ReadyBoost in Server 2008

For every Wish a topic to keep stat of the progress.

Re: ReadyBoost in Server 2008

Postby JonusC » 05 Dec 2008, 12:53

I honestly have no idea, and wouldn't dream of suggesting to try it unless you have a full image backup, or its a test install. I've never EVER even looked at a x64 version of Windows! But guess what - i'm getting a new PC next week, and as such will have the capability to install a 64-bit version of Server 2008 in VMWare! So hopefully soon a 64-bit version will be up!

Sorry for the lack of an installer still, busy busy busy. Havn't forgotten don't worry!
Image _________ Image <- Thanks Microsoft!
JonusC
Win2008Workstation Expert

Postby Barmad » 14 Dec 2008, 13:00

Hi

Switched to Server 2008 Standard x64 from Vista Ultimate x86 a few weeks ago and I am loving the new lease of life my puter has been given.

My only gripe though - and it's a very minor gripe - concerns the time it takes to boot up... around thirty seconds longer than Vista. I know that x64 takes longer anyway because of WOW, but thirty seconds?

I know that Readyboost does two things: lets you use USB drives to help boot speeds, and rearranges Windows' own boot files on the hard disk. I'm wondering if this ported Readyboost service can also optimise files on the hard disk? If yes, can't wait for the x64 version!

Barmad
Barmad

Postby JonusC » 14 Dec 2008, 23:28

Barmad wrote:I'm wondering if this ported Readyboost service can also optimise files on the hard disk?

Interesting... I thought that was a function of the Superfetch service? Well I remember reading a very detailed article on ReadyBoost but can't find it now, if you could find a source for that i'd appreciate it! But i'm going to start at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost [most of those External Links I recognize from my research on this] and also re-read the article at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 62494.aspx in the meantime :)

Anywho, my computer blew up last week [literally! but no fire luckily] so i'm out for a few more days... again... but i'm still here!
JonusC

Postby Barmad » 15 Dec 2008, 17:37

Well I remember reading a very detailed article on ReadyBoost but can't find it now, if you could find a source for that i'd appreciate it!

Any help?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc162480.aspx

Barmad
Barmad

Postby JonusC » 24 Dec 2008, 01:08

Yes thats one of them - thanks for that.

Well my new PC is running, but I will now need to download an x64 ISO of Server2K8 AND VISTA to run in trial so I can try and do it for x64 aswell....
...horray for new PC!
JonusC

Postby JonusC » 07 Jan 2009, 09:42

Yeah another double post... I figure I should bump this though anyway for what i want to say.

Either something is very wrong with the little hack I shared here, or the two "ReadyBoost Capable" USB drives of completely different brands [countries of manufacturing too] are coincidently buggy with ReadyBoost. Untested on Vista, because this problem cannot be recreated on-demand [it appears random] After a while of ReadyBoost running and all good and well, after some time for some reason something bad triggers - the USB Mass Storage device doesn't fail or anything, but the filesystem looses its' mountpoint somehow. What i mean is, i browse to my X: [8GB SanDisk Cruizer] and it is completely blank, in Properties Page > Filesystem is {blank}; Capacity is 0 bytes and Freespace is 0 bytes. And ReadyBoost is not switched on [activity light doesnt flash].

As soon as i unplug it and replug it though, it works again.

Also, I don't know if this happens in Vista too, but when I either first-create the sfcache file [in the Properties Page] or change the size of the cache that I already created, it takes about 30-60 seconds to actually "OK" when I click OK. If you know what i mean... the usual UI hangings that occur in Windows. Is this normal?

Anyway, in light of this, im not working on this anymore and looking at other 200u8 Workstation things instead, until someone can confirm that they have been using this ReadyBoost hack this whole time without problems - or even if they had the same problem so I know it's not just my hardware. And no, no x64 yet either. I't might have something to do with WinSAT or the missing Event Log reporter keys for ReadyBoost service, if that's the case i'm going to have to start it from scratch again and thats not something i'm looking forward to. So...

If this doesn't go anywhere from here, I think we might be stuffed until further notice....
JonusC

Postby CharlyAR » 05 Apr 2009, 00:23

Seems this post has been dead. Anyway...

I tried both in x86 and x64.
With x86 it works great. Is not my main OS but I didn't have any problem. ¡Great!

Tried the same with x64:
- It's the main OS for my main computer.
- Some files have to be copied from a 64 Vista installation. They differ from the x86 version and when you try to run them the OS won't start. ecache.sys for example.
- If you do copy the files from a Vista x64 installation, the process run smoothly and without any BSOD or problem. But...
- The ReadyBoost service won't start. Whenever you try to start the service a dialog box is displayed saying:
- Seems something should be different, at least for a x64 installation. My hunch is that some registry key is harcoded for x86. I will give it a try later to see if I can find the keys in the Vista x64 installation for the registry.

If somebody has any experience to share, it will gonna be welcome.

Edit: Scratch that. I'm looking into some issues with Volume Shadow Copy Service. Seems related to it.
CharlyAR

Postby 00integrals » 13 May 2009, 22:57

Any updates to this?
00integrals

Postby CharlyAR » 13 May 2009, 23:45

No. I got stuck at "The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.".

I can't seem to find the reason. Help will gonna be preciated. :?:

Anyway, hopefully I will gonna be installing Win2008 R2 and we will gonna be back at square zero. :mrgreen:
CharlyAR

Postby hackerman1 » 13 Jun 2010, 19:31

hi !

does Readyboost work in server 2008 ?

i´ve done a search, but i can´t find any other thread about readyboost.

update: i found info about how to merge reg-files, you can forget my question about merge.
Last edited by hackerman1 on 14 Jun 2010, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
Security: USER-account, EAM-full, Comodo´s HIPS, Windows FireWall, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file,
UAC (Max), Sandboxie, EMET, Pale Moon with Noscript, AD-Block & DoNotTrackPlus,
a working "main CPU" & "2 optical input units".
hackerman1
Win2008Workstation Admin
Win2008Workstation Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Wish List Progress