Windows 8 coming in 2011-2012??

Forums General General Discussion Windows 8 coming in 2011-2012??

Viewing 72 reply threads
  • Author

This was very expected of MS to do this. I just had this gut feeling. http://windows8news.com/ seems to know alot about it and have tons of speculations on this new OS.

And there is a rumor that it would have 128bit support….. people haven’t even adopted 64 bit yet in the mainstream. This is strange.

What are your thoughts everyone on this news item? I would love to know.

@RemixedCat wrote:

And there is a rumor that it would have 128bit support….. people haven’t even adopted 64 bit yet in the mainstream. This is strange.

Notice they talk about IA-128. That refers to Intel’s Itanium architecture, and the last consumer Windows to have Itanium support was XP. So even if IA-128 existed (which it doesn’t, btw), it would be very unlikely to be supported in Windows 8. If and when the consumer Windows gets 128-bit support, it’ll either be x86-128 (an extension to the x86 architecture, like the current x86-64 which is what most people mean when talking about 64-bit) or a totally new architecture.

128-bit speculations aside, I don’t see anything noteworthy on that site. Windows 8 will have new networking features? Really? Didn’t see that one coming. I mean, it’s not like every single Windows version before it has had improved networking over its predecessor or anything. Oh wait… 😛 The concept video, while tasty, was made by an independent design team and has very little to do with Windows 8.

Anonymous

@RemixedCat wrote:

Notice they talk about IA-128. That refers to Intel’s Itanium architecture, and the last consumer Windows to have Itanium support was XP. So even if IA-128 existed (which it doesn’t, btw), it would be very unlikely to be supported in Windows 8. If and when the consumer Windows gets 128-bit support, it’ll either be x86-128 (an extension to the x86 architecture, like the current x86-64 which is what most people mean when talking about 64-bit) or a totally new architecture.

128-bit speculations aside, I don’t see anything noteworthy on that site. Windows 8 will have new networking features? Really? Didn’t see that one coming. I mean, it’s not like every single Windows version before it has had improved networking over its predecessor or anything. Oh wait… 😛 The concept video, while tasty, was made by an independent design team and has very little to do with Windows 8.

skip windows 8 and go straight for midori! That’s what we need. the NT witch means New Technology BTW when it is in fact really really old. We NEED to change computing becuase not much has changed. We are still stuck at the 2.x GHz average and graphics cards are the only things that are changing much and even then directX11 is not much different other then hardware tessellation witch could be even more stressful.

We need real changes in OSes and not more tacked on “features” Because it is not worth it to consumers to buy a new version of windows every 2 years. We really need a reason to go to something new. Just like my companies decision to stay with R1 becuase they felt it was not worth it too much to go to R2 for what they are using it for. They feel its not worth the upgrade prices to replace over 200 machines that use it.

Anonymous

skip windows 8 and go straight for midori! That’s what we need. the NT witch means New Technology BTW when it is in fact really really old. We NEED to change computing becuase not much has changed. We are still stuck at the 2.x GHz average and graphics cards are the only things that are changing much and even then directX11 is not much different other then hardware tessellation witch could be even more stressful.

We need real changes in OSes and not more tacked on “features” Because it is not worth it to consumers to buy a new version of windows every 2 years. We really need a reason to go to something new. Just like my companies decision to stay with R1 becuase they felt it was not worth it too much to go to R2 for what they are using it for. They feel its not worth the upgrade prices to replace over 200 machines that use it.

We will start to hear more about it towards 2012…but I would be surprised if it comes out that early.

128bit support would make sense if the server versions and consumer versions are based on the same core, as with R2 and 7.

RC,

what the hell does stuck at the 2GHz average mean? We exceeded that years ago, and matured enough to know ‘hertz is not the most important thing when it comes to performance.

Anonymous

We will start to hear more about it towards 2012…but I would be surprised if it comes out that early.

128bit support would make sense if the server versions and consumer versions are based on the same core, as with R2 and 7.

RC,

what the hell does stuck at the 2GHz average mean? We exceeded that years ago, and matured enough to know ‘hertz is not the most important thing when it comes to performance.

I meant that the average PC is STILL 2.x GHz. the average should be 8Ghz by now since I had a 2.2GHz(*) athlon like 6 years ago! I got a 2.2GHz Phenom x4!

The world of computing tech has slowed down so much!

I notice that intel has 88 core processors that they made like 3 years ago, but where the hell are they!? We see this awesome tech at shows and stuff but we never see it and it makes me mad. I see all this awesome tech like holographic laptop displays, smart phones more powerful then the average computer, but yet it never comes. These companies just want to sit on the old technology and milk it for all its worth and continue to milk it till the cow runs out, then they finally release the new tech.

Stop regressing companies….. we want our quantum computers yesterday!

(*)->this was the average speed of processors then the max was 3.x Ghz models and this still applies today. Just they have multiple cores.

Anonymous

I meant that the average PC is STILL 2.x GHz. the average should be 8Ghz by now since I had a 2.2GHz(*) athlon like 6 years ago! I got a 2.2GHz Phenom x4!

The world of computing tech has slowed down so much!

I notice that intel has 88 core processors that they made like 3 years ago, but where the hell are they!? We see this awesome tech at shows and stuff but we never see it and it makes me mad. I see all this awesome tech like holographic laptop displays, smart phones more powerful then the average computer, but yet it never comes. These companies just want to sit on the old technology and milk it for all its worth and continue to milk it till the cow runs out, then they finally release the new tech.

