Windows Game Explorer – Automatic Installer (18 Nov 2008)

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Games Compatibility Windows Game Explorer – Automatic Installer (18 Nov 2008)

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author

Windows Game Explorer for Windows Server 2008 (x86 & x64).

Run “gameexplorer_setup.exe” to install “Windows Game Explorer” on your Windows Server 2008 Box.

This program installs “Windows Game Explorer” version “6.0.6001.18000” from Windows Vista Ultimate (Service Pack 1).

*NOTE: Only use this installer under Windows Vista and/or Windows Server 2008 (Service Pack 1), you can NOT (should NOT) install this version of “Windows Game Explorer” under Windows 2000, Windows XP, ect.

CommandLine Switches:
      /s – Silent Installation.
      /updatereg – Installer will ONLY update the registry of currently logged on user, use this feature if you have previously installed WGE and only want to add an additional user (for WGE) to the system registry.
      *NOTE: You can optionally add a list of users as a parameter following “/updatereg” for example:

gameexplorer_setup.exe /updatereg “mydomainuser”
      OR
      gameexplorer_setup.exe /updatereg “domain.comuserone;domain.comusertwo”

Use ; to separate the users.
      /forcerestart – Forces a restart of the computer ONLY when using “/s” silent installation.
      /nomenuitem – Disables the installer adding the “Games” item to your start menu (This item is here by default under Windows Vista). *NOTE: Menu item will NOT be added when using “/updatereg”.

Credits:
      Windows Game Explorer : Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
      Original Credits : nixx42 & nitec.
      Automated Installer : sYk0.

Enjoy,
      sYk0.

*NOTE: I have only tested this under Windows Server 2008 64 bit, please add comments if you have sucsessfully (or not) installed it under Windows Server 2008 32 bit (x86).

Update #1 (13 Nov 2008):
      Fixed issue with file(s) not installing correctly into “WindowsSystem32” on Windows Server 2008 x64.
      Fixed issue with windows registry when installer was run from a Standard Account using Administrator privileges.
      Added a new commandline switch /forcerestart (see above for more info “CommandLine Switches:”).
      Update #2 (13 Nov 2008):
      Fixed memory leak towards the end of installer…

Update #3 (18 Nov 2008):
      Fixed memory leak when using “/updatereg” under a standard user account…
      Added a new commandline switch /nomenuitem (see above for more info “CommandLine Switches:”).
      Updated commandline switch /updatereg (see above for more info “CommandLine Switches:”).
      Installer now adds “Games” item to the start menu by default (to disable this feature use the commandline switch “/nomenuitem”).

As I said in the PM it doesn’t seem to be working for me on 64-bit (Enterprise), I still cant add anything to the games explorer and nothing is being added (I tried installing farcry 2). I’ve rebooted and tried running the installer again with no luck. 🙁

Sorry for the delay folks…
      Just have to sort out two minor bugs installing under (1) 64 bit enviroment and (2) standard user accounts…

This should be sorted out by the end of the day (depending on your time zone, mine is CET +2 hours)…

Updated… see end of first post…

PS: I have tested the installer under a clean installation of Windows Server 2008 x64, it appears to work correctly now…
      Please post here if you are having any problems or have successfully installed it under Windows Server 2008 x64 and/or x86

The installer crashes after copying files, and when I select the option the close the installer it comes up with the error “Exception EAccessViolation in module gameexplorer_setup.exe at 00008DE4. Access Violation at address 00408DE4 in module ‘gameexplorer_setup.exe’ Read of address 00000000.”

I rebooted and installed Far Cry 2 and World in Conflict but it didn’t seem to add anything into the Games Explorer, nor the registry.

Arris

Good work, but I also have the same problem steve- has. Here are a screenshot and logs of the Process Monitor log till the crash. Looks like it keeps searching for some version of the winsta.dll file it can’t find?

More info
        gameexplorer_setup.jpg
        gameexplorer_setup_logs.rar

Hope you can solve it using this information! 🙂

Updated… again… Please confirm that it’s working… 😉

Third times the charm! No errors during the installation, after a reboot I reinstalled Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3, both of which had been added automatically! 😀

Thanks for this, I’m sure it wasn’t an easy task to accomplish!

Arris

Fantastic installer! Everything works flawlessly now! 😀 To access the Game Explorer, I just type Games in the location bar of a Windows Explorer window and I see all the games I have installed! 🙂 Also added a link to this topic to the Games and Entertainment page in the Manual so everybody can find it. 😉

Thank you, works great, installed without a hitch on x64 as admin, games show up in folder as I play them.

Only problem I’m having is registering it as a user, I get the same error as steve and arris did earlier.

I created a shortcut and added /updatereg in target box and then I run as administrator.

Is this the correct procedure or am I doing something wrong?

@Arris wrote:

Fantastic installer! Everything works flawlessly now! 😀 To access the Game Explorer, I just type Games in the location bar of a Windows Explorer window and I see all the games I have installed! 🙂 Also added a link to this topic to the Games and Entertainment page in the Manual so everybody can find it. 😉

You could also add it to your start menu (If you are using the new style Start Menu)… 😉
          1. Click the Start/Windows button.
          2. Right Click on an empty spot, select “Properties”.
          3. Next to “Start Menu”, Click on “Customize”, scroll down until you find “Games” and select the option of how you would like it displayed.

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gameexplorercs1.png

Seems i fixed one bug and created another… 😛
          i’ll fix it when i get a chance (sorry i can’t do it at the moment, your best bet is Sunday)…
          I’ll also add an option to add the “Games” shortcut to the start menu…

@overman wrote:

Thank you, works great, installed without a hitch on x64 as admin, games show up in folder as I play them.

Only problem I’m having is registering it as a user, I get the same error as steve and arris did earlier.

