Windows Server 2012 r2 preview lauched!

Forums General In the News Windows Server 2012 r2 preview lauched!

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Lotusisrael

Windows Server 2012 r2 preview was lauched! I am downloading it as we speak. Can not wait to deploy it!
        http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

Anonymous

Tested it.

M$ reinstated a sort of a Start Button but nothing comparable to the Stardock version. 😥

Superfetch is still not working. 😆 😆 😆

I have not looked into the rest for the moment, I will test it over the weekend.

N 🙂

Anonymous

Could not install. On boot, it gives some sort of error, like it was when I was tring to install Windows 8 32bit on a PC with a processor with no NX bit feature (Altough there was one single error code, in here were two or three.). Most likely this is caused by the fact that, probably, Hyper-V is enabled by default, and that in WS2012 was not the case. My processor does not support Hyper-V.
            Any ideas how can I bypass this?

Anonymous

Hyper-V is not enabled at all by default.

Furthermore I installed it in a VM, it’s a little slow on startup but working.

You should search M$ knowledge base for the error code you get, maybe you get more info from there.

N 🙂

Anonymous

I tested it on VMware Player, it had the same thing and, I found this

Error Code: 0x000000C4

Parameters:

0x0000000000000091

0x000000000000000F

0xFFFFF803649C3A80

0x0000000000000000

Allready posted on MS forums about it.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/1817876a-e70f-4d6c-854c-875297bfcb31/windows-server-2012-r2-preview-installation-error#1817876a-e70f-4d6c-854c-875297bfcb31
                I knew about WS 2012 that HyperV is disabled by default, but this is a new OS. Looked on Google the error code and it gave something about Win 7/2008 r2, regarding drivers. Does not make sense, for now.
                Update 1: tested the Server Essentials version of well. The same error on VMware.
                Update 2: two atempts to install. One, I removed all the hardware connected through usb and booted. Failure. The second, tried an upgrade instalation. On first boot, failed as well.

Anonymous

looking good 🙂
                  3.8 GB ISO
                  10 GB installation

9831 bulid

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

Windows Server 2012 r2 preview was lauched!

since this a “preview” i am guessing there will be a rtm / final version soon right ❓

i never download preview isos / betas of applications 🙄

Anonymous

I will wait until the RTM is available to upgrade

Anonymous

Yep having issues with public preview. Can’t seem to upgrade but can do a fresh install on VMware. WTF.

Anonymous

I have seen the requirements on Windows 8.1 x64, ”For 64-bit installations of Windows 8.1 Preview, your CPU must also support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF. ” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-faq
                          Since most likely the kernel of Windows 8.1 x64 is identical to that of Windows Server 2012 r2, this is very probably the cause of my problem and to the problems the others face. My processor lacks CMPXCHG16b, so this means probably end of the road. Either abandon Windows Server completly, or buy a new CPU. I have AMD Sempron 3000+, hopefully Sempron 3400+ will do the job.

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

I have seen the requirements on Windows 8.1 x64, ”For 64-bit installations of Windows 8.1 Preview, your CPU must also support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF. ” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-faq
                            Since most likely the kernel of Windows 8.1 x64 is identical to that of Windows Server 2012 r2, this is very probably the cause of my problem and to the problems the others face. My processor lacks CMPXCHG16b, so this means probably end of the road. Either abandon Windows Server completly, or buy a new CPU. I have AMD Sempron 3000+, hopefully Sempron 3400+ will do the job.

If you look at the “System Requirements and Installation Information for Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview”, there is nothing said about CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303418.aspx

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

If you look at the “System Requirements and Installation Information for Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview”, there is nothing said about CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF.

I know. But, as it is allready very well said, ”Microsoft right does not know what Microsoft left is doing.”. Most likely in their minds nobody would ever want to install WS2012 r2 on such an old CPU, so they did not even mentioned it. So far, this is the best explanation for the instalation issues me and others have regarding installing Windows 6.3 beta. I shall wait to try the isos of Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview, first the 64 bit, then the 32 bit one. If the first gives the same error on instalation, but the second one does not, it would be clear that this is the problem. Until then, all I can say is that is most likely it, but not 100% sure.

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

@hackerman1 wrote:

I know. But, as it is allready very well said, ”Microsoft right does not know what Microsoft left is doing.”. Most likely in their minds nobody would ever want to install WS2012 r2 on such an old CPU, so they did not even mentioned it. So far, this is the best explanation for the instalation issues me and others have regarding installing Windows 6.3 beta. I shall wait to try the isos of Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview, first the 64 bit, then the 32 bit one. If the first gives the same error on instalation, but the second one does not, it would be clear that this is the problem. Until then, all I can say is that is most likely it, but not 100% sure.

I´m no cpu-expert but i did a quick search, aand ccording to cpu-world.com AMD Sempron-64 3000+ released in May 23, 2006 supports CMPXCHG16b and LAHF/SAHF.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Sempron%2064%203000+%20-%20SDA3000IAA3CN%20%28SDA3000CNBOX%29.html

And from wikipedia: “Early AMD64 processors lacked the CMPXCHG16B instruction, which is an extension of the CMPXCHG8B instruction present on most post-80486 processors. Similar to CMPXCHG8B, CMPXCHG16B allows for atomic operations on octal words. This is useful for parallel algorithms that use compare and swap on data larger than the size of a pointer, common in lock-free and wait-free algorithms. Without CMPXCHG16B one must use workarounds, such as a critical section or alternative lock-free approaches.[1]

This also prevents 64-bit Windows from having a user-mode address space larger than 8 terabytes.[37]
                                Early AMD64 and Intel 64 CPUs lacked LAHF and SAHF instructions. AMD introduced the instructions with their Athlon 64, Opteron and Turion 64 revision D processors in March 2005[38][39][40] while Intel introduced the instructions with the Pentium 4 G1 stepping in December 2005.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

Most likely in their minds nobody would ever want to install WS2012 r2 on such an old CPU, so they did not even mentioned it.

