Windows Media Codecs without Desktop Experience

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Windows Media Codecs without Desktop Experience

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,
      Is any way to install Windows Media Codecs on Server 2008 without installing full Desktop Experience feature (and Windows Media Player)?
      I tried to install Windows Media Runtime for N version of Vista, but it refused to install on a “Server OS”.
      The next thing i tried is to manually copy windows media dlls from other install to my system – I got wmv movies working (in Media Player Classic Homecinema), but without sound… 🙁
      I will be glad for any help!

I tried to install Windows Media Format Runtime 11 but it refused to install because of “not enough space” error… :-/

I got Cinepak Codec (which is used e.g. in Half-Life 2 and some other Valve games) working on my system without “Desktop Experience” installed!
      64bit “installer” is included as attachment. Just copy the .dll into SYSWOW64 dir and run the reg file (as Administrator).

You can also try installing VLC player: http://www.videolan.org/

It comes with all the major codecs and after the installation I have never had any need for any codec packs whatsoever. So far it seems to be the case with Server’08 as well, so give it a shot if you encounter any further issues. And besides, it is an outstanding media player on it’s own too =)

Are you trying to actually encode Windows Media Video/Audio…? Or just have decoding support for the latest v9 formats…?

The official Windows Media Codecs depend on Windows Media Player libraries, you need both installed to play them – unless you want to go around hacking your registry and having a “half-installed” (so-to-speak) version of WMP11.

You could either try VLC as Excessum suggested, or try the CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) which is rated as the most unintrusive and most compatible/resource friendly all-in-one solution for popular and not-so-popular media formats.

It is based on FFDShow Tryouts codecs, which *apparently* only has experimental support for Windows Media Video versions 1, 2 and 3 (WMP7, 8 and 9 implementations respectively), but i’ve never had a problem with any WMV when using EVR (Vista hardware accelerated renderer) in Media Player Classic Homecinema.

But it doesn’t support Windows Media 9.1 (which is still not too common, as it’s not supported in Linux or Mac either) or Windows Media ‘Pro’ which is the Lossless format – also not common.

@JonusC wrote:

Are you trying to actually encode Windows Media Video/Audio…? Or just have decoding support for the latest v9 formats…?

The official Windows Media Codecs depend on Windows Media Player libraries, you need both installed to play them – unless you want to go around hacking your registry and having a “half-installed” (so-to-speak) version of WMP11.

You could either try VLC as Excessum suggested, or try the CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) which is rated as the most unintrusive and most compatible/resource friendly all-in-one solution for popular and not-so-popular media formats.

It is based on FFDShow Tryouts codecs, which *apparently* only has experimental support for Windows Media Video versions 1, 2 and 3 (WMP7, 8 and 9 implementations respectively), but i’ve never had a problem with any WMV when using EVR (Vista hardware accelerated renderer) in Media Player Classic Homecinema.

But it doesn’t support Windows Media 9.1 (which is still not too common, as it’s not supported in Linux or Mac either) or Windows Media ‘Pro’ which is the Lossless format – also not common.

I just want to have “wmv” support in Media Player Classic (MPC).
      FFDShow codecs WMV support doesn’t work with MPC (I just got “cannot render the file” error message while trying to play any wmv file)…
      ps. I don’t like VLC, because it’s too much slower than MPC on my machine… :-/

@AsciiWolf wrote:

I just want to have “wmv” support in Media Player Classic (MPC).
      FFDShow codecs WMV support doesn’t work with MPC (I just got “cannot render the file” error message while trying to play any wmv file)…
      ps. I don’t like VLC, because it’s too much slower than MPC on my machine… :-/

I use CCCP, which includes custom versions of FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter and MPlayerC Homecinema. It plays all WMV videos fine, except Windows Media Pro and Speech Codecs – as I said.

Give it a try at http://www.cccp-project.net/ but make sure you install your current FFDShow first otherwise they’ll conflict.

@JonusC wrote:

Give it a try at http://www.cccp-project.net/ but make sure you install your current FFDShow first otherwise they’ll conflict.

I already tried it, without any chance… :-/
      Now, i have latest SVN version of ffdshow, which have experimental WMV9 support. But it doesn’t work too… 🙁
      ps. I found a “howto” here but it doesn’t work too…

@AsciiWolf wrote:

@JonusC wrote:

I already tried it, without any chance… :-/
      Now, i have latest SVN version of ffdshow, which have experimental WMV9 support. But it doesn’t work too… 🙁
      ps. I found a “howto” here but it doesn’t work too…

Hmm, that’s really wierd. Did you actually enable the DirectShow decoder for the four WMV codecs in “FFDShow Video Decoder Configuration”…?

It might be an exotic/uncommon encoding, as FFDShow’s support for WMV is, as you know, incomplete.

There might also be a codec or filter conflict on your system. Check out the CCCP Wiki, and follow the guide for the CCCP Insurgent (which should be followed before installing CCCP anyway).