I created a shortcut and added /updatereg in target box and then I run as administrator.

Is this the correct procedure or am I doing something wrong?

Arris

@sYk0 wrote:

You could also add it to your start menu (If you are using the new style Start Menu)… 😉
            1. Click the Start/Windows button.
            2. Right Click on an empty spot, select “Properties”.
            3. Next to “Start Menu”, Click on “Customize”, scroll down until you find “Games” and select the option of how you would like it displayed.

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gameexplorercs1.png

Didn’t know that trick! Thanks for your good explanation! 🙂

Ok I got the registry updated for the user account by just logging on as administrator and adding the user to the admin group, then logging on as the user and running the program with the /updatereg switch, worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the work you put in this, great site too.

Hi there!
            I just launched the gameexplorer_setup.
            Everything seems right. But:
            The Vista games are not included in this setup or should they?
            Typing games into the adressbar in my explorer works just fine, but the shown folder is empty.
            If this is right, does anyone know how to get the Vista-Games? I’ve only got some Vista Recovery CD, so this won’t work I think…

But a really big thanks for this great program and the work you out into it!

@Revoluzifer wrote:

Hi there!
            Typing games into the adressbar in my explorer works just fine, but the shown folder is empty.
            If this is right, does anyone know how to get the Vista-Games? I’ve only got some Vista Recovery CD, so this won’t work I think…

It doesn’t install the games from Vista, only the Games Explorer.

Correct, this only installs the Game Explorer and NOT the Microsoft games…
            @steve- wrote:

@Revoluzifer wrote:

Hi there!

It doesn’t install the games from Vista, only the Games Explorer.

Updated installer… see first post for more info… 😉

Thank you so much, works fine here 😉

By the way, do i have to reinstall all the games if i want them to appear in the list or is there another (easy) way?

I have managed to take the vista games from the games folder in vista x64 and place it in the same place on server 2008 x64, it then requests a XInpu9_0_1.dll file which I also got from vista, but the gmaes do not boot. I got them so they are viewable from the games explorer on Server 2008 x64 using a reg entry I think its in the GameUX key in vista. I think other files are missing in order to play them.

Arris

hey demon148, I don’t think that’s the problem. Some time ago I attached a debugger to the Vista games and they all stopped after doing I believe the SLGetWindowsInformationDWORD call. I’m not experienced in hooking these calls and so forth, but I guess when that call returns the right value, you ‘ll have the games working… Please correct me if I am wrong.

Arris

Arris, I know nothing about debugging or programming, I’m only doing what I know, I know that Server 2008 and Vista are similar, I’m only working on the know that if apps like Sidebar etc are to work so must games, when I place the games in Server 2008 it gives me an error for the Xinput file, when I place the file in system32 and syswow64 folder, the error dissapears but the games dont load.

Hi all! Please tell me how I can change language in the “Windows Game Explorer”. What files I must edit?

Arris

To change the language of the Game Explorer I think you have to place a gameux.dll.mui with the language you want in the %windir%system32[language code]. You probably can get the gameux.dll.mui from the %windir%system32[language code] folder of a Vista system or extract it using 7-Zip from a Vista language pack which can be found via a Google Search. A list of all Language Codes is available at MSDN: Language Codes.

I wanted to try this, but Avira told me that the zip file attached to the first post contains a trojan 🙁

False positive?

Arris

Yep, must be a false positive. I’m using this patch since it’s available and if I take a look with Sysinternals Autoruns and with Sysinternals RootkitRevealer, I don’t see anything suspicious! Probably the packer which is used, is also used to pack some trojan executables.

Perhaps I may be blind, sorry. But where can I download the Software?

Arris

@psuch wrote:

First post at the first page, in the Attachment! 😉

Err, am I the only one who cannot download attachment from first post? For some reason download always stops at 229kB…

@Arris wrote:

@psuch wrote:

First post at the first page, in the Attachment! 😉

The correct answer is: I am blind 😀 Thanks!

@ vidakk: I can download the whole archive…

Thank you!!!!

Arris

@vidakk wrote:

Err, am I the only one who cannot download attachment from first post? For some reason download always stops at 229kB…

Here you go, I uploaded it to Rapidshare as a mirror. Hope that solves your downloadproblem! 🙂

Got it. Thanks!

Not the first time my internet connection behaves like this…

I tried both versions, neither WinRAR oder 7Zip were able to extract the “gameexplorer_setup.exe” from archive … seems broken.
                      can anyone provide me a working Version in ZIP or RAR ?

okay, Poblem found, both versions contains a trojan in the EXE File … can anyone provide a clean version for me pls ?

gameexplorer_setup.exe >>> ‘TR/Crypt.FKM.Gen’ [trojan]

Arris

@Nyana wrote:

okay, Poblem found, both versions contains a trojan in the EXE File

Read this post and my reply, disable your AntiVirus and try again! 😉

okay, seems to work. tnx for info.

Does anyone know if this will work with SP2?

@steve- wrote:

Does anyone know if this will work with SP2?

Working perfectly with the 0313 escrow build, should work with RTM as well.

In SP 2 there is a new gameux.dll with the number …..18005. So it would be very nice to get a new installer … 😀

New installer is needed. Probably with new workaround? As the current installers and workarounds aren’t working in Server 2008 R2. I’m currently running the Enterprise edition. The Games button appears in the start menu, but nothing happen when you click it…

You are looking the the wrong forum – try the Windows Server 2008 R2 Wish List forum, there is a topic there.

Anonymous

I am also using Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and while the Games button may not work, this installer does resolve all the issues I was having with Bioshock saying that it could not initialize the Games Explorer – which is all I really care about ^_^. Thank you very very much!

I can’t use it,looks like it is corrupt 🙁

Viewing 43 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.