Some people install operating systems on old hardware well below system requirements:

“W7 runs on a P2 with 266MHz CPU, 96MB RAM & 4Mb graphic card !”

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-hardware-devices/28053-windows-7-dinosaur.html?highlight=dino 😉 :mrgreen:

Anonymous

As you can see, Coreinfo from Sysinternals shows that it does not support CMPXCHG16b, but the other two are supported. From what I know, Coreinfo marks the features present regardless if they are enabled or not. Maybe I missunderstood this and CMPXCHG16b is still there and has to be enabled somehow, or CPU World is wrong. Or Windows has a nasty bug that prevents it from handling some features from the CPU.
                                    Update: No, it does not say of CPU World that. It says that is has CMPXCHG6B, not CMPXCHG16B.

Anonymous

Instruction set extensions Additional instructions
                                      MMX CLFLUSH
                                      AMD extensions to MMX CMOV
                                      3DNow! CMPXCHG16B
                                      Extensions to 3DNow! CMPXCHG8B
                                      SSE FXSAVE/FXRSTORE
                                      SSE2 RDTSCP
                                      SSE3 SYSCALL/SYSRET
                                      SYSENTER/SYSEXIT”

In fact, i copied “CMPXCHG16B” from your post and then searched (CTRL-F) on the page.

Have you checked the spec. for the CPU ?
                                      What has AMD to say ?

Anonymous

someone with windows server 2012 r2 preview
                                        can test explorer7 on it ?

i tested it on windows 8.1 preview and its not working maybe in this it will work
                                        link:
                                        http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157302-windows-7-explorer-for-windows-8/

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

In fact, i copied “CMPXCHG16B” from your post and then searched (CTRL-F) on the page.

What has AMD to say ?

I do not understand.

On the other hand, it seems they are no CPUs with this feature available for this socket. Pretty much confused.

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

@hackerman1 wrote:

What has AMD to say ?

I do not understand.

On the other hand, it seems they are no CPUs with this feature available for this socket. Pretty much confused.

Really ?
                                            I copied “CMPXCHG16B” from your post here on this forum, then switched to the page on cpuworld.com, and did a search (CTRL-F) on that page.
                                            There i found the spec. i posted above.

Check AMD´s own spec. for the CPU, what do they say ?

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

Really ?
                                              I copied “CMPXCHG16B” from your post here on this forum, then switched to the page on cpuworld.com, and did a search (CTRL-F) on that page.
                                              There i found the spec. i posted above.

Check AMD´s own spec. for the CPU, what do they say ?

All I could find was this
                                              http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=166
                                              and, of course, what says of CPU world.

It seems there are Sempron 64 3000+ with CMPXCHG16B, but not for this socket, 754 (Aida64 says on Slot/socket processor: 1 Socket 754).

There may be still a way to bypass the restriction, I do no know how legit it is, but it is probably technicly possible. I have found on this forum http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/37517-Q-Win-8-bypass-PAE-NX-SSE2-check/page9 that somebody, fairly recently, found a way to install a Windows 8 x86 on a machine with a CPU that it is not supported, a CPU without NX. Microsoft posted a pretty deep restriction in the kernel of Windows x86 to refuse booting even from the instalation DVD if that security feature is absent. On this forum, someone found a workaround, even if it has drawbacks. I do not understand all from there but, from what I read, it seems that a similar workaround for this new issue (On which allready many seem to have, so the discussion on Microsoft Community forums) could have developed. I have allready asked it there.
                                              In my opinion, staying with WS 2012, after WS 2012 r2 will be officialy launched, it is not an option. Most Windows 8 clients will allready be moved to 8.1, and the 6.2 kernel will either abandoned, or pretty much neglected. There is no free upgrade for WS 2012, like it is for Windows 8. I hope they will upgrade at least the kernel for free, through Windows Update, and leave the old interface. I find this easier then keep maintening the 6.2 kernel.

Anonymous

Has anyone noticed or measured any performance differences in R2? I haven’t tried the upgrade (yet) but have tried it’s sister Windows 8.1 preview, and see some rather uneven performance and behavior (there seem to have been some changes made to the compositer).

It’s interesting and typically strange that Microsoft still has Superfetch features and code in the OS, and it still does not work, and they’re still not saying anything about it…

:geek:

Anonymous

@hoak,

the topic of this thread is >>>>” Windows Server 2012 r2 preview ” <<<<

not >>>>” Windows 8.1 preview ” <<<<

stick to the topic…do not go off topic!!!

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

@hoak,

Yes I see that…

@kommunikator wrote:

Very good, that you understand this so clearly…

@kommunikator wrote:

I have not; both Server 2012 and Windows 8.1 employ the same NT 6.2 kernel, and there have been no kernel changes announced…

However 8.1 presents some compositer performance issues that weren’t seen in the 8 build of Windows and I’m wondering if anyone is experiencing this in the R2 build of Server 2012 — I think I’ve made that clear enough…

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

@hoak,

hoak´s post above is on topic.
                                                      Read the first sentence, the question: “Has anyone noticed or measured any performance differences in R2? “
                                                      Then hoak mentioned differences noticed in W8.1, which then means to ask if anyone has seen similar differences in WS2012-R2.

So how can you say “stick to the topic” ???

There is clearly nothing off-topic in that post !

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.