Stop regressing companies….. we want our quantum computers yesterday!

(*)->this was the average speed of processors then the max was 3.x Ghz models and this still applies today. Just they have multiple cores.

I have to disagree with you there.

Around the P4 era, when the gigahertz wars were peaking, companies started to back off and realise there are more important things than gigahertz. Technology has continued to advance at an amazing rate, what with quad core’s and i5/i7’s.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking because the chips have a lower number, that they are slower and not as advanced.

Anonymous

I have to disagree with you there.

Around the P4 era, when the gigahertz wars were peaking, companies started to back off and realise there are more important things than gigahertz. Technology has continued to advance at an amazing rate, what with quad core’s and i5/i7’s.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking because the chips have a lower number, that they are slower and not as advanced.

Well when ALL 4 of MY cores are struggling then something’s gotta change. I think software is to blame as well. They are making it so bloated.

(ADOBE I AM TALKING TO YOU!!)

I hate most software companies. They think making the application more bloated will make it better but it does not. They are just falling for the stupid bling factor that is taking over software these days. Like when media players have that stupid cpu hogging cover flow that serves NO purpose. Websites are doing that now as well. a slidr slide show will hog 20% my my cpu! or when people put those globe applications that have a fully flash 3d globe that displays the countries of the visitors on thier blog it consumes at 50%!

I also notice that when I go to myspace sites and don’t have my flashblock IE script on my commit charge kill (512MB) will kick in like 1 minute after I got to it and my cpu quota capped not kill (50% max for browser iexplore.exe*32) as well since I have both defined for windows system resource manager. If a freakin website will use 50% of my cpu power that is something really really wrong!

Look we got 4 cores we need to enjoy the speed of them, not bog them down more so it feels we are back to the 486 days again! Let us gloat that our cores are sleeping while your app is running, not sob and say our cores are working thier buttocks off!

Anonymous

Well when ALL 4 of MY cores are struggling then something’s gotta change. I think software is to blame as well. They are making it so bloated.

(ADOBE I AM TALKING TO YOU!!)

I hate most software companies. They think making the application more bloated will make it better but it does not. They are just falling for the stupid bling factor that is taking over software these days. Like when media players have that stupid cpu hogging cover flow that serves NO purpose. Websites are doing that now as well. a slidr slide show will hog 20% my my cpu! or when people put those globe applications that have a fully flash 3d globe that displays the countries of the visitors on thier blog it consumes at 50%!

I also notice that when I go to myspace sites and don’t have my flashblock IE script on my commit charge kill (512MB) will kick in like 1 minute after I got to it and my cpu quota capped not kill (50% max for browser iexplore.exe*32) as well since I have both defined for windows system resource manager. If a freakin website will use 50% of my cpu power that is something really really wrong!

Look we got 4 cores we need to enjoy the speed of them, not bog them down more so it feels we are back to the 486 days again! Let us gloat that our cores are sleeping while your app is running, not sob and say our cores are working thier buttocks off!

@RemixedCat wrote:

I’ve got a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo, and I’ll bet it can wipe the floor with a 2.2GHz Athlon from 6 years ago. Hell, any CPU from 6 years ago.

Just they have multiple cores.

You’re either joking or really ignorant. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the 2GHz mark is the optimum for the average computer, and that switching to multiple cores and parallel processing was the next logical step?

I don’t get you. First you say you want 8GHz processors, and then you drool over 88-core CPUs. You can’t have both, you know – for one, power consumption would be insane. The gigaherz race is over, accept that.

Anonymous

@RemixedCat wrote:

I’ve got a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo, and I’ll bet it can wipe the floor with a 2.2GHz Athlon from 6 years ago. Hell, any CPU from 6 years ago.

Just they have multiple cores.

You’re either joking or really ignorant. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the 2GHz mark is the optimum for the average computer, and that switching to multiple cores and parallel processing was the next logical step?

I don’t get you. First you say you want 8GHz processors, and then you drool over 88-core CPUs. You can’t have both, you know – for one, power consumption would be insane. The gigaherz race is over, accept that.

this is coming from someone who thought 32 bit was good enough, remember indrek?! LOLz.
                    you thought that 32 bit was good enough and it isn’t 😆

when I model stuff in any 32 bit 3d modelling software most of the time it crashes when i load anything that is over 40,000 polys.

if the cores are faster they get the work done faster. I did not say anything that I was against multicores. LOLz.

But I don’t overclock. I did once on this and it was too hot for my heatsink only solution (my singular fan died on this becuase it was cheap plastic that cracked)

people just need to make more efficiant software and that’s the end of this discussion.

let’s instead speculate on what shoudl be in the next windows release->

I got some ideas:

better recovery tools that aren’t disk wasting like restore

smarter superfetch

application sandboxing (will be in midrori)

better account controls and access

better security due to application sandboxing

application porting->useful for applications like photoshop,you can basically save your install and make it portable from computer to computer via a pen drive or even good if you reformat. (messing with adobe support is a headache to reactivate and do not help you if you bought it from a local shop) my architecture software is portable secured pen drive portable (but it needs a dongle to work if using it like that). I am also running the server/master version so its even wierder.

something like xkill in linux. or a quick hey to halt any crashing apps that do not want to close. better crash control

central package manager like linux. Also will manage updates for all software as well. adept is a good example.

