Windows Embedded Standard 7

Forums General General Discussion Windows Embedded Standard 7

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Arris

Some time ago the final version of Windows Embedded 7 has been released. The Evaluation Edition can be downloaded via this page.

I’ve tested some installation configurations in order to see the features in comparison to the memory- and disk-usage. A VMWare machine has been configured with the following specifications:
        CPU: Dual Core Processor
        Memory: 1GB
        Harddisk: 40GB SCSI

In all cases:

• Unchecked the “Resolve optional dependencies” checkbox and checked the “Include applicable updates” checkbox.
        • Noted memory 5 minutes after boot

Testcases:

1) Only strictly required components

> Checked:

• Nothing: Directly clicked “Resolve Dependencies”
          [Windows Boot Environment] – [Windows Embedded Standard Startup Screens] – [Windows Explorer Shell] – [Standard Windows USB Stack]

> Installation size:

• Estimated: 743MB -> In fact: 882MB
        • Memory: ???MB

> Missing:

• Networking Support: Does get ip-address, ping and view shares via “net view”, but not in Windows Explorer
        • Task Manager
        • acledit.dll: Couldn’t start Sysinternals Process Explorer

> Optionally missing:

• Properties of “My Computer”
        • Aero
        • Microsoft Management Console (mmc)
        • Commandline tools: shutdown
        • Control Panel: User Accounts
        • Windows Update
        • Multiple Users Support

2) Strictly required + some previously missing components

> Checked:

• NetworkingBaseNetworking Base (NETBIOS, WINS, TCP/IP, DNS, WinSock, …)
        • DiagnosticsUser (includes Task Manager)
        • Clicked “Resolve Dependencies” -> Same options as first time

> Installation size:

• Harddisk: Estimated: 764MB -> In fact: 852MB
        • Memory: 190MB

> Works now:

• Task Manager
        • Sysinternals Process Explorer

> Missing:

• Optionally missing from test 1
        • Desktop Screen Resolution in context menu/Control Panel
        • Networking Support: Still can’t view shares in Windows Explorer

3) Strictly required + some more

> Checked:

• DiagnosticsUser
        • ManagementSystem ManagementMicrosoft Management Console (MMC)
        • NetworkingBaseNetworking Foundation

> Installation size:

• Harddisk: Estimated: 791MB -> In fact: 886MB
        • Memory: 228MB

> Works now:

• Task Manager
        • Sysinternals Process Explorer
        • MMC (At least it starts, for example doesn’t show services in services.msc: MMC could not create snap-in)
        • Network Location + Networking icon: Had to select network location, but get errors after selecting one and defaults to “Public Network”.

> Missing:

• Same components as test 2

4) Trying to get networking working

> Checked:

• DiagnosticsUser
        • ManagementSystem ManagementMicrosoft Management Console (MMC)
        • ManagementSystem ManagementSystem Management Administrative Tools
        • NetworkingBaseNetworking Foundation
        • NetworkingNetwork and Sharing Center

> Installation size:

• Harddisk: Estimated: 815MB -> In fact: 913MB
        • Memory: 266MB

> Works now:

• Everything from Test 3 +
        • Network Location Selection is succesfull + can create homegroup
        • Network and Sharing Center
        • Accessing network paths!

> Missing:

• Same components as test 3 except Networking Features

Let’s test and exchange some configurations in order to get the best possible ratio between performance and features! :geek:

hey nice testing

but i can say that 64bit is very buggy
        my 32bit answer file is added very stable

Would this install to an android tablet or ipad or something? has anyone gotten it working on such devices?

no its based on windows 7

I know it is. I just want to know if you can install it on such devices.

if u have drivers for those that will work with win7 then its possible to make it work

Drivers-schmivers. The bigger problem is the CPU architecture – the iPad uses an ARM processor while Windows Embedded 7 is only available for the x86 and x64 architectures. If you really want to run Windows on any iGadget, I think your best bet might be Windows CE.

Windows CE isn’t all that great. It powers my Magellan brand GPS and it crashes all the time.

