Windows 7 Installer Check

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Windows 7 Installer Check

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Certain installers simply refuse to install on R2 even though they might very well work. Is there a way to circumvent this check? BlazeBack refused to install 🙁

Thanks!

-Ravelstein

I meant BackBlaze.

Depends on how exactly it checks for the OS type and version. There’s a couple of workarounds documented here on the forum for various programs (mostly antivirus software), but there’s no guarantee they’ll work for you.

viewtopic.php?p=4802#p4802
      http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/security-software#comment-193
      viewtopic.php?p=5373#p5373
      viewtopic.php?p=5786#p5786

If the installer is an .exe wrapper for an .msi, you can try extracting the files and running the .msi manually, which sometimes helps. See here for instructions (Zune-specific, but should be easily adapted to other programs provided the installer works the same way):
      http://blogs.technet.com/b/roblarson/archive/2008/11/21/installing-zune-3-1-on-windows-server-2008-x64.aspx

Thanks Indrek!

if it’s an MSI, you can edit it with Orca to remove the anti-server LaunchCondition check.

if it’s not an MSI at all and no MSI is involved, use Application Verifier with the HighVersionLie feature.

The Application Verifier program will intercept the GetVersion/ GetVersionEx API calls to allow applications to run on legacy operating systems. For example I was able to get Windows Easy Transfer to run by simply copying the migwiz folder from a Windows 7 installation to Server 2008 R2 and then changing the HighVersionLie properties to the specs of a windows 7 machine.

@Olipro wrote:

if it’s an MSI, you can edit it with Orca to remove the anti-server LaunchCondition check.

if it’s not an MSI at all and no MSI is involved, use Application Verifier with the HighVersionLie feature.

I am trying to get AcronisTrueImageHome2010 to install, got Orca, but dont know how to use it… I made a thread of my own but was told to look and post in this one, anyone got some clues, im new to Orca

EDIT: got it!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.