I can think of a ton of other things

Anonymous

this is coming from someone who thought 32 bit was good enough, remember indrek?! LOLz.

when I model stuff in any 32 bit 3d modelling software most of the time it crashes when i load anything that is over 40,000 polys.

if the cores are faster they get the work done faster. I did not say anything that I was against multicores. LOLz.

But I don’t overclock. I did once on this and it was too hot for my heatsink only solution (my singular fan died on this becuase it was cheap plastic that cracked)

people just need to make more efficiant software and that’s the end of this discussion.

let’s instead speculate on what shoudl be in the next windows release->

I got some ideas:

better recovery tools that aren’t disk wasting like restore

smarter superfetch

application sandboxing (will be in midrori)

better account controls and access

better security due to application sandboxing

application porting->useful for applications like photoshop,you can basically save your install and make it portable from computer to computer via a pen drive or even good if you reformat. (messing with adobe support is a headache to reactivate and do not help you if you bought it from a local shop) my architecture software is portable secured pen drive portable (but it needs a dongle to work if using it like that). I am also running the server/master version so its even wierder.

something like xkill in linux. or a quick hey to halt any crashing apps that do not want to close. better crash control

central package manager like linux. Also will manage updates for all software as well. adept is a good example.

I can think of a ton of other things

@Indrek wrote:

I kind of gave up after she argued how exceptions worked based on her interpretation, despite a microsoft technical reference contradicting her. And after she stated using 32 bit software was empirically less stable on a 64 bit cpu.

Anonymous

@Indrek wrote:

I kind of gave up after she argued how exceptions worked based on her interpretation, despite a microsoft technical reference contradicting her. And after she stated using 32 bit software was empirically less stable on a 64 bit cpu.

My case was isolated and unique to me ok. my problem. my computer you were in deNILE (get outta egypt!). (it was repeatable though if you would have followed the steps to a free reformat!)

If you would just accept my problem and move on like a mature person and accept that I had the problem on my own computer then it would be all kittens and rainbows right now. but Nope you choose to deny I had the problem and act like a troll and keep irritating me then its your own fault.

BTW what part of the country are you from and how old are you?

instead of trolling me why don’t you enjoy some nice turkey and mashed taters!!

Anonymous

My case was isolated and unique to me ok. my problem. my computer you were in deNILE (get outta egypt!). (it was repeatable though if you would have followed the steps to a free reformat!)

If you would just accept my problem and move on like a mature person and accept that I had the problem on my own computer then it would be all kittens and rainbows right now. but Nope you choose to deny I had the problem and act like a troll and keep irritating me then its your own fault.

BTW what part of the country are you from and how old are you?

instead of trolling me why don’t you enjoy some nice turkey and mashed taters!!

@RemixedCat wrote:

I don’t recall making that statement at the moment, but I very well might have, since 32-bit is good enough for a lot of people. It’s nice that you do advanced 3D modelling. That makes you one of the people who really do benefit from 64-bit computing. I do programming, run VMs, and record and process audio. That makes me also one of the people who benefit from 64-bit computing. But that doesn’t mean that every one of the billion or so people who uses Windows, or computers in general, needs what 64-bit offers.
                          Edit: ah, I think I found the discussion you were talking about. You might want to read through it again, to better understand what I was trying to say, instead of randomly ripping statements out of context and criticising them.

Anyway, you’re right, let’s keep this focused on Windows and its future. One thing I would really like to see, and what you mentioned as well, is a central package manager. Actually Microsoft already have a pretty powerful mechanism in place with Windows Update, so if they’d simply expand it to also offer downloads and updates for 3rd party software, that’d take care of this issue. Of course, there are myriad legal issues to overcome, but that doesn’t mean one can’t dream.

Anonymous

@RemixedCat wrote:

I don’t recall making that statement at the moment, but I very well might have, since 32-bit is good enough for a lot of people. It’s nice that you do advanced 3D modelling. That makes you one of the people who really do benefit from 64-bit computing. I do programming, run VMs, and record and process audio. That makes me also one of the people who benefit from 64-bit computing. But that doesn’t mean that every one of the billion or so people who uses Windows, or computers in general, needs what 64-bit offers.
                            Edit: ah, I think I found the discussion you were talking about. You might want to read through it again, to better understand what I was trying to say, instead of randomly ripping statements out of context and criticising them.

Anyway, you’re right, let’s keep this focused on Windows and its future. One thing I would really like to see, and what you mentioned as well, is a central package manager. Actually Microsoft already have a pretty powerful mechanism in place with Windows Update, so if they’d simply expand it to also offer downloads and updates for 3rd party software, that’d take care of this issue. Of course, there are myriad legal issues to overcome, but that doesn’t mean one can’t dream.

I disagree with the idea of a central repository. I don’t see it ever working from a legal standpoint, and would prefer to have control over where I get my software. The MSI format is currently one of the most advanced package formats available, and I am more than happy with it.

RC,

I was never denying you had a problem, only that you misunderstood the cause of the problem. When I informed you you were incorrect, and provided a microsoft tech reference, you ignored it in favour of your subjective interpretation. That says a lot.

Anonymous

I disagree with the idea of a central repository. I don’t see it ever working from a legal standpoint, and would prefer to have control over where I get my software. The MSI format is currently one of the most advanced package formats available, and I am more than happy with it.