I didn’t say it was great. It is, after all, 13 years old now. My point was that it’s (to the best of my knowledge, at least) the last version of Windows Embedded to run on ARM processors (edit: excepting Windows Mobile, of course).

By the way, a quick search shows a few ways to turn an iPad into a thin client connecting to, and controlling, a remote installation of Windows 7. It’s not exactly what you’re asking for since you’re not actually installing Windows on the iPad, but they might be of interest to you nonetheless:
        http://www.splashtopremote.com
        http://www.citrix.com/iPad

Yes, but it depends on having network access 24/7. I’d like a local solution. * sigh *

Then I guess you’re out of luck. As far as the iPad is concerned, at least. Android can run on the x86 architecture, so if you can find a tablet with an x86 CPU, it might be able to run WE7.

Going over the list of current and future Android tablets, most use a Snapdragon, Rockchip, Tegra or other ARM-based CPU, but there’s at least one that’s sporting an Intel Atom. Generally, though, x86 CPUs are currently too energy-inefficient to really become a viable option in the tablet/MID market.

Well then MS needs to make a win7 or win8 build for those devices then. Windows mobile 7 is a joke.

@pondo wrote:

Well then MS needs to make a win7 or win8 build for those devices then. Windows mobile 7 is a joke.

you have no idea…

I only wish they would have taken WM6/6.1/6.5/6.5.x and used the updated WinCE 6 core instead of going with “WP7” for the whole thing… its a mirror example of no DirectX 10-11 support for XP… (WM6.5/1 for life! fuck the ugly looking UI for WP7)

Hello,
        Can anyone successfully extract the Standard_7_64bit.part1.exe (from this link) after downloading (all parts, of course) it?
        I always get an “Bad CRC” error when I try to extract it. I also tried to re-download it and extract it using 7-zip and WinRar, but no dice… 🙁

i downloaded long ago didnt had any problem

got mine from MSDN, so dont know…

but I gotta say, this sounds all kinds of sexy for a SERVER setup… I mean only put what is necessary on the system, super small, super tiny blueprint!

just need the proper network and framework constructs and you got yourself an almost comparable to linux (size) server!

(I host my TeamSpeak3 server, my various Source engine servers, including TF2/CS:S/L4D, some EnB EMU server, and some WoW private server, if I can get this to work and ditch my S2k8R2… SWEET!)

@aviv00 wrote:

i downloaded long ago didnt had any problem

@FireStorm wrote:

got mine from MSDN, so dont know…

Could you guys upload the x64 Runtime ISO somewhere and give me a link to it? Please… 🙁

Arris

@AsciiWolf wrote:

I always get an “Bad CRC” error when I try to extract it. I also tried to re-download it and extract it using 7-zip and WinRar, but no dice… 🙁

I downloaded all the x64 files from the link you provided, and indeed, if you try to unpack the exe using 7-zip (as I always do) it fails with a crc-checksum error. However, if you just run the .part1.exe and extract it, it extracts without any errors. Verifying the sha1-checksum (e35b9a1b935d87df49ebd8f6bab801ed205f2583) of the extracted file Standard_7_64bit.iso, it turns out that it has been extracted without any problems! I agree, it is strange, but apparently it is the solution. 😛

Here are the direct download links again, including the sha1-hashes for each file individually to check whether each file has been downloaded without any errors.

Download

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/D/3/2D331919-BC79-4A68-B257-E9B5FBA10D09/Standard_7_64bit/Standard_7_64bit.part1.exe
          http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/D/3/2D331919-BC79-4A68-B257-E9B5FBA10D09/Standard_7_64bit/Standard_7_64bit.part2.rar
          http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/D/3/2D331919-BC79-4A68-B257-E9B5FBA10D09/Standard_7_64bit/Standard_7_64bit.part3.rar
          http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/D/3/2D331919-BC79-4A68-B257-E9B5FBA10D09/Standard_7_64bit/Standard_7_64bit.part4.rar
          http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/D/3/2D331919-BC79-4A68-B257-E9B5FBA10D09/Standard_7_64bit/Standard_7_64bit.part5.rar
          http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/D/3/2D331919-BC79-4A68-B257-E9B5FBA10D09/Standard_7_64bit/Standard_7_64bit.part6.rar
          http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/D/3/2D331919-BC79-4A68-B257-E9B5FBA10D09/Standard_7_64bit/Standard_7_64bit.part7.rar

