, I remember working on this ages ago.

Yes, the installer. I had started one, but I found it difficult to program because of those manual steps and stuff. But I remember I made this a while ago, it's amazing what you can learn in just a few months ;)

I use Windows 7 right now i don't have much interest in Server > Workstation conversion anymore I because I think 2008 R2 is crap... and I have lots of serious projects I'm working on. But hey I will make an installer for it soon unless someone beats me to it. It will be something to put on my soon-to-come blog =)
Image _________ Image <- Thanks Microsoft!
JonusC

Postby walrus » 23 Jul 2010, 04:33

any chance there is still movement on this project? i am running server 2008 rc2, so x64 of course and i would like to have this :-)
walrus

Postby fromeye2u » 21 Jul 2012, 05:02

Thanks for this. I have just backed-up after a clean install on an old 32bit Gateway server. I'm going to give it a go!
fromeye2u

Postby fromeye2u » 21 Jul 2012, 08:46

Everything went well...Don't make the mistake I did on the "LocalSystemNetworkRestricted" key as there is a "LocalServiceNetworkRestricted" key under the name root that tricked me into making the changes there! - LOL
So far it is working without a hitch...Hopefully it will remain stable.
fromeye2u

Postby taigon » 25 Mar 2015, 11:37

Your procedures are referring to merging registry files but I don't see any .reg files in your archive. Am I missing something here?
taigon

Previous

Return to Wish List Progress