RC,

I was never denying you had a problem, only that you misunderstood the cause of the problem. When I informed you you were incorrect, and provided a microsoft tech reference, you ignored it in favour of your subjective interpretation. That says a lot.

@RemixedCat wrote:

My case was isolated and unique to me ok. […]

It’s preferred if you don’t use extremely bright colours as it is hard to read unless you highlight it.

Anonymous

@RemixedCat wrote:

My case was isolated and unique to me ok. […]

It’s preferred if you don’t use extremely bright colours as it is hard to read unless you highlight it.

I use another theme+local CSS overrides. 🙂

Now I thought of a few features:

SmartMTP->where it will extend windows media players playlist functions to the windows explorer shell for playlist syncing.Bypasses the need to open WMP to do a quick playlist sync to sansa fuze, toshiba, and others like it. Zunes do not work with this very well but may change.

VOIP support for applications like skype USB phones, have a VOIP manager to control the sound of it and manage other features. Windows audio control panel is very weak for IP phones and skype never seems to save audio settings. This would help for those who are having trouble with this issue.

Anonymous

I use another theme+local CSS overrides. 🙂

Now I thought of a few features:

SmartMTP->where it will extend windows media players playlist functions to the windows explorer shell for playlist syncing.Bypasses the need to open WMP to do a quick playlist sync to sansa fuze, toshiba, and others like it. Zunes do not work with this very well but may change.

VOIP support for applications like skype USB phones, have a VOIP manager to control the sound of it and manage other features. Windows audio control panel is very weak for IP phones and skype never seems to save audio settings. This would help for those who are having trouble with this issue.

I’m sure you will take this as me trolling, but I’m not, and you should not take it as such.

I really think you should learn a bit more about how Windows and operating systems in general work, before discussing features you think should be included in the next release.

That is all.

Anonymous

I’m sure you will take this as me trolling, but I’m not, and you should not take it as such.

I really think you should learn a bit more about how Windows and operating systems in general work, before discussing features you think should be included in the next release.

That is all.

I know tons about windows! I also know about UNIX/Linux, and Mac. I worked for 3 hosting companies that ran 3 flavours of Linux and Windows server 2003/2008. I built and installed a COMPLETE 200PC+10 server network with 2 Juniper Networks Routers and several Cisco switches {yes I used 2008 R2 on the servers} for a network for a business just 6 weeks ago! OMG You are stupid to assume I know nothing about windows. Yes you are a troll and stop it. You came to this site A SERVER FORUM, questioned us for using a SERVER OS, then come here to me, A USER THAT’S BEEN HERE LONGER THEN YOU, and try to get me riled up, and then question my IT knowledge, therefore your behavoiur on here has definitly aligned with a TROLL! I am sick to bloody hell of your antics and I would like it of you would stop doing this. I have never seen such repulsive antics by anyone.

Moderators, Please do something about him This forum was fine till he showed up and started to pull this crap. I am sick of it.

Anonymous

I know tons about windows! I also know about UNIX/Linux, and Mac. I worked for 3 hosting companies that ran 3 flavours of Linux and Windows server 2003/2008. I built and installed a COMPLETE 200PC+10 server network with 2 Juniper Networks Routers and several Cisco switches {yes I used 2008 R2 on the servers} for a network for a business just 6 weeks ago! OMG You are stupid to assume I know nothing about windows. Yes you are a troll and stop it. You came to this site A SERVER FORUM, questioned us for using a SERVER OS, then come here to me, A USER THAT’S BEEN HERE LONGER THEN YOU, and try to get me riled up, and then question my IT knowledge, therefore your behavoiur on here has definitly aligned with a TROLL! I am sick to bloody hell of your antics and I would like it of you would stop doing this. I have never seen such repulsive antics by anyone.

Moderators, Please do something about him This forum was fine till he showed up and started to pull this crap. I am sick of it.

I’m not a troll at all. That’s simply your goto insult when you disagree with people.

I pointed out a few times when you were wrong and why, and provided technical authoritative resources to support my claim.

The fact that you were on this board before me, or managed to install linux means absolutely nothing. It is what you say that counts, and the things you say are often misinformed.

I made a post in the feedback section wishing that there could be some technical oversight to such discussions, to deal with your spreading FUD and insulting people who call you on it, but so far no response.

Anonymous

I’m not a troll at all. That’s simply your goto insult when you disagree with people.

I pointed out a few times when you were wrong and why, and provided technical authoritative resources to support my claim.

The fact that you were on this board before me, or managed to install linux means absolutely nothing. It is what you say that counts, and the things you say are often misinformed.

I made a post in the feedback section wishing that there could be some technical oversight to such discussions, to deal with your spreading FUD and insulting people who call you on it, but so far no response.

I wasn’t spreading FUD I told the truth when I posted the stuff about the BSOD.

You only pointed out ONE article that had NOTHING to do with MY PROBLEM. Most people do not mess with the windows update service like I did.

Most people will not becuase they WANT UPDATES. I don’t want the update thing nagging me so i had it disabled in services.msc.

I made a mistake and accidentally told IE8 setup to perform updates

and that’s what happened. since I had to restart to complete setup.

and since it installs the updates before windows is fully started up (still at the server 2008 splash screen where it says welcome,preparing desktop, etc)

but since I did not have the windows update service starting up it had an EXCEPTION becuase it needed that to run in order to do the updates!

what part of that don’t you understand.