Sha1 Checksums

8c0c42be3a06d93446ea27314e65664282d5ccc4 *Standard_7_64bit.part1.exe
          814f39737ef107c038e5d9048b67ab6d476fbdc7 *Standard_7_64bit.part2.rar
          a6a110c03c279d82b2d1694ee13ee74dd22d55d0 *Standard_7_64bit.part3.rar
          b9b45611e78fa255a7646f3ee362db864ab10091 *Standard_7_64bit.part4.rar
          c7dde4fb4980fa4d518b141d353ed493f42f5626 *Standard_7_64bit.part5.rar
          17082f7d21228651e55248792a0c399cd92e4370 *Standard_7_64bit.part6.rar
          9bb68f7250403054f4da97b625ca4e70d8ca22a3 *Standard_7_64bit.part7.rar

IIRC, if you are using 7Zip you must do it on “part1″…

I grab StargateUniverse since its airing, when I used to try to extract it from any other RAR then 0/1/named it threw the corrupt message (sometimes depending on archive type, rar 7z zip)

cheers

Arris

@FireStorm wrote:

IIRC, if you are using 7Zip you must do it on “part1″…

That’s right, I also did that with these files, but during the extraction when switching to .part2.rar it stops with error CRC failed in ‘Standard_7_64.iso’. File is broken.

If possible make sure the files you are extracting from are correct by checking the checksums against the original if available, and otherwise check if the sizes (in bytes) are equal if they have been split up like this one. The .exe might be a little larger because of is extraction logic within the archive.

I have extracted many splitted files using various applications in my life before, but never ran into anything like this where just following the instructions at the download page solves the problem:

Download the .exe and .rar files for each DVD image into its own folder and run the .exe file in that folder to reconstitute the .ISO file.

Hm, that’s strange…
            I also get “crc error” if I try to extract it using original exe.
            I’ll try to redownload it. Thank you guys for your help!

Arris

@AsciiWolf wrote:

Hm, that’s strange…

Have you checked every file against the sha1-checksums I provided?

@Arris wrote:

@AsciiWolf wrote:

Hm, that’s strange…

Have you checked every file against the sha1-checksums I provided?

I just checked the files using your checksums and found out that parts 4, 5 and 6 are bad.
              So I re-downloaded these parts.
              Problem fixed, thank you Arris!

Arris

@AsciiWolf wrote:

I just checked the files using your checksums and found out that parts 4, 5 and 6 are bad.
                So I re-downloaded these parts.
                Problem fixed, thank you Arris!

Good to hear that! I’m glad I could help 🙂

btw. Did you guys notice that MS has added Windows Embedded Standard 7 to the DreamSpark?
                The bad news is that they probably forgot to add the cd-key so it’s a trial version (same as you can download directly from MS site). 🙁

@AsciiWolf wrote:

btw. Did you guys notice that MS has added Windows Embedded Standard 7 to the DreamSpark?
                The bad news is that they probably forgot to add the cd-key so it’s a trial version (same as you can download directly from MS site). 🙁

If you need the x86/x64 Runtimes and x86 Toolkit ISO’s, let me know I have them.

Regards, 😉

N

@AsciiWolf wrote:

I don’t see it there. Did they take it down?

@Zilog8 wrote:

I don’t see it there. Did they take it down?

Yep. They take it down because of the missing cd-keys.
                They mentioned they’ll add it again soon along with the cd-keys but they didn’t add it yet. 😕

Its back up now, with a key.

@Fullmetal99012 wrote:

Its back up now, with a key.

Yes, but that key is a trial key. 🙁

Viewing 29 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.