Windows Activation – Windows could not be activated

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Windows Activation – Windows could not be activated

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed.
      I have looked through the forum posts already but was unable to find the same issue.
      I’m quite new to Windows Server class OS’s yet I’m very familiar with day to day PC, Mac, Linux and UNIX platforms.
      This is also my first post to this forum.

I installed Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x86 (KRMSVOL_EN_DVD) three days ago and I’ve received, today, a pop-up message that states:

Windows Activation
      Windows could not be activated
      Key management services (KMS) host could not be located in domain name
      system (DNS), please have your system administrator verify that a KMS is
      published correctly in DNS. Learn more online
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929826/

Error:
      0x8007232b
      Description
      DNS name does not exist.

When checking the system properties the Windows activation (located at the bottom of the window) notes: 57 day(s) to activate. Activate Windows now.

In reading the Microsoft Help & Support article it states:

RESOLUTION
      To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.

Method 1: Set up a KMS server
      Configure a computer on the network to host the KMS software. Then, publish the Domain Name System (DNS) settings. For infomation about how to set up a KMS server and for instructions about how to publish the DNS addresses, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9893F83E-C8A5-4475-B025-66C6B38B46E3&displaylang=en

Method 2: Use a Multiple Activation Key
      Change the product key to a Multiple Activation Key (MAK). To do this, open an elevated command prompt, and then type the following command:
      slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
      Notexxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx represents your MAK product key.

What I’m unable to determine is:

1. Is this just a notification which I can ignore and press the Close button and I still have 57 days until I perform my first rearm to extend the activation another 60 days?

2. Do I have to configure KMS or update a product key to continue to use Windows Server 2008 during the “trial” period?

Thank you in advance for any guidance on this matter.

ur server ver is with volume activation not oem activation

Yes volume activation. My intentions are to try it first for 240 days to see if it’s stable enough for production. I figured any release would allow me this option, no?

I am wondering if I do nothing with the pop message does anyone know if I reboot will I have to reinstall the OS again or can I proceed to use this for the allocated time of (3) 60 day increments?

Arris

1. Is this just a notification which I can ignore and press the Close button and I still have 57 days until I perform my first rearm to extend the activation another 60 days?

It’s just a notification. If the 60 days have been almost expired, you ‘ll need to execute the slmgr.vbs -rearm command to get your 60 days back. This rearm trick can be done 3 times.

2. Do I have to configure KMS or update a product key to continue to use Windows Server 2008 during the “trial” period?

Nope, as long as you can use the trial period of 240 days you don’t have to enter a productkey. As far as I know the only difference between a trial version and a full version is that in the full version you don’t get the notifications about the number of days you have remain.

@Arris wrote:

It’s just a notification. If the 60 days have been almost expired, you ‘ll need to execute the slmgr.vbs -rearm command to get your 60 days back. This rearm trick can be done 3 times.

what do you have to do if ur 60 days has expired? (i haven’t used this box for a while obviously…) as soon as i log in it comes up with the activate now thing, and if i don’t enter a code or purchase a code it just logs me back out… help?

Arris

I don’t have a (virtual) machine to test it, but maybe you can press ctrl+shift+esc while you see the “activate now thing”, click New Task (Run…) in the File menu, enter slmgr.vbs -rearm, wait till you see the message that the command completed successfully and restart your pc.

An other solution might be to boot in Safe Mode (press repeatedly F8 before Windows starts) and do the trick in Safe Mode.

I can’t think of an other solution right now, maybe I will think of one later, but first try these two methods! 😉

Arris

@Arris wrote:

I don’t have a (virtual) machine to test it, but maybe you can press ctrl+shift+esc while you see the “activate now thing”, click New Task (Run…) in the File menu, enter slmgr.vbs -rearm, wait till you see the message that the command completed successfully and restart your pc.

An other solution might be to boot in Safe Mode (press repeatedly F8 before Windows starts) and do the trick in Safe Mode.

I can’t think of an other solution right now, maybe I will think of one later, but first try these two methods! 😉

Arris

ctrl+shift+esc doesn’t work from within the activate now screen, nor does ctrl+alt+del…

i can get into safemode but when i try and run the trick it throws a permission error even tho i’m logged in as admin…

script: c:windowssystem32slmgr.vbs
          line: 1634
          char: 5
          error: permission denied
          code: 800A0046
          source: microsoft VBScript runtime error

anyone got any ideas? i’d really like to keep using win2008wks

Arris

Maybe the following trick that works for Vista will also work for Windows Server 2008:
            Softpedia: Hack Windows Vista in Reduced Functionality Mode

Hope this will solve your rearm problem.

@Arris wrote:

Maybe the following trick that works for Vista will also work for Windows Server 2008:
            Softpedia: Hack Windows Vista in Reduced Functionality Mode

Hope this will solve your rearm problem.

awesome, that worked, thanks heaps!!

@stumped wrote:

anyone got any ideas? i’d really like to keep using win2008wks

Try this 🙂

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=569

For anyone else who encounters this problem and has a legitimate license that should not be expiring, there is a simpler and better solution.

1. Find and write down your windows product key.
            2. Click Start >>> Control Panel >>> System
            3. Click the “Change Product Key” link at the bottom of the form.
            4. At the dialog that is displayed re-enter your windows product key, then click OK/Activate.

Rather than trying to use the Key server, the normal activation process will be followed, and your license will be activated as expected. Also, I’m not completely sure, but I believe the same work around can be applied to volume Vista licenses that hit this issue as well.

Cheers.

-jfc

Viewing 11 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.