This was so rare to me and my case that others don’t do that. so they don’t experience it.

it might not be the case in your much beloved windows 7 OS and they might have fixed it in R2, however it is still present in R1.

Anonymous

I wasn’t spreading FUD I told the truth when I posted the stuff about the BSOD.

You only pointed out ONE article that had NOTHING to do with MY PROBLEM. Most people do not mess with the windows update service like I did.

Most people will not becuase they WANT UPDATES. I don’t want the update thing nagging me so i had it disabled in services.msc.

I made a mistake and accidentally told IE8 setup to perform updates

and that’s what happened. since I had to restart to complete setup.

and since it installs the updates before windows is fully started up (still at the server 2008 splash screen where it says welcome,preparing desktop, etc)

but since I did not have the windows update service starting up it had an EXCEPTION becuase it needed that to run in order to do the updates!

what part of that don’t you understand.

This was so rare to me and my case that others don’t do that. so they don’t experience it.

it might not be the case in your much beloved windows 7 OS and they might have fixed it in R2, however it is still present in R1.

Oh and before you say “well provide the information from event viewer”

I couldn’t becuase I couldn’t even go into to safe mode. It would give me the BSOD in safe or normal mode.

I needed to reformat to be able to use my computer again.

Anonymous

Oh and before you say “well provide the information from event viewer”

I couldn’t becuase I couldn’t even go into to safe mode. It would give me the BSOD in safe or normal mode.

I needed to reformat to be able to use my computer again.

Guys, come on. I thought we were done with that. You want to keep discussing it, take it to PMs or email or something.

Anonymous

Guys, come on. I thought we were done with that. You want to keep discussing it, take it to PMs or email or something.

Yes I am sick of him bringin it up. Why can’t he accept I had the problem and move on. I’m not gonna feed him anymore. He obviously is behaving like a troll would. Trolls like to come to forums that are not very active, stir up mess, and get long term members crazed and mad and make them leave so they can spam the place. His username seems very random since i do not find anything in google under that username. He also comes on here questioning us using a server os instead of using windows seven. Then he says that windows 2008 workstation has no real performance gains over windows seven, and constantly saying that my gaming performance increase is NOT from server 2008, when I clearly tried borderlands in windows seven 64 bit RTM and my FPS on this same system was 15-20 FPS LOWER (as well as with other games like Dragon age origins and assassins creed). I also get much better multimedia performance from R1 than 7, vista, and R2 (*)!

But I did get great performance on R2 when I did try it and I would be using it if it was as easily configurable as R1 was to get the pimped out workstation experience and to get superfetch working without dedicating a whole day to getting it work right. As well as my architecture software not running right in R2. Also my company bought me R1 around late OCT of last year and they don’t feel it is much different for them to purchase me the two copies as well as the other 200 and some pcs that use this in thier company. They picked a server os becuase the way the architecture software is designed. The company is using custom software that is the only in the industry that can group edit in real time and our software uses resources that server OSes support. Alao server 2008 R1 and R2 have windows system resource manager…. need I say more!

(*)windows media player did crash alot on R2 and I think it’s related to the new codec set that is bundled with it (R2’s is slightly different becuase features it depends on in 7 are not present in R2), as well as playlist control being different due to the slighly different backing store config. it’s best to start your playlists over in WMP12 becuase of this. But it does suck for people like me with over 30 used playlists a day allready created in wmp11.

Anonymous

Yes I am sick of him bringin it up. Why can’t he accept I had the problem and move on. I’m not gonna feed him anymore. He obviously is behaving like a troll would. Trolls like to come to forums that are not very active, stir up mess, and get long term members crazed and mad and make them leave so they can spam the place. His username seems very random since i do not find anything in google under that username. He also comes on here questioning us using a server os instead of using windows seven. Then he says that windows 2008 workstation has no real performance gains over windows seven, and constantly saying that my gaming performance increase is NOT from server 2008, when I clearly tried borderlands in windows seven 64 bit RTM and my FPS on this same system was 15-20 FPS LOWER (as well as with other games like Dragon age origins and assassins creed). I also get much better multimedia performance from R1 than 7, vista, and R2 (*)!

But I did get great performance on R2 when I did try it and I would be using it if it was as easily configurable as R1 was to get the pimped out workstation experience and to get superfetch working without dedicating a whole day to getting it work right. As well as my architecture software not running right in R2. Also my company bought me R1 around late OCT of last year and they don’t feel it is much different for them to purchase me the two copies as well as the other 200 and some pcs that use this in thier company. They picked a server os becuase the way the architecture software is designed. The company is using custom software that is the only in the industry that can group edit in real time and our software uses resources that server OSes support. Alao server 2008 R1 and R2 have windows system resource manager…. need I say more!

(*)windows media player did crash alot on R2 and I think it’s related to the new codec set that is bundled with it (R2’s is slightly different becuase features it depends on in 7 are not present in R2), as well as playlist control being different due to the slighly different backing store config. it’s best to start your playlists over in WMP12 becuase of this. But it does suck for people like me with over 30 used playlists a day allready created in wmp11.

Well, people can judge for themselves.

