Windows Server 2008 -> Server 2008 R2 Update

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Windows Server 2008 -> Server 2008 R2 Update

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone know how this update will work? If we are running Server 2008, will we have to update to Server 2008 R2 (compared to normal Windows 7)? Will the update be seamless or will some modifications be needed?

Nobody knows yet, I don’t think. Maybe some MSDN subscribers do, but I have been wondering this for a while too friend…. If i find out, i’ll be sure to post here (unless someone beats me to it!)

Decided to repost instead of just doing an EDIT, so your subscription will be updated and the post will be bumped.

R2 is not an update for the current Server 2008, it is a completely new OS. By that I mean, it will not install like a Service Pack would. Those who have already1 bought Windows Server 2008 do NOT get R2 for free, it requires another purchase.

However, you can of course perform an “Upgrade” installation of Server 2008, much like previous Windows versions allowed. But you MUST have the x64 edition of either Server 2003 SP2, Server 2003 SP2 R2, or Windows Server 2008. 32-BIT WILL REQUIRE A FULL INSTALLATION.

For more information on Upgrade paths and other installation notes, see the “Installing the Beta Release of Windows Server 2008 R2” link under Important Beta Documents found at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/R2-Beta.aspx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.