Compatibility issues under Windows Server 2012 R2

Applications you can't get to work (properly) in Windows Server 2012 R2.

Re: Compatibility issues under Windows Server 2012 R2

Postby Lotusisrael » 24 May 2014, 13:51

hackerman1 wrote:I don´t use WS2012-R2 (yet) so I can´t comment on CD-burning only on the ADMIN-account.
But if so, why kill & then restart explorer ?
It would be easier just to switch to the ADMIN-account, burn CD, switch back to the USER-account....? ;)

I read a discussion regarding WS 2008 r2 on a Microsoft forum on this, a MS engineer said this is the only way to use the OS-ul build-in burnind features. For me, it is easier to kill Windows Explorer and bring it back again, instead of sign out, sign in. It feels lighter. And I forgot to add that, if I only want to burn an iso, I can switch back to Windows Explorer with limited UAC privileges even before the burning process finshes. On my older PC I run WS 2008 r2, on there a have a old Nero OEM license, it works fine, I click Run as Administrator and it works fine. On my new machine, I run WS 2012 r2, on there I burn on much rare occasions, for now I use only the build in burning functions of Windows. My opinion is that, even if you ran a Windows Server OS or a normal Windows OS, you still have to rely on 3rd party burning apps with proven reliability, like Nero or CDBurnerXP, because they bring a lot more costumization options, and that means more freedom and more safety. The burning features build-in Windows rely on pre-loaded functions.
Lotusisrael
Win2008Workstation Super Member
Win2008Workstation Super Member

Postby Micro » 19 Mar 2015, 13:45

hackerman1 wrote:
Lotusisrael wrote:Like all Windows Servers, Cd burning is blocked by a security policy that nobody found a way to disable. You can do cd burning only on Administrator account, with UAC disabled. You can use software like CD burning XP click-ing on the them „Run as Administrator”. For the build-in function of burning, you need to stop Windows Explorer from Task Manager, then re-open it with Administrator privilegies. After you are done with burning, stop Windows Explorer again from Task Manager, and re-open it with normal privilegies (this last step is important for security issues).

I don´t use WS2012-R2 (yet) so I can´t comment on CD-burning only on the ADMIN-account.
But if so, why kill & then restart explorer ?
It would be easier just to switch to the ADMIN-account, burn CD, switch back to the USER-account....? ;)

You're making it too hard.

Actually all you need is an old program from 2004 - Nero BurnRights and a few security policy changes.

Fire up Secpol.msc.
In Local Policies\Security Options -
Set "Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable media" to "Administrators and Interactive Users"
Set "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only" to "Disabled"

As to Nero BurnRights - New Versions are available @ http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads/.
BUT then you have to futz around with them, because the Nero boys are d**ks when it comes to file compatibility.

So here is an old version that just plain works :), from back when the Ahead crew knew what they were doing ;)
http://www.rm.com/Support/GeneralDownlo ... 3790&nav=0
Documentation is also there.

Run the program as an Administrator.
The Program Compatibility Assitant will tell you "This program has compatibility issues".
Click on the "Run the program without getting help" line and it will install fine.
Once it is done installing, it will bring up it's interface, but normally the defaults are OK.
Now you need to reboot, and then burn your disks with any account.
If you need to access the Nero BurnRights interface, it is in the Control Panel.
Take the time to use Orca on Nero and sail on.

BTW - I run with UAC off, so you may need that also, I never bothered to check that :oops:

I also have System Restore installing and working as it should in 2012 r2, doing scheduled and install points.
Micro

Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money
Micro

Postby larvaretire » 21 May 2018, 13:16

hackerman1 wrote:
Dimitris_S wrote:Does anyone know where can I get Orca? I read I have to extract it from Windows Installer SDK, but I also found this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Authoring-tools/Setup-creators/Orca.shtml. Is it the one?

I have no idea...
The easiest (and safest !) would be to download the SDK from Microsoft.
Extraction is easy.
Don´t you know where to find it ?

Regarding installing software, there is some info about the "usual" tricks here: happy wheels
http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum ... =64&t=2463

btw. thanks for cleaning up the text in your first post, now it´s readable...

I'll give it a try as soon as I get to activate Windows. Some features seem locked, some others are. And this MS number is always busy... :x Anyway.

I cannot use the registry hack for the ADM Catalyst. The specified registry keys are missing. I also found out that such entries do not exist in Win7 or Win8 registries. Odd...
larvaretire

Previous

Return to Applications Compatibility