No other user considers me to be a troll, but then I have not had altercations with any other user. Well, I did with one, JonusC, who was able to discuss the matter on a technical level and concede that he was wrong.

I joined this forum because I use R2 as my workstation, and was actually on this website since 2003.

I am not trying to trouble shit up, and everything I say can be backed up by a technical reference. I like to debate things on a technical level, as objectively as possible.

I understand that some people are incapable of that, and consider their incorrect interpretations of events to be facts, however that does not make the people who call them out on such behavior trolls.

What we need is for a third party with an actual technical understanding such as Arris or JonusC to get involved, and correct certain peoples views. Until intervention, this kind of rubbish will continue, since it goes unchecked.

Anonymous

Well, people can judge for themselves.

No other user considers me to be a troll, but then I have not had altercations with any other user. Well, I did with one, JonusC, who was able to discuss the matter on a technical level and concede that he was wrong.

I joined this forum because I use R2 as my workstation, and was actually on this website since 2003.

I am not trying to trouble shit up, and everything I say can be backed up by a technical reference. I like to debate things on a technical level, as objectively as possible.

I understand that some people are incapable of that, and consider their incorrect interpretations of events to be facts, however that does not make the people who call them out on such behavior trolls.

What we need is for a third party with an actual technical understanding such as Arris or JonusC to get involved, and correct certain peoples views. Until intervention, this kind of rubbish will continue, since it goes unchecked.

And your saying I have no tech understanding. woah you are the one being judgemental. They prolly won’t want to replicate it since it involves a reformat. It is very complicated to replicate this. I lost 1 months worth of data over this. I WOULD NOT LIE ABOUT A SITUATION LIKE THIS! I would fire up a VM to show you but your not worth the 3 hours it takes to get to the ability to replicate the situation.

Also BTW you cannot google this becuase most people don’t go through that or mess with windows update services.

Just admit I had the problem allready, get over it, and move on with your life. Are you an older 50 year old person who talks me down becuase I’m younger then you? or are you some emo 16 year old who thinks the world hates you so you have to take your pain and frustrations out on others? Becuase I feel sorry for you if you do.

Just becuase I don’t word things like a PHD doesn’t mean I am not technical. I like to put things into words common folks can understand so they can learn from me, and not use things that are over thier heads. I train people in this kinda stuff everyday and they love how I teach them becuase I put in it plain english and not to jargon it up too much like some people do. I try to make computers less intimidating for people, and doing that they come into computers as less of a n00b.

I can’t belive you are still so obsessed about it. You must be obsessed with me. I am quite flattered you waste your time on my situation. Do you care about me or something? I appreciate it if you do.

Did this site even exist in 2003??? I don’t think MS even had much info about server 2008 back then?? LOLz

Anonymous

And your saying I have no tech understanding. woah you are the one being judgemental. They prolly won’t want to replicate it since it involves a reformat. It is very complicated to replicate this. I lost 1 months worth of data over this. I WOULD NOT LIE ABOUT A SITUATION LIKE THIS! I would fire up a VM to show you but your not worth the 3 hours it takes to get to the ability to replicate the situation.

Also BTW you cannot google this becuase most people don’t go through that or mess with windows update services.

Just admit I had the problem allready, get over it, and move on with your life. Are you an older 50 year old person who talks me down becuase I’m younger then you? or are you some emo 16 year old who thinks the world hates you so you have to take your pain and frustrations out on others? Becuase I feel sorry for you if you do.

Just becuase I don’t word things like a PHD doesn’t mean I am not technical. I like to put things into words common folks can understand so they can learn from me, and not use things that are over thier heads. I train people in this kinda stuff everyday and they love how I teach them becuase I put in it plain english and not to jargon it up too much like some people do. I try to make computers less intimidating for people, and doing that they come into computers as less of a n00b.

I can’t belive you are still so obsessed about it. You must be obsessed with me. I am quite flattered you waste your time on my situation. Do you care about me or something? I appreciate it if you do.

Did this site even exist in 2003??? I don’t think MS even had much info about server 2008 back then?? LOLz

I apologise to the other readers. After talking to some other members on the site, I understand this is a lost cause and won’t bother responding from now on.

Just to clarify some points however:

I was reading this site back in 2003 when it was focused on server 2003. I am certain it is the same basic site, updated as the versions progressed.

I am not a judgmental person at all. The reason I don’t consider you to be technical is for the claims you make, since they illustrate your lack of understand. The claims you have made in this thread about CPUs for instance.

You seem to be taking my pointing out that you were incorrect very personally, when there is no need to. I don’t think you are deliberately lying, nor do I make any judgements as to the type of person you are. I only note what is stated, and that it is incorrect. I don’t much care for anything past that.

Anyway. After checking with other members on the site and seeing that this is your normal pattern of behavior, there isn’t any point in responding. I should have figured that out the first time you accused me of being a troll and misogynist simply because I disagreed with you.

Anonymous

I apologise to the other readers. After talking to some other members on the site, I understand this is a lost cause and won’t bother responding from now on.

Just to clarify some points however:

I was reading this site back in 2003 when it was focused on server 2003. I am certain it is the same basic site, updated as the versions progressed.

I am not a judgmental person at all. The reason I don’t consider you to be technical is for the claims you make, since they illustrate your lack of understand. The claims you have made in this thread about CPUs for instance.

