Windows Sidebar

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’m not entirely sure this is the right place for this question, but it’s the best I could find.

I’m running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64.

Windows Sidebar will run, and the Calendar gadget works fine. But it is the only gadget that will work. All other gadgets (from MS or otherwise) cause the Sidebar to stop running, with the c00005 exception code. I tried limiting DEP to essential programs, but that was no help. I then tried to execute “bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff”, but it won’t execute, telling me “The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied.”

Anyone got a clue as to what I should try next?

RFT!!!
      Dave Kelsen

A good submissive is hard to beat.

sorry but R2 hasn’t a sidebar – only desktop gadgets – maybe you use an incompatible gadget – on my machine it works fine ( ultimate weather gadget thl )

Anonymous

sorry but R2 hasn’t a sidebar – only desktop gadgets – maybe you use an incompatible gadget – on my machine it works fine ( ultimate weather gadget thl )

Remiel,

I agree that W2K8SrvrR2 doesn’t have a sidebar, of course. Are you saying that you can and have installed gadgets without installing the sidebar?

That would be cool. This site explains how to install the sidebar, then gadgets, here:

http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/sidebar

Anyway, somewhere on this site I found a mention that some of these installation tools need to be run from the drive they are being installed on; I always unzip and install from another drive, so that may be why I’m having difficulty.

Thanks for the reply.

RFT!!!
        Dave Kelsen

Love means never having to say, “Put down that chainsaw”.

Anonymous

Remiel,

I agree that W2K8SrvrR2 doesn’t have a sidebar, of course. Are you saying that you can and have installed gadgets without installing the sidebar?

That would be cool. This site explains how to install the sidebar, then gadgets, here:

http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/sidebar

Anyway, somewhere on this site I found a mention that some of these installation tools need to be run from the drive they are being installed on; I always unzip and install from another drive, so that may be why I’m having difficulty.

Thanks for the reply.

RFT!!!
          Dave Kelsen

Love means never having to say, “Put down that chainsaw”.

Here’s a desktop gadget related question:

What firewall rule should I use to allow weather gadget to work, if I block all outbound connection by default?

In Server 2008 R1, it used to be that I just needed to create a rule for sidebar.exe. But in R2 this doesn’t work:
          %ProgramFiles% (x86)Windows Sidebarsidebar.exe
          Allow this connection
          For Public, Private, Domain profiles
          Any local/remote address, any protocol, any port

Edit:
          Nevermind, forgot that I’m NOT running the x86 sidebar. Too bad the firewall logging doesn’t log the application name/path.

Anonymous

Here’s a desktop gadget related question:

What firewall rule should I use to allow weather gadget to work, if I block all outbound connection by default?

In Server 2008 R1, it used to be that I just needed to create a rule for sidebar.exe. But in R2 this doesn’t work:
            %ProgramFiles% (x86)Windows Sidebarsidebar.exe
            Allow this connection
            For Public, Private, Domain profiles
            Any local/remote address, any protocol, any port

Edit:
            Nevermind, forgot that I’m NOT running the x86 sidebar. Too bad the firewall logging doesn’t log the application name/path.

Viewing 6 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.