Windows Live Messenger – running on R2

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Applications Compatibility Windows Live Messenger – running on R2

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Yep, it’s running fine here. I just installed it using the default installer (wlsetup-custom.exe) which can be downloaded from http://get.live.com/. You can also install it without using that live-products installer by directly downloading the Windows Live Messenger msi from download.microsoft.com. If installing doesn’t work for some reason, right click the installer (Messenger.msi / wlsetup-custom.exe) and choose Troubleshoot compatibility whereafter you follow the wizard.

After installing I only had one issue: it refused to minimize to the system tray. To solve this run the application (msnmsgr.exe) in compatibility mode Windows Vista SP2.

Good luck!

Arris

@Arris wrote:

Yep, it’s running fine here. I just installed it using the default installer (wlsetup-custom.exe) which can be downloaded from http://get.live.com/. You can also install it without using that live-products installer by directly downloading the Windows Live Messenger msi from download.microsoft.com. If installing doesn’t work for some reason, right click the installer (Messenger.msi / wlsetup-custom.exe) and choose Troubleshoot compatibility whereafter you follow the wizard.

After installing I only had one issue: it refused to minimize to the system tray. To solve this run the application (msnmsgr.exe) in compatibility mode Windows Vista SP2.

Good luck!

Arris

Even though this topic is about a week old, I just wanted to state that the reason WLM doesn’t go to the system tray is because Windows 7 has it set like that so R2 would have it like that, too. You have to use the same fix Arris said in Windows 7 I’ve heard.

Hello, new here 🙂

I got WLM installed along with the rest of Windows Live Essentials. My problem is that I can’t chat with anyone in WLM :/, shows me this:
      “The following message could not be delivered to all recipients”.

Firewall issue?

Thanks in advance,
      Robert 🙂

Hello –

Has anyone successfully installed and run Windows Live Messenger on W2K8 R2?

When I launch the app, nothing happens… I’m using the latest version.

I got Live Messenger to work on W2K8 SP1, then when I installed SP2 and it broke…

The in-place upgrade to W2K8 R2 worked, but Live Messenger is still broken.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.