You seem to be taking my pointing out that you were incorrect very personally, when there is no need to. I don’t think you are deliberately lying, nor do I make any judgements as to the type of person you are. I only note what is stated, and that it is incorrect. I don’t much care for anything past that.

Anyway. After checking with other members on the site and seeing that this is your normal pattern of behavior, there isn’t any point in responding. I should have figured that out the first time you accused me of being a troll and misogynist simply because I disagreed with you.

Bah, so you assume this becuase my posting style is different. You’re right, you are wasting your time. But your registration date is very new. Is this a new account at this site?? if so why?

You were accusing me of lying, you were accusing me of things and making me look bad just becuase you have a strange fixation with my problem, witch is not googleable, not everything is. Theres a eurodance singer I like but theres no info about her online anywhere. Does that mean she doesn’t exist becuase she is not on goggle. She wouldn’t becuase that is what your reasoning is. LOLz.

You are a lost cause. Plain as that. Nobody had a problem on here until YOU showed up.

I am a very technical person, I just don’t have to show it in the most articulate geeky ways. I am smooth at it and make my points into words real people can understand, not geekbots.

Anonymous

Bah, so you assume this becuase my posting style is different. You’re right, you are wasting your time. But your registration date is very new. Is this a new account at this site?? if so why?

You were accusing me of lying, you were accusing me of things and making me look bad just becuase you have a strange fixation with my problem, witch is not googleable, not everything is. Theres a eurodance singer I like but theres no info about her online anywhere. Does that mean she doesn’t exist becuase she is not on goggle. She wouldn’t becuase that is what your reasoning is. LOLz.

You are a lost cause. Plain as that. Nobody had a problem on here until YOU showed up.

I am a very technical person, I just don’t have to show it in the most articulate geeky ways. I am smooth at it and make my points into words real people can understand, not geekbots.

Hi,
                                                        Windows 7 has just came and it’s really great that windows 8 must be coming so soon.

I heard that it would have 64bit support not 128bit.

Anonymous

Hi,
                                                          Windows 7 has just came and it’s really great that windows 8 must be coming so soon.

I heard that it would have 64bit support not 128bit.

ZOMG I missed the trolling in Open Topic! You all smell like pine trees!

*Throws cheese at Indrek*
                                                          *Kicks a buffalo with “J.F. was ‘ere” painted on it*
                                                          *Hisses at R.C.*

Win.

Dunno how this all started but the three of you are just as stubborn/proud as the other. And we’re all as equally geeky here, there’s no need to argue about who has the biggest spacebar or flattest mousemat – look at the fudging forum we’re on!

ON TOPIC, yeah… Windows 8….. a.k.a Not-windows-at-all-just-made-to-look-that-way-to-publicize-better Midori Experiment…. 😉

Anonymous

ZOMG I missed the trolling in Open Topic! You all smell like pine trees!

*Throws cheese at Indrek*
                                                            *Kicks a buffalo with “J.F. was ‘ere” painted on it*
                                                            *Hisses at R.C.*

Win.

Dunno how this all started but the three of you are just as stubborn/proud as the other. And we’re all as equally geeky here, there’s no need to argue about who has the biggest spacebar or flattest mousemat – look at the fudging forum we’re on!

ON TOPIC, yeah… Windows 8….. a.k.a Not-windows-at-all-just-made-to-look-that-way-to-publicize-better Midori Experiment…. 😉

@JonusC wrote:

Dunno how this all started

I was disappointed in your reply Jonus. As one of the few people with established technical cred on this forum, I was hoping you could weigh in and dispell some pretty blatant misconceptions. It seems you, along with everyone else is too polite to do so.

“this started” because some people are saying some outrageous, factually incorrect things, and some people are calling them on it.

It isn’t to do with being stubborn, it’s only about trying to get people to realize that factual evidence is worth slightly more than a misinterpreted anecdote.

Anonymous

@JonusC wrote:

Dunno how this all started

I was disappointed in your reply Jonus. As one of the few people with established technical cred on this forum, I was hoping you could weigh in and dispell some pretty blatant misconceptions. It seems you, along with everyone else is too polite to do so.

“this started” because some people are saying some outrageous, factually incorrect things, and some people are calling them on it.

It isn’t to do with being stubborn, it’s only about trying to get people to realize that factual evidence is worth slightly more than a misinterpreted anecdote.

Anonymous

RemixedCat you don’t happen to be Liz Kowalsky, Game designer/3D Modeller of Badash Games (http://badashgames.blogspot.com/)?

I have seen some of your work and it’s quite impressing, keep it up!

You seem to have quite a lot of experience in computers and in the technical area, what’s your honest opinion of 64-bit computing and Windows Server 2008 / R2?

Anonymous

RemixedCat you don’t happen to be Liz Kowalsky, Game designer/3D Modeller of Badash Games (http://badashgames.blogspot.com/)?

You seem to have quite a lot of experience in computers and in the technical area, what’s your honest opinion of 64-bit computing and Windows Server 2008 / R2?

@Dark Server 2008 wrote:

[s:101kaq59]This is just sad.

RC's blog where she clearly lists Badash games as her own company.

http://remixedcat.blogspot.com/

People wouldn't randomly recognize you from your posts on this forum to be a designer at a game company. How stupid do you think people are?