Apart from that, I guess either FFDShow can’t support the specific format, or maybe there is more to it than this… BTW, you MUST use MPlayerC-HC on Vista and later for WMV – using the old MPlayerC that hasn’t been updated for years does NOT work!

…what’s the error that MPlayerC-HC gives? Just the old simple “Cannot render file”? This would suggest that there’s another problem, such as a filter conflict or MPlayerC-HC configuration mistake, I think, because I have come across WMV’s that FFDShow couldn’t handle, and it resulted in it still playing the file only the video was complete 100% gibberish and rainbow colours and stuff.

@JonusC wrote:

Did you actually enable the DirectShow decoder for the four WMV codecs in “FFDShow Video Decoder Configuration”…?

Yep, but nothing has changed. I’m still getting “cannot render file” message instead of movie in MPC-HC…
      btw. In the “FFDShow Video Decoder Configuration”, I can only select “wmv9” decoder for WMVP and MSS1/2. There’s no “libavcodec” in the roll menu…

WMVP = Image Codec, never ever seen anything that uses this personally.

MSS1/2 = Screen capture codec, it’s not for typical videos. It’s used in things like the Microsoft Screen Recorder tool (whatever it’s called), not for standard movie decoding. That REQUIRES Windows Media Player Codecs and Windows Media Player as it uses it directly, I don’t think anything except Windows Media Player can even play them.

Can I ask what version you have? Mine is “ffdshow tryouts revision 2133”, the same one from CCCP, and it worked for me in the past. Apart from that, I don’t know how to help. Maybe you need a splitter/de-plexer.

Oh i re-read your post…. you already have videos working!!!!! So what’s the problem????? FFDShow Audio Decoder has 100% working support for WMA!!! Enable them and you should be fine! Tip – in the Audio Decoder “Codecs” window, right click and select “Set all stable codecs to libavcodec” or whatever it is (just going off memory there).

@JonusC wrote:

Can I ask what version you have? Mine is “ffdshow tryouts revision 2133”, the same one from CCCP, and it worked for me in the past. Apart from that, I don’t know how to help. Maybe you need a splitter/de-plexer.

Oh i re-read your post…. you already have videos working!!!!! So what’s the problem????? FFDShow Audio Decoder has 100% working support for WMA!!! Enable them and you should be fine! Tip – in the Audio Decoder “Codecs” window, right click and select “Set all stable codecs to libavcodec” or whatever it is (just going off memory there).

I have latest ffdshow tryouts (ffdshow_rev2832_20090328_clsid).
      Yep, I got one (cvid) codec working, but it’s an AVI codec used in some apps/games, not WMV….
      ps. Thanks for the tip, but nothing has changed after setting it… :-/

It says earlier that you got WMV working by transfering/registering DLL’s….? But couldnt get sound working? FFDShow audio decoders work 100% for WMA in videos for me, so im stumped. It probably still needs a transport splitter, which is part of Windows Media Codecs.

Is there a reason WHY you can’t have Desktop Experience installed…? I believe you need Desktop Experience to get DirectX acceleration (DXVA) too, so its kinda…. well, unneccessary to mess around with trying to hack it to play videos….

@JonusC wrote:

Is there a reason WHY you can’t have Desktop Experience installed…?

As I said in other topic: “I really don’t want bloatware like Windows Defender, Live apps, WMP, etc…”

…I hardly think Desktop Experience services is “bloatware”, it’s the optional component of the Server OS to give it Client functionality…. but that’s only my opinion. If you’re so worried about performance issues from this “bloat” myth (i’m assuming you have an older computer), perhaps you should consider using Windows Server 2003 instead?

Well regardless, I’ve suggested everything in my knowledge and i’m sorry to hear you’ve been unsuccessful. Best of luck!

@JonusC wrote:

If you’re so worried about performance issues from this “bloat” myth (i’m assuming you have an older computer)

No, but I really don’t want apps, I’ll never use, in my system… 😉
      That’s the thing I hate on (desktop) Windows and that’s why I choosed Windows 2008 instead of Vista.

Woot! I finally got it working!
      After copying “WMASF.DLL” and “WMVCORE.DLL” to System32 and SysWOW64 and setting ffdshow “WMA 7” and “WMA 8/9” audio decoder to “libavcodec”, wmv movies are playing well in MPC:HC.
      Needed dlls are included as attachment…
      Hope it help someone like me, who like to have minimalistic OS… 😉
      [attachment=0:1ys8mqxw]wm_codecs.7z[/attachment:1ys8mqxw]

@AsciiWolf wrote:

Woot! I finally got it working!
      After copying “WMASF.DLL” and “WMVCORE.DLL” to System32 and SysWOW64 and setting ffdshow “WMA 7” and “WMA 8/9” audio decoder to “libavcodec”, wmv movies are playing well in MPC:HC.
      Needed dlls are included as attachment…
      Hope it help someone like me, who like to have minimalistic OS… 😉

Very nice! Glad you figured it out man! 😎

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.