Windows Media Center

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Wish List Progress Windows Media Center

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Arris

Description
        Use Windows Server 2008 R2 as your home entertainment system in the living room.

Tips
        [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61:kbvm2bt6]Vista Media Center in Server 2008[/localurl:kbvm2bt6]

According to my disassembly in IDA, it checks the tokens.dat file.
        Creating a custom tokens.dat file will be a PITA and will be highly illegal.
        My idea is to NOP the checks and return “LOL YES” every time.

EDIT: It also checks SLGetWindowsInformation (note the lack of DWORD there).
        We need to also pass info to that using the custom SLC.dll, but I’m clueless there.

Anonymous

According to my disassembly in IDA, it checks the tokens.dat file.
          Creating a custom tokens.dat file will be a PITA and will be highly illegal.
          My idea is to NOP the checks and return “LOL YES” every time.

EDIT: It also checks SLGetWindowsInformation (note the lack of DWORD there).
          We need to also pass info to that using the custom SLC.dll, but I’m clueless there.

TVersity 1.7 is what I’m using to share files to PS3. I just watch Band of Brothers on my external hard driver thur TVersity. Work prefect! I tried a lot of upnp servers and none really worked good. Forget Windows Media Center! wmr

Anonymous

TVersity 1.7 is what I’m using to share files to PS3. I just watch Band of Brothers on my external hard driver thur TVersity. Work prefect! I tried a lot of upnp servers and none really worked good. Forget Windows Media Center! wmr

Look, what I found!
            Well, but this howto is probably useless for MCE from Win 7 because of that stupid tokens.dat check… 🙁

Anonymous

Look, what I found!
              Well, but this howto is probably useless for MCE from Win 7 because of that stupid tokens.dat check… 🙁

Is there a compilation on 7MC to 2008r2 efforts tried to date? I’ve got a spare box at home and some free time to get this thing done. If I need to start from scratch, so be it.

Anonymous

Is there a compilation on 7MC to 2008r2 efforts tried to date? I’ve got a spare box at home and some free time to get this thing done. If I need to start from scratch, so be it.

Arris

@changz wrote:

I think a good place to start looking is in the [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61#p953:37tbwm8t]Wishlist – Vista Media Center in Server 2008[/localurl:37tbwm8t] topic and the pages linked from there where they got stuck on a Software Restriction Policy. 😕 Hope you can make some progress in this Wish; it would make a lot of people happy! 😉

Anonymous

@changz wrote:

I think a good place to start looking is in the [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61#p953:37tbwm8t]Wishlist – Vista Media Center in Server 2008[/localurl:37tbwm8t] topic and the pages linked from there where they got stuck on a Software Restriction Policy. 😕 Hope you can make some progress in this Wish; it would make a lot of people happy! 😉

Anonymous
                      Anonymous
                        hackerman1

Hi.

Welcome to the forum.
                          Thank you for the information, however the post on MDL says:
                          “The Work is tested on Windows Home Server 2011 (VHS-2011/ Vail)
                          but I’m sure it will work also on other 2011 servers:
                          Storage Server Essential 2008r2 (SSE2008r2 / Breckenridge)
                          and, possibly on Small Business Server 2011 (SBS 2011 / Aurora).

Likely the Standard 2008r2 Servers will require more work because missing codecs/drivers and so on.”
                          @The Solutor wrote:

It’s done 🙂

The problem does not seam to be solved yet….

And there is no instructions for how to do it in that post,
                          there is a link to another thread which in turn references another post,
                          which contains a confusing text about 2 needed exe-files,
                          with a reference to yet another post about one of the exe-files,
                          and references to a script mentioned somewhere else…

Typical for MDL, there are a lot of useful information over there, the problem is to find it… 😉

ruslanshchur
                            Participant

WMC does work on Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, but Small Business Server 2011 and MultiPoint Server 2011 requires more work just like regular 2008 R2 Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter

Anonymous

Hi.

Welcome to the forum.
                              Thank you for the information, however the post on MDL says:
                              “The Work is tested on Windows Home Server 2011 (VHS-2011/ Vail)
                              but I’m sure it will work also on other 2011 servers:
                              Storage Server Essential 2008r2 (SSE2008r2 / Breckenridge)
                              and, possibly on Small Business Server 2011 (SBS 2011 / Aurora).

Likely the Standard 2008r2 Servers will require more work because missing codecs/drivers and so on.”
                              @The Solutor wrote:

It’s done 🙂

And there is no instructions for how to do it in that post,
                              there is a link to another thread which in turn references another post,
                              which contains a confusing text about 2 needed exe-files,
                              with a reference to yet another post about one of the exe-files,
                              and references to a script mentioned somewhere else…

Typical for MDL, there are a lot of useful information over there, the problem is to find it… 😉

Anonymous

HI

Instructions have yet to be written because time constraints.

Anyway people spent months do get that working, who’s interested can spend five minutes reading the two or three relevant post.

Basically grab the WMC cabs from W7, add them to the WHS ISO, rplace four files, commit the changes, burn the ISO.

Understand how to do it was pretty complicate, but now make your own WMC enabled ISO is deadly simple.

The big part is solved.

We have WMC working on W10, on Enterprise/Education versions, and on 2011 servers (and possibly embedded versions).

I tested the W10 On server 2016 and server 2012r2.

Wmc starts but crashes during the initial setup.

Surely the restricted codecs must be installed and possibly something else about the BDA drivers wold be also needed.

I don’t think would be rocket science given we have an easy way to export and import the basic packages.

Anonymous

HI

Instructions have yet to be written because time constraints.

Anyway people spent months do get that working, who’s interested can spend five minutes reading the two or three relevant post.

Basically grab the WMC cabs from W7, add them to the WHS ISO, rplace four files, commit the changes, burn the ISO.

Understand how to do it was pretty complicate, but now make your own WMC enabled ISO is deadly simple.

The big part is solved.

We have WMC working on W10, on Enterprise/Education versions, and on 2011 servers (and possibly embedded versions).

I tested the W10 On server 2016 and server 2012r2.

Wmc starts but crashes during the initial setup.

Surely the restricted codecs must be installed and possibly something else about the BDA drivers wold be also needed.

I don’t think would be rocket science given we have an easy way to export and import the basic packages.

Anonymous

For the record the post was updated with minitutorials, links and this 😉

Anonymous

For the record the post was updated with minitutorials, links and this 😉

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.