Enough with the attention seeking already.[/s:101kaq59]

Arris Edit: I don’t read all of your and rmxcat’s contributions, but this is clearly a bias about her which is absolutely not constructive! Please behave normally or if you can’t, ignore each other. That way we can keep the forum positive and constructive as it was founded for. Thanks! 🙂

Anonymous

@Dark Server 2008 wrote:

[s:101kaq59]This is just sad.

RC's blog where she clearly lists Badash games as her own company.

http://remixedcat.blogspot.com/

People wouldn't randomly recognize you from your posts on this forum to be a designer at a game company. How stupid do you think people are?

Enough with the attention seeking already.[/s:101kaq59]

Arris Edit: I don’t read all of your and rmxcat’s contributions, but this is clearly a bias about her which is absolutely not constructive! Please behave normally or if you can’t, ignore each other. That way we can keep the forum positive and constructive as it was founded for. Thanks! 🙂

Yes that is my gaming company.

I have registered with another screenname on this forum since my cookies are fudged.

I cannot belive that you would question that.

JF. You are prolly the most hillarious person I know. LOL.

Me and my husband are working on the fantasy game that is listed on the site. We have stalled on the project becuase of getting a new house and it needs work.

If you are that stupid of a person to constantly troll me than you have no life.

You seem to be acting like cornwiggle, a troll who is messing up my sister’s youtube accounts, got her hacked, rated her videos really bad, and is generally acting like a douche. This seems to be you. You must be really bored. I suggest you pick up a hobby that is not so distructive, like World of warcraft at least.

Anonymous

Yes that is my gaming company.

I have registered with another screenname on this forum since my cookies are fudged.

I cannot belive that you would question that.

JF. You are prolly the most hillarious person I know. LOL.

Me and my husband are working on the fantasy game that is listed on the site. We have stalled on the project becuase of getting a new house and it needs work.

If you are that stupid of a person to constantly troll me than you have no life.

You seem to be acting like cornwiggle, a troll who is messing up my sister’s youtube accounts, got her hacked, rated her videos really bad, and is generally acting like a douche. This seems to be you. You must be really bored. I suggest you pick up a hobby that is not so distructive, like World of warcraft at least.

proof that I do own the blog in question (the remixed cat one) I just made an edit. 🙂

Anonymous

proof that I do own the blog in question (the remixed cat one) I just made an edit. 🙂

Arris
                                                                        Moderator

@rmxcat wrote:

Or you are a hacker. 😉
                                                                          But please stop this arguing. It won’t help us any further in increasing our knowledge, helping each other out with problems or satisfying our wishes in the Wish lists. 🙂

• #60009
                                                                          Anonymous

@rmxcat wrote:

Or you are a hacker. 😉
                                                                            But please stop this arguing. It won’t help us any further in increasing our knowledge, helping each other out with problems or satisfying our wishes in the Wish lists. 🙂

• #50191

Well he started this whole thing by:

1) making the thread “people using windows server 2008 R1 instead of windows 7”
                                                                            a)I replied to it and said that there are a few key removed features that kept me on R1 instead of R2

b)He said those features are just graphical and not a deal at all

c)I said those were a R2 breaker for ME and he kept questioning it.

2)I had a feature I suggested to have a better self healing error recovery system to help against my problem I had about the BSOD.

a)He kept denying I had the error and told me I knew NOTHING about operating systems

b)he kept making remarks about my “lack of experience” when he does NOT know me at all.

c) kept repeatedly making remarks about me knowing nothing and kept harrassing me.

Now he goes and says I do not own my OWN BLOGSPOT. and then yells at someone who supported me and said something positive about me, so he attacks them.

I did not hack that blogspot it is all mine.

I just think that JF needs to understand how people work. I think he also needs to lay off me and leave me alone. I did nothing to hurt him and this is how he kept treating me. I truly feel sorry for him,

• #60010
                                                                            Anonymous

Well he started this whole thing by:

1) making the thread “people using windows server 2008 R1 instead of windows 7”
                                                                              a)I replied to it and said that there are a few key removed features that kept me on R1 instead of R2

b)He said those features are just graphical and not a deal at all

c)I said those were a R2 breaker for ME and he kept questioning it.

2)I had a feature I suggested to have a better self healing error recovery system to help against my problem I had about the BSOD.

a)He kept denying I had the error and told me I knew NOTHING about operating systems

b)he kept making remarks about my “lack of experience” when he does NOT know me at all.

c) kept repeatedly making remarks about me knowing nothing and kept harrassing me.

Now he goes and says I do not own my OWN BLOGSPOT. and then yells at someone who supported me and said something positive about me, so he attacks them.

I did not hack that blogspot it is all mine.

I just think that JF needs to understand how people work. I think he also needs to lay off me and leave me alone. I did nothing to hurt him and this is how he kept treating me. I truly feel sorry for him,

• #50192

I’m not getting involved again at all, but I would just like to point out that pretty much everything in the above post is untrue, and people can easily verify this for themselves.

• #60011
                                                                              Anonymous

I’m not getting involved again at all, but I would just like to point out that pretty much everything in the above post is untrue, and people can easily verify this for themselves.

• #50193
                                                                                Arris
                                                                                Moderator

Alright, way too much off-topic talk. Topic closed!

• #60012
                                                                                  Anonymous

Alright, way too much off-topic talk. Topic closed!

Viewing 72 reply threads
                                                                                • The topic ‘Windows 8 coming in 2011-2012??’ is closed to new replies.